mtbr member

Upset Blue square or Black diamond

Whats the cliff notes version?
    Its my understanding that the hardest/ riskiest lines in a certain area get labled black diamond. Is this true? That its difficulty is only in relation to other lines in the imeadiate area?

What the hell is double black diamond? For when a line is so nice you have to hit it twice?

And blue versus green?

The local forest service is letting us put in advanced features. They all have to be singed according to difficulty.

Thankfully Im not in charge of anything but it was my idea just to sign every thing as double blue square...

reading comprehension wat
    Cliff notes version:

At least this is what ski mountain resorts go by. The signs should tell you. Not exactly a bad idea to adopt existing familiar systems, over investing in an new one. The orange signs usually have S, M, L, XL, to describe the freestyle features. Feel free add to skulls and arrows if there are drops and gaps like seen on Whistler's Dirt Merchant or Mountain Creek/Diablo's trails.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    But its all in relation to whats around it, right?

Otherwise we would see very few double blacks. If. a line is not easy at all you would think it wouldnt be green BUT if its the easiest line in an area of very difficult lines will it get green no matter what?

Were planing on building a bunch of tough lines so all get black diamond and a few get double.... then make one thats hard but not very risky and its a blue....

The other thing is that some people are much better at drops... but some people think steep rollers are easier.... so in the end its all blue square

perpetual pucker factor
    I think you are way overthinking it. A green, blue or black is not rated that way in terms of the terrain around it. It is a general rating based on rider skills that says 'if you are a beginner to riding, a green is probably the best choice for you. If you are decent at riding and don't mind a bit of challenge, go blue. If you are a good rider with solid technical skills, that can handle minor drops, jumps, features, etc that could be pretty dangerous, black. If you are a ripper that can handle mandatory airs, drops, etc with serious consequences, black to double black.

There is nothing worse than someone sandbagging everyone by marking a generally difficult run as something easy . it doesn't make the person rating it seem cool, just as rating easy stuff super triple death black diamond just to seem hardcore. But if you need to decide between two levels, try to consider the caliber of rider that might find your trails. If you see a lot of novice riders going there, err on the side of caution and rate it higher so that they are fully warned.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Yea im glad its not up to me..... when somone asks me a simple qustion like. Is such and such trail easy? Its a 5 min conversation.

**** the signs just look at it.... when in doubt send it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    when in doubt send it.
    Truer words are rarely spoken

trail addict
    Trail Difficulty Ratings and Signs | International Mountain Bicycling Association

The IMBA ratings cover things pretty well. This is for "normal" trails.

If you are talking about dedicated DH trails-shuttle runs or lift access, then it is generally agreed that these ratings need to be bumped up a little.

If your local forest service is letting you put in features, then you should be looking at signage very carefully AND label any dangerous features with something like "obstacle ahead"-for any jumps with a gap no matter how small, mandatory skinnys, drops more than a foot, or ladder bridges higher than a foot.

When in doubt, be cautious. It is not about whether YOU think it is a dangerous obstacle, it is about the noob who sues the forest service for injuries and gets your trail shut down. Seriously, anyone can break a bone falling nearly anywhere, so if you are labeling a trail as green, it better be SAFE, not just the easiest trail in your freeride network.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

pin it
    Our local dh bike park puts a filter at the trail head with the degree of difficulty expected on the trail run. Drops and jumps are typical for black diamonds. Green and blue runs have some gentle to moderate rock or rooty gnarl
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

RideDirt
    Double Black diamonds are the best if you make it out in 1 piece

mtbr member
    The IMBA table is probably a pretty good guide, but I'd take it as a general guideline only. For skiing, the rating is only relative to the mountain itself, and it can vary a huge amount. I imagine its somewhat the same for bike parks.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just ride your bike man. Take it slow on the first run and scope everything out, and then if you're feeling up to it, SEND IT!

Off the back...
    Fuglio had it right earlier: ratings are area-specific, just like they are for ski runs. The Whistler Guide is just a guide, not a rule book. Hopefully the builders have provided a guide of what they consider to be green, blue and black. When in doubt, start with green and go up from there.

trail addict
    Anyone who *buys a lift ticket*, whether skiing or mtbing is probably signing a waiver and should have an idea what they are getting themselves into. Trail designations for lift access are a different story.

If the op is lucky enough to have permission to build on public land, then his group owes it to themselves to designate trails appropriately... And that is not area-specific. I don't care if you have the most badass trail within 100 miles in the middle of Kansas, it doesn't become an expert-only trail just because of its location unless there truly are expert-only features.

Likewise, just because your local buddies may decide that a trail you ride every weekend is easy does not make it a beginner trail. It is only a beginner trail if someone who is a beginner and unfamiliar with the trail thinks it is relatively easy and can ride it safely.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Off the back...
    In principle, I agree with USP, but I rarely see that happen in practice, especially on "blue" trails. There's also the problem of self-perception. "I can ride blue trails at home, so I can ride blue trails at this location." This is a poor assumption...