mtbr member

Attn: midwesterers/ Porcupine Mountains

FWIW,

For any mid-westerners that may be interested in another lift-served riding opportunity, The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park has entered into an agreement with Gogebic Community College to manage the winter sports comlex as part of their ski area management program/curriculum.

I have it directly from the folks managing the area that they'd consider running the chairs in the off season (to include bicycles) if there was enough interest from the public.

If you're so inclined, please contact Jim Vander Spoel at the below address and express your interest in seeing this service provided.

Also, our local club,The Nonesuch Mountain Bike Club which is part of the Friends of the Porcupine Mountains, is looking forward to advocating trail riding within the park and are working closely with the park administration to see it promoted.

You can contact the club at: nonesuchmountainbikeclub@gmail.com or facebook us.

Jim Vander Spoel
    Interim Director Ski Area Management
    E. 4946 Jackson Rd.
    Ironwood, MI 49938
    Phone: 906-932-4231 ext. 269
    Cell: 906-285-1341
    E-mail: jimv@gogebic.edu

Professional Troll
    Wowzers, 900 ft. of vert? That's huge for the midwest. All you midwestern-ers, 900 feet of vert is MORE than enough to make an awesome DH/FR bike park. You should all get behind this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Wowzers, 900 ft. of vert? That's huge for the midwest. All you midwestern-ers, 900 feet of vert is MORE than enough to make an awesome DH/FR bike park. You should all get behind this.
    Seriously agree!

The midwest is a vast area of nothingness imho... If you are anywhere within 4 hours of here I would suggest getting fully behind this.

We need more bike parks and opportunities like this one don't come along every day!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the bumpage guys.

The Porkies might not be close enough for most living below of the bridge, but for anyone just south of the Cheddar Curtain, they ought to show some keen interest in seeing this become fruitful.

The most exciting part of this whole thing, in my mind, is the interest and support being displayed by the park administration and by GCC. They've been incredibly positive regarding this issue and would like to see year around use of the ski area expand.

Professional Troll
    Ya, 7.5 hours from Chicago, and less than that for all of WI and Minnesota. That's not that far. Closer than Northstar to Socal, and Southern Wisconsin and Minnesota would be about the distance from LA to Mammoth, and no real traffic to speak of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you build it riders will come.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID View Post
    If you build it riders will come.
    Workin hard to keep 'merica safe against evildoers. We're even comin in on weekends. (using George W. Bush voice)

It would be nice to get a few more trail slaves on board though.....

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this. I live in Madison and would definitely drive up for some lift access stuff. Hike a bike at our local ski jump trails is getting old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oh come on, Blackhawk isn't so bad (In fact for the midwest it's awesome). But yeah, I'd definitely make it up there multiple weekends a year if this was available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Oh come on, Blackhawk isn't so bad (In fact for the midwest it's awesome). But yeah, I'd definitely make it up there multiple weekends a year if this was available.
    Totally agree, I'm there 3-4 days per week. We're lucky to have it

mtbr member
    Thanks guys....

I think the park administrators would really like to hear your voice too. They are very open to anything that would fit into increased recreational usage within the park.

Their contact info is:

Bill Doan: DOANW@michigan.gov

and

Kasey Mahoney: MahoneyK@michigan.gov

and the Friends wanted me to post a little something regarding this weekends upcoming events:

Chairlift rides to the top of the Ski Hill
    September 22 from12pm-7pm
    A great way to see the fall color change

Celebrating National Public Lands Day & Introducing the Nonesuch Mountain Bike Club
    Trail maintenance, Invasive Plant Species Removal and litter pick-up along our Mountain Bike Trails
    Bring your mountain bike for a ride after the event
    September 29 from 10am-3pm at the Ski Chalet/Winter Sports Complex

and:

It's a go!
    Last Thursday, September 13, the contract was signed and the partnership is Official.
    Thank you all who sent letters in support of the ski hill.
    The Porcupine Mountains Ski Hill will operate 7 days a week from December 15 to January 6, 2013. After January 6, the hill will operate 4 days a week - Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Matt Schnell Design Team was there to get ideas about branding and marketing the ski hill.

mtbr member
    Props to anyone who has contacted the college.

I talked to Jim this weekend and he has read the emails that have been sent. From what I could read into the conversasion, lift serve status has gone from possible to likely.

Your opinion matters and is being taken seriously. Please continue to spread the word.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Trail System

Well, get out there and build a trail network. It is far from a complete trail system where it would be worth it to run the ski lift. I'd love to see it happen. I'll try to help anyway I can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anymore news on this place? I'd love to get up there in the spring for a huge build weekend? Lets make some HUGE jumps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Anymore news on this place? I'd love to get up there in the spring for a huge build weekend? Lets make some HUGE jumps!
    Excellent idea.

I'll look into the possibility of the park putting aside some space at the ski area next spring and maybe we can coordinate something like this for next year.

The Friends of the Porkies would definately be up for it.