mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Anyone using a Lapiere Spicy? Would a Nomad be a better option?

Hey all

My assumptns are that Lappiere Spicy owners are more trail orientated that sending it over a gap / dr, but I've love to hear otherwise.

I'm debating either a Spicy or a Nomad as an AM bike that can do it all with a change in wheels and peals only.

The Nomad has been around for a long time now in it's various forms and many riders have been testing its abilities greatly with gravity orientated riding. A few good vids of Factory riders sending large gaps etc on YouTube too. But... The fear of the top tube cracking around the pivot point on both medium and large frames is scaring me away from the Nomad with the assumption that this kind of riding will only accelerate the likelihood for frame failure. Although the geo sounds pretty perfect.

Currently own an Intese Uzzi (VPX), built light ish with Totem air and a Cove G Spot again built light ish with Talas 36's, Thomson kit, etc. Both bikes have been pretty bombproof but I'm wanting a bike in the middle that is a little longer, lower and faster on the descents.

All input welcome guys, thanks.

mtbr member
    I have heard of a few problems in forum posts, but numerous friends at work ride carbon nomads that get abused 5 days a week and have not had a single problem. It is an absolutely incredible bike. I would take it over the lapierre any day of the week if I were looking for something long and low for descending. I prefer my Canfield One to the Nomad for most things, but my first day on a Nomad redefined how a bike should ride.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That Canfield looks a pretty sweet ride buddy

It's comments like yours that really push me on the direction of the Nomad, they do seem to get rave reviews everywhere. They all seem to say Santa Cruz nailed it when they designed the Nomad. The one I would be going for would be an Alu frame however, I would LOVE a carbon version but I'm not sinking that much into it however much my man maths tell me it's a good idea. Appreciate the input, thanks.