mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Anyone try CB Sage wheelset?

Just purchased a set of Crank Bros Sage wheels and cannot find much user feedback on them. What I have read wasn't very positive so not sure if I want to keep them. Has anyone ran a set on their DH bikes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had their iodine on y all Mtn bike and beat them to hell. The only wheel dent (1) I ever got was more than deserved. I would purchase them again.

mtbr member
    I have had a set on my DH bike (Santa Cruz Driver 8) for a the past year and half. These were the older model that retailed for $950 (didn't pay near that). Not sure if they changed anything or just dropped the price since they were generally selling in the $500-$650 range. Other than some hub drag issues in the beginning (the rubber seal between the hub body and free hub body appears to have been installed backwards from the factory.... it would not free spool with out kinking the chain till I flipped the seal over); they have been trouble free since. They survived 2 weeks at deer valley last summer (on some very old school rocky trails) and a week at Trestle Bike Park. I'm not a big hucker but do tend to plow through rock gardens.

They also look cool and get comments at the trail head.

74 & 29 pilot
    Yes. They have held up great under my hack azz on very rocky terrain in Phoenix and Bootleg Canyon

Only one rim dent, which pulled out easily, from smacking a rock at full speed right after flatting. No other problems with these or any of my Iodines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone try CB Sage wheelset?-img_1252.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What are the differences between the original and the Sage 2 model? I see that the sage 2 has some of the metal removed from the rim but is that it? I asked CB but all I got is that the hub is different and uses different freehub and bearings, so I don't know if one is better than the other.