mtbr member

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler

Going to Whistler for my 1st time in a few days and am getting pumped!

I have ridden many bike parks and many super-techy DH trails, but always on my AM bikes. I always have a blast and am a good AM rider, but have decided to rent a DH bike for the 1st time.

My question:

Should I ease my way into it this type of riding by getting more of a 7" FR bike like a Status II since it will be slightly closer to what I'm used to or should I just go full-on DH and get an 8" Demo 8 / Session / Flatline / Glory. If you have any thoughts on which of these bikes might be the easiest transition for me, or if it really will make much of a difference, I would appreciate it!

BTW: My current AM rigs are RM Altitude & Mojo HD

Moose Member
    when i went to whistler i rented at a shop that had multiple bikes and allowed you to com back and swap throughout the day. I rented a 7" kona entourage the first day and a half and rode all the smooth jump/flow trails, then the next day and a half bounced around DH bikes until I found one i loved, and rode that thing all day my last day on the super tech trails.

If you can only ride 1 bike, i say go full blown DH, coming off an AM rig you'll love it for the riding at whistler, but if you can it wouldn't hurt to find a place that has different bikes and lets you swap out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    when i went to whistler i rented at a shop that had multiple bikes and allowed you to com back and swap throughout the day. I rented a 7" kona entourage the first day and a half and rode all the smooth jump/flow trails, then the next day and a half bounced around DH bikes until I found one i loved, and rode that thing all day my last day on the super tech trails.

If you can only ride 1 bike, i say go full blown DH, coming off an AM rig you'll love it for the riding at whistler, but if you can it wouldn't hurt to find a place that has different bikes and lets you swap out.
    Great advice - do you happen to recall the name of the shop you rented from? I like that policy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    He probably rented from Garbo Bike & Bean. They have a high performance/demo fleet. SC V10s, Wilsons, Gamblers etc...

Fanatyk Co has Demo 8s and Aurrums
    Evolution has V10s and GTs
    Summit has Flatlines and Sessions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    He probably rented from Garbo Bike & Bean. They have a high performance/demo fleet. SC V10s, Wilsons, Gamblers etc...

Fanatyk Co has Demo 8s and Aurrums
    Evolution has V10s and GTs
    Summit has Flatlines and Sessions
    Thanks - any thoughts on which bike I should lean toward? or just pick a bike / all about the same

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^Most loaded question asked, ever

You likely will want to get your bike situation sorted before you arrive with it being busy season.

Ed.
    I rode a Demo 8, couldn't seem to get it balanced in the air.
    Rode a V10, liked it
    Rode a Wilson SP years ago when they first came out. Tried to get on one last season and couldn't ever get onto one again to compare to a V10. Had options to try a Comi or Scott, which I wasn't into buying (lack of support in this area)

Bought a V10 (good as I originally almost bought a Demo 8 without ever riding one)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We rented from the place below the GLC in June. I ended up just riding the basic Glory's which were great (still early season and not beaten to sh!t yet) It was my first time on a true DH bike and it served the purpose of getting me hooked. Biggest reason we didnt get the upgrade or the demo fleet was cost really. 3 days with the basic Glory was $279 CA including the damage waiver and all pads / full face helmet if you needed. The upgrades jumped to $310 + $70 per day damage waiver, the actual demo fleet bikes were closer to $335 + $70 per day damage waiver. It can get expensive quick - nearly $550 for three days on a V10. The flip side is that place will beat the living sh!t out of bikes,it was really nice to just walk in and trade out the bike if something wasn't right. We found the prices pretty competitive for rentals, more about which bike you want to ride. I cant wait to go back

Brackish

Re: Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler

Whistler is the home of DH, go full bore.

mtbr member
    Yeah - ended up renting a Demo 8 for 3 days - did 2 days at the park and 1 day shuttling at Squamish - definitely glad I went all-in w/ a DH bike - the transition to DH on the Demo 8 was way easier than I thought and airing it out was not an issue at all - it was by far the best riding I've ever experienced and I can't imagine finding riding even close to the level anywhere else - I will be back!

Ibis Addict
    I will travel to Seattle, Vancouver and Whistler from Spain. Do you recommend me to rent though Internet or it is no problem with the availability of rentals?
    Ahh is it possible to rent a bike with clip pedals or all the bikes has flat pedals?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmojo View Post
    I will travel to Seattle, Vancouver and Whistler from Spain. Do you recommend me to rent though Internet or it is no problem with the availability of rentals?
    Ahh is it possible to rent a bike with clip pedals or all the bikes has flat pedals?
    Bring your own shoes / pedals otherwise all flats on the rentals. I brought my my Mavic /Time pedals and used them on a rental Glory. I wouldn't worry about rental availability -several places to rent and a bunch of different bikes to choose from. Only real advantage to online reserve may be a slight price break.

Ibis Addict

Re: Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler

Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Bring your own shoes / pedals otherwise all flats on the rentals. I brought my my Mavic /Time pedals and used them on a rental Glory. I wouldn't worry about rental availability -several places to rent and a bunch of different bikes to choose from. Only real advantage to online reserve may be a slight price break.
    Ok thanks!

I will send you some pics of this experience!

mtbr member

Get ready for the best riding you will ever do!

Here are some pics from my recent Whistler trip to get you stoked!
    Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-ape.jpg

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-0724crankitup_jam063.jpg
    Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-bear.jpg

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-bail2.jpg

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-bluevelvet.jpg

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-gnar1.jpg

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-gnar2.jpg

Best DH/ FR Rental Bike for an AM rider at Whistler-stoked.jpg

Ibis Addict
    Nice pics, mate!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Recently got back, the place is getting pretty rutted out with the summer heat and traffic associated with crankworx, I would rent a V10.

I rented a V10 from Evolution in July for five days, they were the coolest people and kept the bike in great shape for me. Highly recommended.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    Recently got back, the place is getting pretty rutted out with the summer heat and traffic associated with crankworx, I would rent a V10.

I rented a V10 from Evolution in July for five days, they were the coolest people and kept the bike in great shape for me. Highly recommended.

Have fun!
    That's too bad - a couple weeks before that they just got a big rain and even some snow at the top and it was so dialed! Amazing hero dirt and almost zero braking bumps - then again I'm used to Northstar so it may be all relative! Let's do a Canadian rain dance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmojo View Post
    depends what time of year you are going mate,,, if its august, then id suggest booking in advance as it gets very busy and you dont want to be dissapointed, also be ware that in september the shops start selling off their rental fleets as they prepare for the ski season, so again if your going in sept then you may wish to make an advance booking. to avoid dissapointment,
    like the other gyuy said take your own pedals and shoes, helmet gloved pads, that way youll be comfortable in your own equipment,

Ibis Addict
    Perfect! Thanks. Yes, I have a booking done! I will take my Mallet and here I go!!!