mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Best wheel for 250 lbs rider and..........

Heavy DH bike 50 lbs ?
    ie ) Mavic 823, sun ringle mtx, atomlab,etc
    I think Hadley Hub with DT swiss Alpine lll spoke .
    thank,s

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    im 260 and the rim setups i have, 24" pimp with ns roller ss hub for park riding, 26" ns fundamental with ns rotary for downhill, 24" echo tr double wall on echo tr hub for trials.

as long as you have a good build double wall rim thats 3cross lace and you are a smooth rider, theyll last. dual sealed front hub and 4 bearing rear hubs will be better. when i was just hucking and just goin for air, i flat spotted a double wide on the front. yet only have small flat spots on my trials rim even from 5 foot to flat landings from just becoming a smoother rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm about that and got Canfield brothers DH Tough wheelset and they are solid. I beat the hell out of them and they took it. Didn't care to have $1200 wheels on my bike and not concerned with weight. They just had a sale on their wheels for $300 a set and they come with a spare rim.

Slap happy crappiness
    The advice you got on ridemonkey was spot on, MAVIC EX823. Also, I don't think you NEED Alpine III spokes, you should be fine on regular Champions or even Competitions. Just get a good wheel builder, check tension before you ride, and you'll be good.
    Hadleys/Champs/EX823/30psi and be done with it.
    Like I said, I've been racing and riding resorts as a 240lbs guy in cat1/expert, 4 seasons on that set up.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    The advice you got on ridemonkey was spot on, MAVIC EX823. Also, I don't think you NEED Alpine III spokes, you should be fine on regular Champions or even Competitions. Just get a good wheel builder, check tension before you ride, and you'll be good.
    Like I said, I've been racing and riding resorts as a 240lbs guy in cat1/expert, 4 seasons on that set up.
    Yeah that one...best in the sport. I have a set on my shocker and one on my gspot. both 3+ years old. rarely true them...rarely flat spot...seats tubelss awesome! Solid wheel for solid riders...or should I say husky. my mom called me husky all the time...thanks for not calling me fat mom!

Glad to Be Alive
    Just make sure you have a great wheel builder and check tension of spokes every now and again
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Just make sure you have a great wheel builder and check tension of spokes every now and again
    Didn't I JUST say that?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Glad to Be Alive
    Didn't I JUST say that?
    Didn't I JUST say that?
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days