the fat kid

Azonic Saber.. possible purchase, opinions?

I'm looking to possibly pick up this bike, but am not really familure with it. Id like to get into a freeride bike and this just happened to pop up. The guy is really knowledgable and let me take this for the weekend.

After riding it, im ok with it. It definitly pedaled good, little bob.. im up in the air about it. What do you guys think?

i'd probably pay 600 for it.

I ride faster than I should.

Glad to Be Alive
    600 for the whole thing sounds fair to good.......for me (205) I have a 700 lb spring and it is still too soft. I just jump 2 and 4 footers with the bike. I love the FSR suspension. I really just call it a good all-around all mountain bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Hard as nails
    Not a bad deal. I would be sure to check the frame really good for any stress fractures. The Saber is like SMT stated a good all-round bike - light FR bike. I almost bought a used Saber before I went with the transition dirtbag. Here is a link to a review form Dirtworld

http://www.dirtworld.com/productrevi...ory.asp?id=490
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

Glad to Be Alive
    also watch for ovalization to the lower shock mount....mine is slight right now
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    for 600 look pretty reasonable

the fat kid
    Thanks guys. I know the headseat is FSA and has play, so it'll have to be changed. The rear triangle and those shock mounts all seemed nice and tight.

It seems like the kinda bike I'd like in the long-run. As well as this, I've been looking at a Felt Redemption frame/shock which poses the same attributes as the azonic...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313
    Thanks guys. I know the headseat is FSA and has play, so it'll have to be changed. The rear triangle and those shock mounts all seemed nice and tight.

It seems like the kinda bike I'd like in the long-run. As well as this, I've been looking at a Felt Redemption frame/shock which poses the same attributes as the azonic...
    try the FSA Orbitz extreme pro....very smooth and extra deep cups

the fat kid
    Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    On the flip side I had a Saber and it only lasted a bit over a year. I had to replace the lower chainstay because of stress cracks. Then I crashed on it and at least the seatube was bent but, I couldn't say for sure if anything else was. Not exactly sure what happened to the bike in the crash but, I was pretty surpised because I was riding some agressive trails and not doing and drops or huge jumps.

Also, Azonic told me this is NOT a freeride bike but, rather a trail bike. Be careful!
    "Identify your real master."

the fat kid
    it looks like a FR bike, smells like a FR bike and tastes like a FR bike.... but isnt supposed to be one? hmm

Glad to Be Alive
    it looks like a FR bike, smells like a FR bike and tastes like a FR bike.... but isnt supposed to be one? hmm
    very lite FR bike

I have an extra chain stay (bran new still wrapped up)

the fat kid
    If I end up taking it, i'll keep that in mind. Another friend of mine is also contimplating it since I've been trying to start build up a long distance roadie

mtbr member
    Not a bad ride for that cost. Capable bike also. Might be helpful to know more about your riding style and preferred terrain.

troubled economist
    Great all-rounder. Going on two years of riding a used frame that I picked up from a buddy. More AM/lite FR than FR as stated, but classic Horst Link design that pedals great. Anything over 140/150mm in the front raises the BB pretty high, but I run it w/ a 160mm fork and love it.
    dig...

Build More = Ride More
    I'm looking to possibly pick up this bike, but am not really familure with it. Id like to get into a freeride bike and this just happened to pop up. The guy is really knowledgable and let me take this for the weekend.

After riding it, im ok with it. It definitly pedaled good, little bob.. im up in the air about it. What do you guys think?

i'd probably pay 600 for it.

Theres an issue with these bikes if you plan on running it in 6 inch mode. The rear rocker will hit the frame on bottom out.

I had an 04 Saber and it clunked all the time off drops.

In 5 inch mode (as shown in pic) the rocker does not move as far, thus no bottom out.

These bikes have also been notorious for blowing out the main rocker bolt, as it is aluminum, not steel.

The Romic shock might not be serviceable if it goes out or has already gone out. You can tell if it's blown by not having any effect when you adjust the rebound and it makes a lot of slurping noises. It's usually still ridable if blown and not leaking oil, although performance might not be great. I rode a blown romic on my Saber (came blown out of the box) for 2 years.

Considering what you might have to pay to replace or fix any broken parts, I would say $4-500 is more reasonable for a nearly 5 year old bike. That's also because the bike does not appear to have any upgraded parts from when it was built (likely in 03 or 04).

On a good note, that frame has the updated chainstay, which should hold up great! Older chain stays were known to break.

moaaar shimz
    Romic is still around and can service the shock for cheap.

the fat kid
    what determines if its in 5" or 6" 'mode'? I've looked at it, and it doesnt have any signs of bottoming out that I can see. I'm still fairly new to these setups. The rear shock seems like its been rebuilt before, b/c i know that he changed the spring out and had some kinda work done on it. It definitly feels good and not squishy at all.

Stray Bullet
    I've got a buddy selling a mint Saber frame with a DHX coil (way better than the Romic). Send a PM to tgreathead if you're interested.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...akk-stand.html

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    I.jpg[/IMG]
    taylor is selling his....whats he getting

Build More = Ride More
    what determines if its in 5" or 6" 'mode'? I've looked at it, and it doesnt have any signs of bottoming out that I can see. I'm still fairly new to these setups. The rear shock seems like its been rebuilt before, b/c i know that he changed the spring out and had some kinda work done on it. It definitly feels good and not squishy at all.
    Looky here. See how the shock can go into two sets of holes?
    The outter one is 5 inch mode, the inner one 6 inch.

If you plan on running 5 inches, then don't worry. 6 inches, you're guaranteed to hit bottom. Using a progressive shock like a DHX with full bottom out reduces the number of hits greatly.

All said, my 04 Saber had a DHX 5 on ther eventually and it rode really well!