mtbr member
    Oct 2007

bighit FSR II or ironhorse 7 point

Considering components and price which of this two should I get for first freeride/downhill bike. Which is easier to maneuver and easier to ride and in which do you think I will boost up my confidence better???. I'm 6'2 and 205 pounds! so maybe one benefits my type.

mtbr member
    7 point hands down

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    No competition...7Ponit without a doubt. Specialized sucks, and so do bighits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i have never riden a 7 point, but i have a bighit lll and it rides very smooth i think it is a great bang for your buck

EastBaySteez
    7point. I've riddin both. Big doesnt pedal for squat.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

StraightOuttaCompton
    which ever you can get cheaper
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    BigHit FSR I 1750$ / BigHit FSR II 2400$ / Ironhorse 7 point about 3000$ (all these are 2008 models) and what other good FR/DH (with stable handeling and maybe some error resistant geometry/suspension if thats possible LOL) bikes are available for about 2600$???

thats not to steep is it?
    IMO go for which ever you can get cheaper. but if it comes down to the bike, than probably the iron horse
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    7 point. As far as price goes, I picked up a 2006 7.3 at the beginning of the season for about $1200. It was technically last years model, but hell for the price who cares. I'd check out the '07 7 points next year. You will probably be able to get a really good deal when they try to make room for the '08's. Check out rscycle.com, they have really good prices on Ironhorse. I use my 7.3 fro DH/FR all summer at Keystone and Winter Park and have no complaints at all, except for the chain, definitely get a chainguide, but I think the new models all come with them.
    To Triumph without Risk is to Conquer without Glory.

'06 Ironhorse 7.3
    '96 Scott Tampico...Newspaper Delivery Machine

Turkey Vulture N Training
    look around ive seen 06 7 points for like 1100 bucks online... geo slightly changed i like the 06 look more... but eh if your gonna get a new bike get the 7 point anyway
    Rolling Down Trails.... Slowly
    06 Iron Horse Yakuza
    06 Kona Stuff
    www.pedalshop.com

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMauler
    look around ive seen 06 7 points for like 1100 bucks online... geo slightly changed i like the 06 look more... but eh if your gonna get a new bike get the 7 point anyway

ironhorse dropped 1 1/2 pounds off the 7point in 2007. all the 2006 7points are going to be heavy like a DH bike. the '07s are a lot lighter.
    randellscott cycles has an 07 7point3 for only $1900 complete. i'd get that over a bighit any day, without question.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMauler
    look around ive seen 06 7 points for like 1100 bucks online... geo slightly changed i like the 06 look more...
    btw, the 06 and 07 look exactly the same; the only difference is the type of aluminum used, tripple butting and the dropped weight. they didn't change the look till 08...

Turkey Vulture N Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    btw, the 06 and 07 look exactly the same; the only difference is the type of aluminum used, tripple butting and the dropped weight. they didn't change the look till 08...
    ya they straighted the top tube, ya you can find 06-07 pretty easy
    Rolling Down Trails.... Slowly
    06 Iron Horse Yakuza
    06 Kona Stuff
    www.pedalshop.com

i drink shower water
    The big hit is not a back bike. to me DW Link cant hold a candle to FSR linkage. However they are both nice bikes. Its really prefernce. Most people that hate on Specialized hate on them solely because they are a huge bike company. Its for this reason that people can lie through their teeth and say the demo 7 or 8' are garbage.

I would argue that with these 2 bikes ou are gonna get a good rig. Ive ridden both a big hit and 7.7. My big hit was not stock at all and i loved it, but i also liked the 7.7 a lot too.

bottom line, go with whatever bike is gonna get you the best build for the money,
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm gonna go with the ironhorse! looked into go-ride.com and they have the 07 models which is perfect and for great price. here's the thing though: they have the 7.3 in 2200$ and the 7.5 in 2600$ which do you think is better taking that I'm a beginner. I like the color on the 7.3! I'm willing to upgrade later and I can sell the stock components quite easy so what do you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go with the 7.3. If you are a beginner, then you probably won't really notice the difference between the components. Once you get a feel for the bike and the type of riding you do, then you can upgrade to the appropriate components. Plus you can get the same components on the 7.5 a year from now for lower prices, or there might be brand new stuff out that better suits your type of riding. Get a Chain Guide early though, it will make a world of difference. Not to mention the black frame is pretty sick looking.

'06 Ironhorse 7.3

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    RSCYCLE.com has the 07 7.3 for $1900.

'06 Ironhorse 7.3

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for the info. really appreciate it. I couldnīt find rs cycle because I was writing it with an S at the end but now I got it wright. Great price!! I'm gonna go with the 7.3 and later down the road I'll put some nicer components. I really like those hayes stroker trails they look nice (waiting for the review). thanks for everything and if someone has any further recommendations please let me know! THANKS really!!