Thread: Azonic B52

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Azonic B52

I am in the market for a new DH/FR frame. I have been thinking about the new Azonic B52. Last year I thought they had issues with the shock bottoming out or something, did they fix this? I used the search button and really cant find any good info about the frame. I the review forum this is only 3 review all are good but I was looking for some more info.

I am also looking into the Versus Weapon X and Morewood Izimu. Any info would be great on these frames. A little about myself I weight 220 and about 5'10-5'11.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    shock bottoming? adjustments should fix that

but its a tiawanese frame re branded(correct me if i am wrong)

but go with the morewood or versus
    also, what about an sx trail? dirtbag? blindside?

Chillin the Most
    The issue you speak of w/ the B52, tire rubbing the seat tube at full compression, has been addressed and corrected. You'll notice on the newer models the seat tube is now bent to move it away from the tire.

BTW, older 05-06 Morewoods had this same issue, not sure about the newer models.

If it were my money and these were my only choices - Morewood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    RED5 is correct on the seatpost bend for the 2008's. Just make sure you get an 08.

KHS uses this same frame for it's Lucky 7 (in case you don't want a white frame). I've heard glowing reviews and one bad review on this frame. One rider mentioned blowing through the travel easily. Could be a set up issue? The frames look lto offer a good bang for the buck.

I'd put the Versus Weapon X in another category than the B52. From what I've read it's strictly a DH beast and weighs 2 Oprahs.

Versus' Trigger would probably be a closer rival to the B52/Lucky 7. The needle bearings and grease ports on this frame are a great idea.

Best of luck.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I picked up a Weapon X once. Once. My back still hurts. Not a good choice for FR rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    2 Oprahs. .
    dude, that sh!t is funny. i am down with that. forever. like, i am hunched over to pick up a cooler full of beer and i'm all "PHUCK. this things as heavy as Oprah."

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was looking at the Azonic at Jensonusa they claim it is a 2008 but the tube looks straight in the pic. I rode a Morewood Shova Lt for awhile, I loved it. I am looking to get something with a little more travel to race this season. Unfortunatley I am on a tight budget and Morewood's prices went up drastically this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

smell my finger
    That's not the updated version. I too am intriqued by these frames, Bang for buck, yah baby. The bend in the seat tube would be in the area where the seat stay crosses the seat tube.

N* Bomber Crew
    Morewood Izimu is more DH oriented, although you could alter the Geo to make it a more FR oriented rig I suppose. Shova LT would be much better for FR needs.

The B52 looks promising, but I don't like the geo of it too much. It'll do great for freeride though, the head angle is too steep for my tastes. The B52 had two problems, 1. The shock bottoming and the rear tire hitting the seat post, and I believe that problem 2 was the ISCG Mounts were craptastic.

Its good that you are doing your homework though. Double check on the ISCG mount to make sure they fixed that too. (Or was it even a problem to begin with?)
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    He i own a 2007 b52 frame for a couple of months now and its great.
    The rear tire hits the seattower at full compression but whit a good shox setting its hardly
    an issue. The geo is slacker than stated on the azonic website, for example the head angle is i can see more like 65' . And the wheelbase is longer also. More like an speci demo 7. I upgraded the frame whit an 5th element shox for more bottom out resistance. The only thing you do is to and get the 08 version, then you wil get the max out of the 7.3 inc of suspension. It,s more a downhill frame than it is a freeride frame. I cut of the cablemount on the seattower and put a sticker on it to protect the paint against rubbing whit the tire.The iscg mount is oke. I got an e thirteen chainguide on it and no problems at all. I was riding around on it today an was doing a smal roadgap on it and some other stuff and it pedals an rides like on rail. Pedaling over roots and stone,s is easy whit this bike.
    O ye and its lite to the frame alone was around 4.6 kg in size m and the complete bike is around 17.5 kg

Glad to Be Alive
    b-52.....great bang for your buck.....solid bike you will love
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm not bashing the b-52 but here's an option to consider, there some great deals on Turner highlines in the classifieds right now. You could get a used highline for about the same price as the azonic. I can tell you from experience that Turners customer service and warranty on a used frame will be better than Azonics policy for their new frames.

You can run the highline with a 8.5 shock for 7.2" of travel and low BB/slack angles or run a 8.75" shock for 8" of travel and geometry more specific to running a dual crown forks.

Like the azonic, the highline has a 150mm rear end, but unlike the azonic it has a 83mm bottom bracket, which means you can run a dual chainring. On the azonic (73mm shell) you'd have to add 1cm spacers and use an 83mm BB otherwise your chainline would be wack with two rings.

The highline also has the super cool saint-style /maxle compatible 150mm axle/derailuer hanger.

And needle bearings with zirk pivots

No weird bottom-out / seat tube contact issues either. Having been out a few years, the highline's design is totally dialed in now.

Just my .02c.
    I'm sure the azonic is wicked for the money though.