Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Berrecloth on Discovery in 1 Hour(East coast anyway)

3K views 71 replies 49 participants last post by  freerider167 
#1 ·
whats it about

yes that means i dont know so dont bother with the "you dont know! haha" 's and just tell me

#52 ·
Dude none of us were knocking on DB. In fact we were all saying how awsome of a rider we all think he is. We were commenting that the level of hype that went with the run was too much. We were saying that for being on tv. we all thought the run would be a little more spectacular. We also comented on the fact that it was the layout of the show we didnt like, not the riding.

See telling people that they are talking out of their asses for honest comments doesnt make really affect them at all, it does however make you sound like an @sshole.

#53 ·
breaking that frame is all part of research and development. Every single company does the same thing because they need to see what their bikes can handle. I mean you wouldnt want to release a frame to the public market without stress testing it first because if it had a defect in it, it could be the end of your company.

#55 ·
MTBSully said:
"darren was able to keep the forces of gravity, air resistance and friction in equilibrium"
tried to make it wayyyy to sciency. But Darrens blue demo w/ white travis was so hawt.
I thought he was supposed to drop out of the specialized warehouse
no dude thats another video either coming out from specialized or on the web

#56 ·
SOILWORK said:
That was cool when they folded the downtube on the stress machine.I wasnt impressed with the riding footage..however, Big D was there and maybe he filmed footage for new world disorder 7. That was a sick line.
I want to know why they expressed the destructive force in Gs rather than PSI. Gs is a measure of acceleration/decceleration.

#57 ·
well i really ****ed up this time, i thought it was sapost to air on the 4th so i waited to set the DVR to record it, and then went to a gay ass College Basket Ball game, and missed it. i am so ****ing pissed. but i did check the Discovery Channel web site and it will air again on Feb. 28 and March 1.

#58 ·
Wow, the bald guy was really really difficult to stomach, especially with his childlike maniacal laugh.
I saw a show spotlighting him. He's a BASE jumper doing crazy/difficult jumps and shooting through bridges, etc.

Considering how lame television is, I was pretty surprised at how good the segment was.

Of course, it wasn't like a good mtb video, but for tv, it was decent.

I'm also surprised at how good of an attitude Berrecloth had.

#61 ·
Gman said:
breaking that frame is all part of research and development. Every single company does the same thing because they need to see what their bikes can handle. I mean you wouldnt want to release a frame to the public market without stress testing it first because if it had a defect in it, it could be the end of your company.
I agree...I think they did that on tv as a way of marketing thier frame and how strong it is.
I bet they will sell a sh#t load of frames just from showing that on tv.

#64 ·
i taped it and didn't watch it until today. my opinions were that it was awesome to get our sport noticed and im sure it will spark some interest but the hole style of the show was lame. the hole making riders sound like daredevils instead of athletes i didn't like. i thought the host was ok cause he was a base jumper so it could'v been worse. he did give darren props which was cool and he did get on a bike. i think the hole ultimate line thing was very played out though. i think it would of been better to show a line from BC or somewhere else with more northshore style instead of a crazy rampage line, so that people could see the flowing technique instead of just balls out hucking. i think that bearclaw was an excellent rider to pick for the show though, and hes one of my favorites for sure. he even seemed to sort of at the end get a little tired of the hype about it. IMO its just about having fun riding and progressing, not about trying to go bigger and better like a stunt man. overall awesome that it got on TV, will help the sport out for sure. the specialized tour was awesome though

#65 ·
basically through the whole show when they were talking about science and math shizt, im just like "sure y not", when they crushed the down tube on the demo i didnt get why they had the frame upside down and pushing in on the head tube, i would think that they would put it atleast pushing the way a fork would push on the head tube. Yeah that show was pretty gehy, and that guys laugh made me want to shoot myself in the foot.

#66 ·
shiggy said:
I want to know why they expressed the destructive force in Gs rather than PSI. Gs is a measure of acceleration/decceleration.
Is it wrong? from what I understood, 11 G's during a drop would break the frame.

I didnt agree that You can do 100,000 20' drops on a demo 9 frame before it would crack, break, w/e. LOL. too many variables to calculate how much abuse a frame can take before it breaks.
rider weight,
riding style - smooth? abusive?
type of terrain - soft dirt? concrete?
temperature
type of shock installed
geometry
differant forks
ect...

#67 ·
Master_Jako said:
Is it wrong? from what I understood, 11 G's during a drop would break the frame.

I didnt agree that You can do 100,000 20' drops on a demo 9 frame before it would crack, break, w/e. LOL. too many variables to calculate how much abuse a frame can take before it breaks.
rider weight,
riding style - smooth? abusive?
type of terrain - soft dirt? concrete?
temperature
type of shock installed
geometry
differant forks
ect...
It is very wrong. The testing machine does not subject the frame to high (if any) G-loads. It does apply a high load force. It is the same as the difference between running a car into a solid wall at speed and crushing a car in a compactor.

#68 ·
share the wealth!!

ebfreerider510 said:
i taped it and didn't watch it until today. my opinions were that it was awesome to get our sport noticed and im sure it will spark some interest but the hole style of the show was lame. the hole making riders sound like daredevils instead of athletes i didn't like. i thought the host was ok cause he was a base jumper so it could'v been worse. he did give darren props which was cool and he did get on a bike. i think the hole ultimate line thing was very played out though. i think it would of been better to show a line from BC or somewhere else with more northshore style instead of a crazy rampage line, so that people could see the flowing technique instead of just balls out hucking. i think that bearclaw was an excellent rider to pick for the show though, and hes one of my favorites for sure. he even seemed to sort of at the end get a little tired of the hype about it. IMO its just about having fun riding and progressing, not about trying to go bigger and better like a stunt man. overall awesome that it got on TV, will help the sport out for sure. the specialized tour was awesome though
can you send me a copy.? plz.. :D

#69 ·
I enjoyed it, but they way overhyped it. Was Bearclaw the first to do a 360 on a drop? It made it seem like he is the only person who is able to ride big drops and do tricks. I think he is an incredibly talented rider, but he was not the first freerider. Also a 1500' descent is the longest ever? Most ski resorts have runs that long or longer... too much hype and BS spewed by the host. Much respect for DB for attempting that line.

#71 ·
Some things that got to me:

Rim brakes on his 3D bike.
Shoddy photography trying to make it look extreme. The left hand side wasn't a 1,000foot cliff like they made it out to be

Demo frame being bent in wrong direction. A frame doing drops does not cause the front wheel to pull in towards your feet. Their device was simulating running into a wall straight on. Specialized guy made a total clown out of himself by saying they were testing for drop strength.

Ohhhh, and best of all, the 3D explanation of how a fork works had the damper and spring on the wrong sides. TV show idiots must think left hand side of your fork is when your looking at the front of the bike, not when you're on the bike.

Bald guy belongs at a supergo shop.

Who were all the chodes on the show talking about his line, who don't even ride?

On top of that, I don't think Barecloth made it down in one try. Their shoddy camera editing makes me think he skipped a little or fell on one of his attempts before they could get more footage.

Show me an unedited clip of him going all the way down it, then I will believe their hype. I don't doubt his superior riding skills, but they should have come out of there with more footage. Makes sense why they filled the rest of the 30 minutes with BS.

Other than that I'll take Freeriding on TV no matter how chodetastic the host is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.