mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bell Exodus Helmet?

My son needs a full face helmet for downhill riding, so he asked his grandfather for one for his birthday. My dad, instead of heading to a bike shop, went to Walmart and picked up a Bell Exodus helmet. I know there was a big recall of Exodus helmets, but I checked the serial number and this one is fine. I called Bell and found out it is CPSC and ASTM 1952 certified. The helmet is adjustable, and seems to fit my son on the largest setting (he has a big head). But I am still hesitant to let him use it. I would really appreciate any feedback on this helmet, or on buying helmets at discount stores rather than bike shops in general. Is there any reason to be concerned about letting my son ride in this helmet rather than one from a bike shop that would probably be at least twice as expensive?

mtbr member
    I've seen that helmet, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. In fact, it looks eerily similar to my Azonic Fury helmet (vents, pads, visors, everything) and I crashed head first more times than I'd like.

I will tell you that it's probably not the best helmet ventilation-wise, because the vents are covered by a fabric mesh. I actually had to rip mine out and alter my liner to get more comfortable (I wouldn't recommend this btw). It will do the primary job of protecting your son, however.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks! I feel much better now. I'm more worried about keeping my son's head in one piece than a little sweat