mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Best way to mount up DH tires without pinching the tube ??

Hey guys. What is the best way to mount up downhill tires (with steel wire reinforcement) without pinching the tube when you're at the end of mounting the tire ? I use metal tires levers, but I had 2 pinches so far. The plastic tire levers just snap when im at the end; hoping not to pinch the tube. Is there a better tire lever that will avoid this ??? Thanks in advance.
    ~ Coming to your neighborhood for a session near you !! ~

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What tire/rim combination?

Capricious youth...
    As much as I'm not inclined to recommend Performance Bike anything... their orange steel core tire levers are some of the best. They go on sale for $6.00 for a set at times (3 in a package) and they're awesome.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1035402_-1___
    Meh.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I had the same problem mounting a DH nevegal to a Azonic outlaw. I usually am pretty good with metal moto levers, but that damn tire was stubborn. Two kenda dh tubes later and only one left before a big ride day, I started up the truck and held the tire in front of the exhaust for about 10 minutes. This softened the rubber up enough to put the tire on with a plastic lever. Some people recommend a hair dryer or letting the tire sit in the sun for a bit. I also hear there is this crazy new technique called tubeless that is all the rage with the kiddies. I might have to give that a try

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If I understand correctly you pinch the tubes so they get a leak while munting the tire? Do you inflate the tube before munting the tire? I always inflate it a bit so that it keeps the shape before inserting it in the tire and mounting the last bead.

N* Bomber Crew
    Brute strength...you should be able to roll the bead on with a nice grip on the tire.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Use regular tubes instead of the DH ones, if your not going tubeless.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Brute strength...you should be able to roll the bead on with a nice grip on the tire.

Soap and water works wonders as well.

oh Lucky me
    chuck norris
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    PRACTICE, i have been using my motorcycle tire irons for over a year now and I have only pinched the tube once. Try to get as little of the end of the iron under the bead as possible, also powder and inflate the tube a little bit if you havent already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Use your hands and forearms, not tire levers. It takes time and practice, but it's worth it in the long run.

First get one bead in (one side of the tire). Now start the second bead, rolling the tire on from one point out in either direction. This is important - occasionally stop and go back to make sure both beads are in the middle of the rim (lowest part of the rim) to take out any slack. Keep working your way around. The very end may take a bit of time, just be patient and keep at it. Also - end at the valve, that way the bead has as much slack as possible up to that point.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp
    Use your hands and forearms, not tire levers. It takes time and practice, but it's worth it in the long run.

First get one bead in (one side of the tire). Now start the second bead, rolling the tire on from one point out in either direction. This is important - occasionally stop and go back to make sure both beads are in the middle of the rim (lowest part of the rim) to take out any slack. Keep working your way around. The very end may take a bit of time, just be patient and keep at it. Also - end at the valve, that way the bead has as much slack as possible up to that point.
    Right idea. Tire levers for putting tires on is sketchy, especially huge metal ones that may bend your rim or scratch them up. Scratched up rims on the INSIDE can occasionally leave sharp metal edges leading to...well...more flats.

It takes a lot of finesse and you have to be patient with yourself to get it on, but my experience is that most tires under normal conditions can be rolled on with just your arms and a good grip. Soap and water help too.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys. The soap and water did the trick when I rolled the second bead into place on the rim. It took awaile but I managed to roll the tire on without using any tire levers. Again, thanks.
    ~ Coming to your neighborhood for a session near you !! ~