bg.
    mtbr member

Balfa and Appalache

I've been admiring the Appalache bike and remembering of my old BB7.

My question is, aside from a drastic reduction of weight, Isn't this functionally the same bike? I'm not complaining, I just thought that design was bought by someone in the UK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bg.
    I've been admiring the Appalache bike and remembering of my old BB7.

My question is, aside from a drastic reduction of weight, Isn't this functionally the same bike? I'm not complaining, I just thought that design was bought by someone in the UK.
    Yes and no.

It's still a high single pivot bike with a pulley. The pulley system on the Appalache is much more clever IMO, the pivot is lower (closer to the BB by ~1.5"), the geometry is different from the BB7.

So...same basic design, but the geometry is quite different so it'll probably feel a little different than a BB7. I have no idea whether the differences in feeling will be important or not. We'll see...

Powder King lift jockey.
    The Appalache Real is a refined version of the BB7, lighter, more nimble, and stronger. Just imagine a 'perfect' BB7. The Real is made by the same man who made the BB7 and is now manufactured in the UK and distributed by Yodo Bike in Canada.
    J-bro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MknzBikR
    The Appalache Real is a refined version of the BB7, lighter, more nimble, and stronger. Just imagine a 'perfect' BB7. The Real is made by the same man who made the BB7 and is now manufactured in the UK and distributed by Yodo Bike in Canada.
    No, the Appalaches are still made in Montréal.
    I believe they're only distributed by Balfa.co.uk in Europe and by Yodo in North America.

Powder King lift jockey.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.
    No, the Appalaches are still made in Montréal.
    I believe they're only distributed by Balfa.co.uk in Europe and by Yodo in North America.
    Ahh, so the patent is just owned by a UK company then? I was talking to Wayne Parsons a while back, must have missed that part, I'me sure it was mentioned.
    J-bro

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Made in Montreal by Jerome Choquette. They are a much more refined and lighter Balfa BB7. With a DHX Air it will be 9.5 lbs with 9.1" of travel.

Procycle owns the Balfa name.

I'm getting mine any day now. Stoked!
    Yodo Distribution Inc, Canadian distributor for:

Appalache Cycles, Atomlab, Azonic, Blur Optics, Brembo, E13, Gatorbrake, GRC, Oury Grip, Redraven, SIC, Stone Edge, Unex, O'Neal Motocross.
    Full color cataloge ready for downloading!
    WWW.YODOBIKE.COM phone: 1 800 745-2415 wayne@yodobike.com

www.knollybikes.com > wayne@knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jérôme Roy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.
    Jérôme Roy
    Ha! I knew that sounded wrong. Get your own e-mail address Jerome!
    Yodo Distribution Inc, Canadian distributor for:

Appalache Cycles, Atomlab, Azonic, Blur Optics, Brembo, E13, Gatorbrake, GRC, Oury Grip, Redraven, SIC, Stone Edge, Unex, O'Neal Motocross.
    Full color cataloge ready for downloading!
    WWW.YODOBIKE.COM phone: 1 800 745-2415 wayne@yodobike.com

www.knollybikes.com > wayne@knollybikes.com