mtbr member

Avid QR20 adapter for 04 DJ2?

x-post from brakes, but I'm not gettin' the love there - so I'll post where people may actually use this combo.

Do I need Avid's QR20 adpater to mount my 203 mm mechanicals to an 04 DJ2? I gave it a try with my regular fork adapter, and the caliper is oriented properly. But - I need spacers between the fork mounts and the adapter to get the caliper to line up with the rotor properly. And when I do, the adapter is extremely close to rubbing against the rotor.

Is Avid's QR 20 adapter offset in order to provide clearance from the rotor, or was it really only needed for older QR20 forks?

Thanks!

TNC
    noMAD man

Hayes and Avid?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz
    x-post from brakes, but I'm not gettin' the love there - so I'll post where people may actually use this combo.

Do I need Avid's QR20 adpater to mount my 203 mm mechanicals to an 04 DJ2? I gave it a try with my regular fork adapter, and the caliper is oriented properly. But - I need spacers between the fork mounts and the adapter to get the caliper to line up with the rotor properly. And when I do, the adapter is extremely close to rubbing against the rotor.

Is Avid's QR 20 adapter offset in order to provide clearance from the rotor, or was it really only needed for older QR20 forks?

Thanks!
    I work at a shop, but no one around here is running any Avids, much less 8" models. Most all here are running Hayes with a smattering of Shimano. Years ago I had an Avid mech. on a '99 Marzocchi Drop Off with standard QR. I thought this caliper was identical to Hayes in its post mount design and 74mm spacing. Is that the case? I notice that according to Hayes, all QR20 8" adapters use the same 98-15069 part # for several years on back. I wasn't actually aware that all Zoke forks with 8" rotors use the same adapter. I thought QR20s had their own application. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it appears that all Zoke forks with 8" rotors basically use the same adapter. I did notice something different mentioned on a new Monster T, but that's off topic here. It would appear that even if Avid and Hayes are not identical in their caliper dimensions, the mounting issues should be very similar in their adapter line. I'd like to hear from someone with the real knowledge on this Avid/Hayes deal.

mtbr member
    [Well I've talked to a couple of bike shops with limited results. Both said "there is no such thing as an Avid QR20 adapter". Wrong, there is - I'm just not sure how it differs from the regular QR adapter. Regardless, the one shop with half a clue suggested shimming with washers, which is how they've been mounting them. So I'm back to square one. Maybe I'll just shut up and ride it as is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz
    [Well I've talked to a couple of bike shops with limited results. Both said "there is no such thing as an Avid QR20 adapter". Wrong, there is - I'm just not sure how it differs from the regular QR adapter. Regardless, the one shop with half a clue suggested shimming with washers, which is how they've been mounting them. So I'm back to square one. Maybe I'll just shut up and ride it as is.
    My Avid experience is almost none, but of our 20 forks that use a IS mount use the same adaptor.... Try looking for an 8in mount with a 20mm axle....

Brian