mtbr member

back injuries from dh and freeriding?

Old school freerider here that just had back surgery due to severe herniation of l5s1 disc.
    I thought back to the first time I visited a dr for back pain...and it was like 8 years ago after a hard crash while riding at a resort.

Prior to this I spent many years freeriding and taking natural drops to flat.

I'm wondering if my history of biking resulted in my destroyed disc.
    For you older riders out there...any long term back issues?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I have a herniated lumbar disc, and DH feels way better on my back than trail riding. Climbing just destroys it, or at least I use that as an excuse to mostly ride at the resorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same here, I have a slipped L4 and as long as I keep proper position while riding it doesn't hurt. If while riding I start to get lazy and sloppy, it starts hurting.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Took a spill a coupl'a wks ago at Snowshoe, (OTB), jacked my bk up and missed the last day of riding, still healing up chomping at th bit to get bk in th saddle. Anytime my bk is bothering me, usually lower bk issues, I can go for a long epic and it seems ease up somewhere along th ride. Lucky me, but I'm betting the pain from Snowshoe wont be as easy to clear up...not so lucky me.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Yeah I understand...
    all these years of riding actually felt fine whether uphill or down.

Do you think the biking caused your issues?

I'm pretty sure riding is at least a contributing factor for me...plus working in a cube for 20 years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a majorly herniated L4/5 that I think was either initially done or made much worse by hardtail urban drops to flat about 10 years ago. It finally gave out on me 2 years ago, but lots of core work keeps me going. DH is definitely easier on my back then climbing. I can't imagine what 100 miles on a road bike would do to me now.

Professional Troll
    Deadlift

pin it
    I have an old back injury. Crushed my L1 in an automobile accident. I have a plate and screws fusing 3 vertebrae.
    I've keep my back strong and flexible doing yoga
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I think my back is more screwed up from the gym and jumping out of planes than from riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Riding actually seems to help mine. I blew out the discs around my T7 - T9 from snowboarding. DH, Trailriding and other MTB seem to help keep my bike strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    Riding actually seems to help mine. I blew out the discs around my T7 - T9 from snowboarding. DH, Trailriding and other MTB seem to help keep my bike strong.
    Riding keeps my bike strong too AND my back as well jus kiddin I don't think "riding" has caused my back problems, but wrecking has played a role in it, I would hazard to guess.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Steve
    Jun 2013
    Glad I saw this, I'm a noob and I've hit the Clydesdale room already. I haven't asked this yet, but I've had 3 surgeries...2 on L4/L5 and 1 on L5/S1, no fusion, all microdiscectomies. Not always in pain, but not always pain free. Budget aside, would I be better off with a FS over a HT to start? Live on Long Island, NY.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've had surgery eight weeks ago. I take motril before the ride and try to take it easy. Kinda hard to do that being in Whistler right now. I think a proper fitting bike helps too.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

www.derbyrims.com
    Landing bad, harsh bottoming, for sure could displace vertebrae, even crack or crush them. But more commonly slouching in couches and chairs can displace low and mid back vertebrae alignment so that a bad jump landing could aggravate the displacement into the severity of bursting a disc, herniating a disc. For less fit people just getting out of bed can herniate a disc after the vertebrae were displaced long before.

Trail riding rigid bikes 30 years ago returned me to a healthy lifestyle after turning to drinking too much to reduce the pain. Riding loosened my back to be tolerable in tension pain and reduced sciatica pains and weakness in my legs and ankles, after a car wreck severely displaced my L5-S1 vertebrae and compressed the disc forward and chronic muscles spasm tensioned the disc so flat those vertebrate were touching in front.

I wanted surgery for years but the docs couldn't find a herniation to fix, and I was able to get around although in more or less constant pain unless lying on my side in a near fetal position.

Finally I discovered chiropractic, after PT prescriptions were totally useless, and acupuncture's pain relief only lasting a few days. The second chiropractor's long program I tried, of frequent visits for vertebrae alignment for months and less frequent for years, was able to straighten the alignment of those two and other less severely misaligned vertebrae to be a near "cure". Like any type of doctor, some are much better than most, I found one. My leg strength is noticeably reduced and sciatica returns when those two vertebrae migrate out of alignment from poor posture when slouching in chairs and couches, and the chiro can "fix" it.

The more I trail ride the less I suffer from of the residual and now rarely reoccurring problems from the permanently compressed disc.

Best luck for your back condition, exercise, bike riding in particular, is the best "medicine" for recovery. Even after surgery, a good chiropractor is the best preventative of back problems, unless you can practice yoga about 4 hours every day.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Yeah, I think my back is more screwed up from the gym
    You're doing it wrong then. Proper form is your friend, and something we all struggle with.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just being in the parachute harness with 45 plus lbs of gear for hours at at time, and duck waddling to the planes used kill me. The actual jumping out of the plane and opening shock was quit orgasmic!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus2112 View Post
    Glad I saw this, I'm a noob and I've hit the Clydesdale room already. I haven't asked this yet, but I've had 3 surgeries...2 on L4/L5 and 1 on L5/S1, no fusion, all microdiscectomies. Not always in pain, but not always pain free. Budget aside, would I be better off with a FS over a HT to start? Live on Long Island, NY.
    Get th fs. If you buy a ht and then decide to try a fs, you'll have a ht for sale or a bk up bike that you'll wish was a fs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Landing bad, harsh bottoming, for sure could displace vertebrae, even crack or crush them. But more commonly slouching in couches and chairs can displace low and mid back vertebrae alignment so that a bad jump landing could aggravate the displacement into the severity of bursting a disc, herniating a disc. For less fit people just getting out of bed can herniate a disc after the vertebrae were displaced long before.

Trail riding rigid bikes 30 years ago returned me to a healthy lifestyle after turning to drinking too much to reduce the pain. Riding loosened my back to be tolerable in tension pain and reduced sciatica pains and weakness in my legs and ankles, after a car wreck severely displaced my L5-S1 vertebrae and compressed the disc forward and chronic muscles spasm tensioned the disc so flat those vertebrate were touching in front.

I wanted surgery for years but the docs couldn't find a herniation to fix, and I was able to get around although in more or less constant pain unless lying on my side in a near fetal position.

Finally I discovered chiropractic, after PT prescriptions were totally useless, and acupuncture's pain relief only lasting a few days. The second chiropractor's long program I tried, of frequent visits for vertebrae alignment for months and less frequent for years, was able to straighten the alignment of those two and other less severely misaligned vertebrae to be a near "cure". Like any type of doctor, some are much better than most, I found one. My leg strength is noticeably reduced and sciatica returns when those two vertebrae migrate out of alignment from poor posture when slouching in chairs and couches, and the chiro can "fix" it.

The more I trail ride the less I suffer from of the residual and now rarely reoccurring problems from the permanently compressed disc.

Best luck for your back condition, exercise, bike riding in particular, is the best "medicine" for recovery. Even after surgery, a good chiropractor is the best preventative of back problems, unless you can practice yoga about 4 hours every day.
    thankfully i am very fit for my age (many years of pedaling and gym). So i'm hoping my recovery allows me to get back on the bike soon. I'm just really scared of F'ing something up.
    I def hear you about slouching! being a corporate drone for so long is the worst thing for me. sitting for hours at a computer in office furniture that is NEVER updated has to be a top factor in my back problems.

Never been to a chiro. I must admit that I am hearing more good things from friends than bad. I have spoken to a few that SWEAR by them.
    I'll have to keep this in mind.