trail addict

Best Bike Park near Western Maryland?

I'll be on vacation near McHenry, MD this summer and looking at three resorts to ride. I might get 2 days of riding, but probably only one so I'm looking for advice.

Wisp will probably be about 10-15 minutes away.
    Seven Springs about an hour.
    Timberline about an hour the other way.

I went to Wisp 3 or 4 years ago for a day and had fun, but would have like a few more trail options. I liked the manmade features at the top of the hill and I think I ran most of the trails there except for double-blacks.

I am intermediate ability on an '08 SX Trail (not a full DH bike). I like medium tabletops and drops. I like both groomed and natural terrain, but not a big fan of super-chunky natural rock gardens or (too) steep fall-line trails. Tempest, Breakout, and Salvation are my favorite Mountain Creek trails. At Blue, I like Miles of Smiles, Ewok Village, and King Tut.

So how can I make the most of my day? If I can get two days, what should my second day be? I'd love to go back to Snowshoe (for the first time in like 8 years) but I'm limiting myself to about an hour drive.

Thanks!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Uphill? What's that
    Seven Springs sounds like what you are looking for. Its about the same size mountain as Wisp but has a bigger variety of trails. It has both groomed and natural terrain with some decent jumps. The chair lift is really fast too, only takes about 5 minutes to get to the top so you can get a lot of runs in.
    Timberline is all natural and some of the trails are pretty damn steep. The chairlift also takes about 20 minutes to get to the top...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 Seven Springs.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Seven Springs sounds like what you are looking for. Its about the same size mountain as Wisp but has a bigger variety of trails. It has both groomed and natural terrain with some decent jumps. The chair lift is really fast too, only takes about 5 minutes to get to the top so you can get a lot of runs in.
    Timberline is all natural and some of the trails are pretty damn steep. The chairlift also takes about 20 minutes to get to the top...
    Cool, have been wanting to go to 7springs for a couple of years now, but the 3-4 hour drive has kept me away. With it only being 50 min or so from the vaca house, it will finally be a reality! Thanks for the advice!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Cool, have been wanting to go to 7springs for a couple of years now, but the 3-4 hour drive has kept me away. With it only being 50 min or so from the vaca house, it will finally be a reality! Thanks for the advice!
    This might be the right year too. The trail builder is trying to get a new trail open on the north face which is the big side of the mountain for opening weekend.

trail addict
    Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on seven springs! Was there last Tues and had a blast.

Uphill? What's that
    Good to hear you had a good time..Its a small park but it can be a lot of fun.

Racer
    the lift at wisp is painfully slow. I think they slow it down in the summer because it doubles as their "scenic chair lift ride". I literally watched a guy from the lift hike straight up the mountain faster than the lift. It takes like 25 min!!!! for a short run

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB View Post
    the lift at wisp is painfully slow. I think they slow it down in the summer because it doubles as their "scenic chair lift ride". I literally watched a guy from the lift hike straight up the mountain faster than the lift. It takes like 25 min!!!! for a short run
    I done think it's quite that long..More like 15 minutes. But it is a long time considering a run will only take about 4 minutes.