mtbr member
    May 2006

Best AM/FR bike for $3000

Hello

I am looking for a light FR/AM bike. I ride mostly very technical XC, and will ride downhill maybe once a month and every summer I will ride downhill for a week. The bike I've been looking at is the inevitable SC Heckler with a 36 Talas up front and the R AM package from Speedgoat. The price will land at about $3000. I've heard nothing but good things about that bike, but before I buy it I just want to know if there is a deal out there that I've missed. Also give me opinions about what shock you would use, Float R, DHX Air or DHX coil.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you're going to get a Heckler, why not just get the X9 AM complete? Just sell off the fork and by a 36. It will come out to be the same price but you'll have X9 stuff instead of LX componentry. BTW, if you're going to ride DH you'll probably want something with a boost valve so you can write off the RP3. As for the choice between air or coil for the DHX, I'd go with air. The leverage ratio isn't too high and you only have 5.5" of travel so the air should do fine.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    preston fr from transition bikes
    [SIZE="5"]I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...[/SIZE]