mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bad shoulder- is a brace the answer? (Xpost general discussion)

I injured my shoulder earlier this year (retore my labrum) and I am supposed to have surgery, but am putting that on hold for now. Usually when I bike I have no problems with my shoulder, but today while going down a particularly bumpy, steep section my shoulder came out of its socket a bit. It hurt, but luckily the pain wasn't too bad and I was able to finish the ride and have a good time. Usually this doesn't happen to me while biking. Also though, I recently put on wide 30 inch bars which make my arms much farther apart. I'm sure this has something to do with it, but I've been riding these bars for a few rides now and I love them. Anyone have similar problems and use a brace or something?

Professional Troll
    As someone who has dislocated their shoulders several times when riding and is coming over some shoulder surgery a few months ago, you should REALLY not ride if it's popping out from just riding and not from crashing. That's gotta be one f-ed up shoulder if bumpy trails are popping it out just riding them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had shoulder surgery over two years ago, and this was the first time it happened biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I know a guy who regularly dislocates his shoulder when riding. Like 1 out of 4 rides. It's pretty messed up stuff. He some times uses a brace find's it helps a bit but is not super comfy to ride in if I recall correctly.

Why not give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherdude4eva
    I injured my shoulder earlier this year (retore my labrum) and I am supposed to have surgery, but am putting that on hold for now. Usually when I bike I have no problems with my shoulder, but today while going down a particularly bumpy, steep section my shoulder came out of its socket a bit. It hurt, but luckily the pain wasn't too bad and I was able to finish the ride and have a good time. Usually this doesn't happen to me while biking. Also though, I recently put on wide 30 inch bars which make my arms much farther apart. I'm sure this has something to do with it, but I've been riding these bars for a few rides now and I love them. Anyone have similar problems and use a brace or something?
    Small world.
    I also tore my labrum this spring while kayaking. I'm scheduled to go in for repair in November. Luckily, I can still ride without pain (as long as I don't fall on that shoulder).

My doc said, as long as I can do things without pain, then have at it. But, If I have pain,to consider coming in sooner or hold off on those activities.

I wonder if your shoulder was really dislocating or your tear has caused a flap of tissue that gets folded/unfolded in certain positions. My tear felt like a dislocation when it happened. I don't think a motion limiting brace (which it what I think your talking about) would be the wisest choice ripping along on a DH bike.

Either way, I'd say go see your ortho for a professional opinion.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Small world.
    I also tore my labrum this spring while kayaking. I'm scheduled to go in for repair in November. Luckily, I can still ride without pain (as long as I don't fall on that shoulder).

My doc said, as long as I can do things without pain, then have at it. But, If I have pain,to consider coming in sooner or hold off on those activities.

I wonder if your shoulder was really dislocating or your tear has caused a flap of tissue that gets folded/unfolded in certain positions. My tear felt like a dislocation when it happened. I don't think a motion limiting brace (which it what I think your talking about) would be the wisest choice ripping along on a DH bike.

Either way, I'd say go see your ortho for a professional opinion.

Best of luck.
    Thanks, The flap of tissue thing that you mentioned could very well be true because it just feels "locked out" for a second and then pretty much as soon as I realize it, I can just move my shoulder around and it feels normal again, except for the pain that comes along with it. I was thinking about a brace that would only limit my shoulder from the one motion that causes this to happen. It's the throwing a baseball motion when my arm is behind me. I guess though the combination of wide bars, my body positioning and some swoopy turning made it happen this time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I hear you.
    I made the mistake of throwing a rope bag (paddle gear) overhanded. It was the worst pain I had since the tear. Also, looping a belt through my pants (around my back) hurts.

I feel mine "catch" from time to time too. But no pain.

Did you have an MRI yet to confirm the total damage? I only ask since you have smaller window of opportunity if you also tore tendon(s) in your rotator cuff.