Moose Member

Banshee Wildcard vs Rocky Mountain Slayer SS

Hey ya'll, been riding my 2008 Slayer SS for a couple months now. I love it. Only one complaint. It's heavy. No big deal though, it's a freeride bike. I can live with it. but it does kinda get to me sometimes. Feels hard to whip and toss around in the air, even though it's very nimble on the trails. (Does that make any sense?)

Someone just offered to trade me a 2009 or 2010 Banshee wildcard for my Slayer. They say they just like trying tons of different bikes, and have been on the Wildcard a season and want a change up... Is this a good deal for me?

I like jumping. That's it. I like being (attempting to be) smooth, and flowing. I do ride rocks a lot, but I'm not concerned with being the fastest man alive. I'll sacrifice some rock shredding ability to have a better jumping freeride bike. But i do take rock-handling into account a little bit.

I need the opinion of people who have ridden the wildcard. How light is it? I know it's not light, but I think it's lighter than my slayer ss. Also, how does it handle big drops, and rocks? To me it seems as though the slayer is a short travel DH bike, and the wildcard is a long travel jump bike. If so sounds like a good trade to me.

Opinions on a Slayer SS for wildcard trade?

I'm really tired, so sorry this isn't well worded. I'll make it better tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I used to have a Wildcard... it was my first real full suspension bike (forget about my old Haro MX3 and Giant Warp)... the bike was first built with a Roco Air shock and MZ All Mountain SL1 ATA fork... 160mm of travel...
    COming from a 120mm of travel hardtail, the bike was allowing me to fly higner and faster... than I replaced the fork for a RS Lyrik Solo Air and discovered what a real suspension was... and than I realized the rear end was very very rambunctious (does this word exist? haha)... you can control it, but itīs not made for trail riding.
    I loved the bike... really, but itīs good for flowy trails and jumps... not rocks and roots...
    I replaced that frame for an old Specialized Enduro Elite... and to be honnest it was a lot more confortable than the newer Wildcard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mushroom Drop Banshee Wildcard Video - Pinkbike
    They can take drops

I love my wildcard. I think its a great bike to put into the air (it's very easy to jump) when compared to more DH oriented, plusher bikes. You can DH with them, but it can get a little rowdy in chunky areas at high speeds. Switching the rear to 6.7" will help, but you also raise the BB. That being said, I come from a HT background and ride my hardtail regularly on similar trails, so I'm used to dancing with my bike.

As far as weight, its all how you build it, you can easily get a 35lbs ride with good respectable components. Mine probably weighs in the high 30's with DH tires, and older DH wheels.

You might want to post in the banshee forum, there's a good following of wildcard riders over there.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    i took that video! i haven't seen that in years!! I'd trade him if i were you. It's just more of a versatile frame, plus...it's worth more. It's a fun bike, more adjustable, and is a good looking bike. people would be much more willing to buy the bike than your slayer when you leave on your mission

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've been riding my Wildcard for about 4 months and it feels more nimble than my first generation Bottlerocket. I replaced the Lyrik I had on the BR with a Totem and swapped all of the old components to the new frame. Basically I'm saying the new, lighter frame made a difference for me.

I've ridden it on some pretty steep and rocky trails. It's capable, but it's a pretty harsh ride. I've also had it on some long trail rides. Again, it's capable but tiring. Where it does excel, in my opinion, is smooth, flowy jump trails, and slow, tight technical trails. I think your assessment is correct. It's a long travel jump bike.

Moose Member
    Okay, I think I'm ganna trade him. I'll ride northstar occasionally, but I don't really hit the double blacks super hard. I hit them and they are fun, but I'm not the kind to just mash rock gardens, it's more about the jumps and the flow to me. Plus it's technically got more travel than my Slayer, and it's adjustable. I like that it's adjustable. The only issue, is I'll be trading a fox 36 talas for a Manitou stance. I'll need to upgrade forks pretty quick.

I'll do some more work, but it sounds like it will be a good trade for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you do wanna smash the DH, put a 180mm in the front, and leave it in the short setting in the rear. It'll be more active, nimble, and decently slack.

brake later, pedal sooner
    wildcard is a badass bike... loved mine. i ran it 5" mode in the rear with a 180mm fork up front.

Karpiel - Fabio Falls Video - Pinkbike <--handles northstar gnar.

not the most comfy for mashing rough stuff, but it can do it.

Moose Member
    The only real issue is still the fox talas to Manitou stance part of the trade... I may just not trade forks (he's okay with it) and keep my talas, and buy a new headset. I would just need a 1.5 external reducer headset... and thoughts on semi-cheap ones?

I'm down for the trade, it's just a matter of whats going to get traded. He's got some heavy wheels, a double track and a mag 30, So i'm going to ask to keep my wheels (alexrim 32s) and my brakes (avid elixir CR over his Skeletal Clark brakes) and just trade frame, shock, seat, seatpost, cranks, BB, chainguide, stem, bars, shifter and derailleur (shifter and derailleur would be a step down from an X-9 to an x-7, but no big deal. I might singlespeed it anyway) and stuff like that.

Ustemuf, I was just waiting for you to get in on this. I remember seeing you on a wildcard, and that was the moment I first wanted one. Did you break yours or just upgrade for moar travels?

Moose Member
    this should do the trick right?
    Universal Cycles -- FSA Big Fat Pig Reducer Headset

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post

Ustemuf, I was just waiting for you to get in on this. I remember seeing you on a wildcard, and that was the moment I first wanted one. Did you break yours or just upgrade for moar travels?
    Don't think you could break that frame... it's super tough. Just upgraded for more travel.

Moose Member
    Starting to get second thoughts. Took my Slayer for a spin today, It's so plush. It feels like an 8" bike, but jumps like a 6" bike. For some reason I imagine the WC feeling a lot stiffer, a lot more slopestyle-like, even though it has more travels. Then again I'm really tired right now, and just procrastinating writing a paper... I did a written out comparison, heres what I get..

RM SLAYer -----------------------------BANSHEE WC
    13.9"------------------BB------------------13.9-14.1"
    571or22.5"-----------TT------------------23.1" (587mm)
    152mm-------------Travel----------------127-165mm
    1158mm(45.6")------WB----------------44.7 (1135mm)

WB stands for wheel base.

The wildcard's BB is 13.9 with 160mm up front and 127mm rear, and its 14.1 when it's 160mm front and rear.. Topper is it's like 13.5 when in 130mm front and 127mm rear...

Someone told me the WC will hold it's value longer, and it's better because It's more adjustable. Will I notice the 1 degree steeper head angle or .2" higher BB on the wildcard? does it feel like it's got 165mm rear travel, or does it feel like less?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ride almost exclusive 7" front 5" rear. With 5" in the back, it feels like it has more travel than that. With the 6.5 travel setting it feels pretty deep to me. I wouldn't say that its plush, but I run my rear end pretty stiff. The stiffer rear really gives the bike the playful feel that I like. I also think a stiff rear with that shorter wheelbase makes it easier to pop the bike.

If you do much pedaling the WC will beat out the SS almost any day of the week.

As for the angles, I'm not sure. I feel pretty comfortable when I get to 68* and with a 7" front I'm probably closer to 66* most of the time. I climb up for my descents, so I may prefer a steeper angle than others