mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Bike Suitability

My wife and I are looking to get into beginner level downhill mountain biking. Looking at the green trails at places like Blue Mountain in Ontario, or the green trails at Sun Peaks in BC.

I currently have a 2015 Giant Roam 2 and my wife has a Trek Neko, both the hybrid bikes.

My question is: can these bikes handle basic beginner level downhill mountain bike courses? Or are the wheels/tires too fragile? Can the wheels be switched out easily with more appropriate wheels just for downhilling?

I'm all for us getting some full suspension downhill geared bikes once we start doing more serious biking, but for now just wondering what the capabilities of our existing bikes are and if it's enough to get us into the sport.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't recommend it. Rent downhill bikes and see if you like it before investing.

mtbr member
    Considering most green trails at resorts I'm familiar with (like Whistler) you "could" ride those bikes, but the hybrid tires would be a real liability and it wouldn't be representative of "downhill" biking or as fun as it might be with a more capable bike. I'd recommend renting something too. But if you're doing green trails only, you probably don't need full-on downhill bikes. Something in the 140-160mm full suspension range would be fun.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

Professional Troll
    I haven't ridden the green trails at Sun Peaks, but even the Blue trails there are no joke. I remember one of them had 7-8 ft drops, 10-15 ft mandatory doubles, steep, rocky chutes. Equivalent to most resorts' double black trails. So no, those bikes are completely not suitable for Sun Peaks.

mtbr member
    Also, please don't overlook brakes. You'll be pulling those levers like never before.

mtbr member
    Rent or buy used. No point in getting $5k+ paper weight if you do find out later you aren't into it
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown