mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Boxxer race tuning

Hi anybody here knows how to get the best out of an 04 boxxer race fork? the fork is mated to an azonic eliminator frame and the current set-up of the fork is 200ml of 7.5wt oil in both legs with yellow springs. i weigh 170lbs, i love the sensitivity of the fork on choppy corners but the problem comes in when there are courses with 8-10ft drops the fork would bottom out hard enough for me to lose control.

i have not upgraded to the blackbox rebound upgrade and was wondering if anybody has any feedback on this thing. i also dont want to change to stiffer springs as i might lose the sensitivity of the fork. my idea is to put a 10-15wt oil in the compression leg it might slow down the compression slightly but i guess it would be a better trade-off for a stiffer spring.

mtbr member

Kudos to the Black Boxx upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by poksy
    Hi anybody here knows how to get the best out of an 04 boxxer race fork? the fork is mated to an azonic eliminator frame and the current set-up of the fork is 200ml of 7.5wt oil in both legs with yellow springs. i weigh 170lbs, i love the sensitivity of the fork on choppy corners but the problem comes in when there are courses with 8-10ft drops the fork would bottom out hard enough for me to lose control.

i have not upgraded to the blackbox rebound upgrade and was wondering if anybody has any feedback on this thing. i also dont want to change to stiffer springs as i might lose the sensitivity of the fork. my idea is to put a 10-15wt oil in the compression leg it might slow down the compression slightly but i guess it would be a better trade-off for a stiffer spring.
    Get the black boxx upgrade, the improvement is like nite and day. I got nearly new 03 Boxxer Race for my Bullit on the cheap, and was initially very dissapointed. I broke the fork right away (the thing seized on me) doing a small drop. Turns out the top out rubber/plastic bushing cracked. Since I had to wait for the part anyway, I had my local LBS order the Black Box kit, and heavier springs (for my weight). Now, the fork is so much plusher, smooth, and takes a beating! The stock innards were all plastic crap! The price is right, you wont be sorry........
    Click below

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/boxxerblackbox_04_04.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, i think i'll get the upgrade done.....

Just for my curiosity what's your weight and the springs you put in? did you change oil wt?

mtbr member

Black Boxx upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by poksy
    Thanks, i think i'll get the upgrade done.....

Just for my curiosity what's your weight and the springs you put in? did you change oil wt?

My weight is 190lbs. I forget the color of the spring, I think it was yellow or red, I went according to the chart at the Rock Shox site (or in the manual). I'm running 10wt oil in the fork. Also, if you didnt already do it, make sure you set the fork for full travel, (7"). Mine came stock@ 6". My LBS did it while the fork was apart.

Keep the wheels spinnin'!

Glad to Be Alive
    very, very easy...first off you put it on ebay or the classfieds, 2nd you buy a Super T.
    Third you add a litlle oil and you are set....hopefully this helps
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    very, very easy...first off you put it on ebay or the classfieds, 2nd you buy a Super T.
    Third you add a litlle oil and you are set....hopefully this helps
    True dat.

Also one more thing to keep in mind when upgrading from your Race to a (04)SupaT, you may need to purchase a new front tire, unless you already run a 2.5 or smaller. (04)SupaT's can only accommodate up to a 2.5 tire.

SNOWRIDER
    Has anyone heard when the blackbox upgrade will be availabe for the 05's I am running an 05 on my norco team dh my firm spring will be in it tomorrow and I think I am going to be very happy with it
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydude
    Has anyone heard when the blackbox upgrade will be availabe for the 05's I am running an 05 on my norco team dh my firm spring will be in it tomorrow and I think I am going to be very happy with it
    The 05's have all the Blackbox Developments that have been established to date for consumers. So if you holding your breath waiting for an 05 Blackbox kit, BREATH.

SNOWRIDER
    COOL (big breath)
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Poksy, Can you offer some lessons learned on this old project? I just got an old Boxxer Race with only 500 miles on it. It came with med and firm springs. I've got 1 ride so far on it on the med springs. Absolutely hammering through chunder on it, I was only able to get 4.5" of travel, but they were a VERY NICE smooth supportive 4.5"...

I got into it last night and found that there was WAY too much oil in the right leg, so I was hitting hydraulic lockout. Anyways now that I poured some oil out, the fork is much softer so I may need to go back to the stiffer springs. My question is did anyone ever adjust oil volumes in these forks other than the RS recommended 190cc? It seems that with the reduced headspace, the smaller air pocket in the fork provided some very noticable spring-rate ramp up. Anyone know the maximum volume of oil before the will start to lose travel? Anyone default to heavier than the RS recommended 5 wt oil?

Any other upgrades I should know about?

Kick Start My Heart
    Dude, we are gonna get hammered for thread dredge, can't answer this, but definitely subscribed, as I picked up the same fork last for my budget DH project. Old, but it does the job. I've been dicking with preload spacers mostly, trying to shim the springs for being to soft for my weight. That will be fixed soon, because I found a set of NOS black firm springs, coming in from the U.K. Experimenting with oil is next, and I might be able to answer up come turn of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk