Thread: Balfa BB7

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Balfa BB7

Have a chance to get a 2003 Balfa bb7 with 03 shivers for a good price. How many have riden this bike can give good info? They seem like nice bikes from what i have seen but how do they last and things like that? Thanks for all the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

conjoinicorned
    i own 2 balfas (not a bb7, sorry)

i have only had great experiences with them, they are solid well built bikes. and they are not technically out of business; www.balfa.co.uk bought all the overstock when balfa packed her in and they have most parts for all the models of bikes! (rearends, pulleys etc.)

i have never heard a bad thing about the bb7, i have ridden a few around and they are solid at the very least....they are also very popular DH bikes around these parts...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    haha please no nude women in this thread!

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemansam
    Have a chance to get a 2003 Balfa bb7 with 03 shivers for a good price. How many have riden this bike can give good info? They seem like nice bikes from what i have seen but how do they last and things like that? Thanks for all the help
    Yeah I had the exact same setup, team white even.

Good bike, solid and fast. The Shiver fork was smooth, and worked well with the bike, it kept the front from being too tall. The frame held up for 2 years of use with no problems.

Oh, and the floating brake will always rub a bit, live with it.

I sold it and bought a Demo 8 when Balfa left Canada. With Specialized there's way more local support.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    ive ridden one a few times. same year, differennt set up. felt like a great DH bike, sorta hard to peal around though. great overall ride
    SELLING-

Manitou Stance Statioc

Huricane FORK UP

Tioga XC Rims Still in wrap

truth seeker
    The bb7 is a great ride - as long as you're heading down...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    OOOO Balfa BB7 with a dorado, so classic
    The 3rd Planet is sure that they're being watched by an
    eye in the sky that can't be stopped

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    What year is that? 03? Looks like a darker grey than my 04. I like it!
    <><

mtbr member
    Cool shot Reptile, where is that taken? Also, is that a Regular BB7? How tall are you?
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

T.Dot Represent
    its a great race/dh/shuttle bike

the cromoly rear ends are super stiff i was actually looking to buy one but couldnt find one in my price range in my area. the key for balfas is setting up the chain guide well, once you do that you'll have no problems
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

truth seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost
    Cool shot Reptile, where is that taken? Also, is that a Regular BB7? How tall are you?

The frame is a gray "03 long. I am 6 ft tall. The photo is of a small drop on Andy's Trail in Grand Junction, CO.

I'm not that interested in selling it, but would for the right price. PM me if seriously interested.

East Coast Style
    ive heard great things about em. theres a guy who rides one up at diablo who never stopped talking about it. he ran it with a dorado I believe. If its priced well id do it
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ok so i would be using this bike for sort of an all around bike. Im planning on doing a bunch of dh races next summer but as you all know its not always dh. Would this bike still be able to do some light climbing in between the hardcore dh. I guess the main thing is would it work not just for dh but some freeride and trail ridign thrown in?

truth seeker
    Ok so i would be using this bike for sort of an all around bike. Would this bike still be able to do some light climbing in between the hardcore dh. I guess the main thing is would it work not just for dh but some freeride and trail ridign thrown in?
    No. You will not be pedalling this rig uphill - at least not with a smile on your face.

The bb7 is great for downhill or downhill/freeride. As a heavy duty cross country bike or all purpose freeride bike, it would suck.

mtbr member
    I rode the same bike for a season, strickly doing DH. it rails corners and floats over just about everything. it sits nice and low. I ran a boxxer up front. the only reason I sold it was that I got sponsored; otherwise I would have kept it. too bad they are not making them anymore. anyway, as for the pedaling, I wouldn't recommend it for too long of a time, especially up hill. as for everything else, it rocks. if the price is good get it. btw, is a guy from CA selling it? good luck

Team
    They are very nice bikes. Congrats on getting one and for future note- you got a Shiver, not Shivers.

Glad to Be Alive

sheesh...you get Shivers instead of one SHIVER....wow how many Shivers come with the bike...this deal is getting interesting...oh do me a favor a capitalize the word Shivers in your post...you are hurting my feelings
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sheesh...you get Shivers instead of one SHIVER....wow how many Shivers come with the bike...this deal is getting interesting...oh do me a favor a capitalize the word Shivers in your post...you are hurting my feelings
    dont you get it, the bike takes a fork in the front and the back, turns with both wheels...

where have you been
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Powder King lift jockey.
    I dont know wtf you pussies are talking about , BB7's pedal very nicely for a DH rig. I've ran them on NS with a considerable ammount of pedaling involed, sure its no FSR Enduro or anything but I've found they pedal nicer than a most DH bikes, Stab, Demo 8, Wilson ect. The setup was an '03 BB7 w/ an '03 Slider up front up till this year when it was swapped out for a new Monster T and it still pedals quite good, especially for the weight. As you can imagine a BB7 with a Monster aint gonna be the lightest bike around by a long shot, it weighs in at about 55lbs.
    My advice to you, buy it. With that Shiver up front you should be able to run over a group of people or possibly a small import car and not even notice it .
    J-bro

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by leddder
    OOOO Balfa BB7 with a dorado, so classic

oh so true, so very true
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    there's a guy who posts in the socal forum on ridemonkey who has the same setup. goes by lovebunny. drop him a line perhaps.

mtbr member
    well i was mentioned i guess i should post. ok the bb7 shiver combo is awesome. it gives it a nice rake and a decent wheelbase. it handles great at high speeds. ive used this combo for about at year now and think that its great. ive found that with wider bars it will handle better because this bike is very stable so wide bars make it so you dont have to work as much. i run a romic on mine and i find that that works alot better for me than a 5th element. i also run almost 40% sag on it so its great in rock sections. heres some pics of the bike and of me riding it.

Members who have read this thread: 0