mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Avy Montie or chubbie on Enduro 150?

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my 5th Excrement shock to a coil one and was wondering if the boys at avalanche can tune a montie to be as good as a DHX Coil?

I'm even looking at a chubbie which I have heard fantastic reviews about. The only other coil shock I've looked at getting is a PUSH tuned DHX Coil which after having 2 other shocks PUSH'd I know will be superb.

It's a pay your money take your chances thing but I want to have something special, a one off.

Anybody got any views?

Cheers.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

CCDB Titanium

Get the double barrel. Not a one off, but pretty rare nonetheless. You can tune that thing to do anything you want with no internal valving changes. Looks sweet too.

Pro Crastinator
    i've been running an Avy on my Canfield for over a year now and think it is absolutely worth every penny i paid for it...
    Craig does an excellent job at custom tuning your shock for your bike/weight/riding style...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I like the sound of the CCDB but theres too much to adjust, which means too much to get wrong IMO. Also, isnt the CCDB mega expensive and quite heavy?

I like the sound of an avy montie with Ti spring. All the main adjustments are done for me then theres just the rebound to set. Then again, I do love to try different settings so maybe a chubbie or PUSH tuned DHX would be better?

I dunno.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just bought a Montie for a Moment, which is my do-everything (trail, AM, light FR) bike. Super sweet custom tuning right out of the box, and delivered within a week. I was amazed the first time I turned the thing downhill, and the faster I go the smoother it feels. I have a MX suspension guru right down the street that can do oil/nitrogen for me, so no down-time. Same price as a generic DHX 5.0, which was back-ordered several weeks, anyway. I'm sure PUSH does a fine job with the DHX, but the shock itself is not built like an Avy.

The Chubie or Woodie shocks are going to be more expensive and heavier than a Montie, but do include external compression adjustment. I'd just as soon not have a bunch of knobs that need diddling. A Ti spring might drop 1/4 to 1/2 lb, but that's all it'll do for you. I think you'll be really happy with any of the Avy shocks.

I just need to find an AM fork that's up to the standard of my Avy shock, and doesn't weigh a ton or cost $1k+.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just bought an Avy Montie for my Sinister splinter mx. Though it hasn't arrived yet I went with the Avy over the DHX because I couldn't find a 7.875x2.25" DHX anywhere. Also, from what I've read, the Montie when valved for your weight and riding style is almost indistinguishable from a chubie or dhs. You do lose adjustability in that you can't crank up the compression for a climb or whatever. Also, its not length adjustable for different frames like the pricier shocks are. I'm a chronic shock adjuster myself and expect climbing and descending shock performance so we'll see how Craig can valve the thing for me. Also, Craig was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. Very direct, but he answered all my questions. I'll try and post once I get the shock in a few days.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    I'm even looking at a chubbie which I have heard fantastic reviews about.Cheers.
    (Just like my prom date) I have to ask, what's a "chubbie"?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    I'll leave that between you and your date.

For some reason he spells it "Chubie".
    http://avalanchedownhillracing.com/chubie.html

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I think it might be the montie

Gonna give Craig a ring this week and see what he can do.

I'm in the UK and was worried about servicing/tuning but he said any MX shop (there are a few near me) can service/tune it which put my mind at ease.

I like the thought of something not many other people have and the fact that it's tuned specifically for me.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my 5th Excrement shock to a coil one and was wondering if the boys at avalanche can tune a montie to be as good as a DHX Coil?

I'm even looking at a chubbie which I have heard fantastic reviews about. The only other coil shock I've looked at getting is a PUSH tuned DHX Coil which after having 2 other shocks PUSH'd I know will be superb.

It's a pay your money take your chances thing but I want to have something special, a one off.

Anybody got any views?

Cheers.
    You might need to verify what shocks will fit that frame. Could there be clearance issues with the seat-tube?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thought I'd post with a Montie review if anyone's interested. I've had the shock for a week now and the performance is just off the charts. For comparison, I've ridden a PUSHed Vanilla RC, progressive 5 way, dhx 5.0, and swinger 6 ways in the past. The Montie simply blows them all away. It's not the best pedalling shock but certainly not bad. Hits of any size just seem to disappear and while all other shocks I've ridden experience some spiking on big high speed bumps, the Avy just devours them. Though I was wary of not having a compression adjustment, I've found I don't miss it at all. Actually its kind of nice to not have a bunch of adjustments that deceive me into thinking I can get better performance from the shock. No amount of tuning with other shocks has given anything close to the performance of the Montie. Custom tuning and simplicity, love this shock! Big ups to Craig.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toothlessrancidbear
    Thought I'd post with a Montie review if anyone's interested. I've had the shock for a week now and the performance is just off the charts. For comparison, I've ridden a PUSHed Vanilla RC, progressive 5 way, dhx 5.0, and swinger 6 ways in the past. The Montie simply blows them all away. It's not the best pedalling shock but certainly not bad. Hits of any size just seem to disappear and while all other shocks I've ridden experience some spiking on big high speed bumps, the Avy just devours them. Though I was wary of not having a compression adjustment, I've found I don't miss it at all. Actually its kind of nice to not have a bunch of adjustments that deceive me into thinking I can get better performance from the shock. No amount of tuning with other shocks has given anything close to the performance of the Montie. Custom tuning and simplicity, love this shock! Big ups to Craig.
    After about 3 weeks with the Montie on my Moment, I couldn't agree more. The only thing I do is add a turn or two of preload for long climbs to stiffen it up a bit. I put a piece of tape on the preload collar to make it easy to count turns. Great shock for the price, or maybe any price.