mtbr member

Anyone tried this ControlTech DH Stem?

I was looking for a slightly longer AM/DH style stem (65mm) and saw this one from ControlTech but can't find any reviews at all. The size and weight looks just about right for me but I like to read some positive reviews of parts before I try them. Anyone know anything about this stem? Are they made here in the Pacific northwest? Thanks for any input/comments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ControlTech, back in the day, my personal experience was that they made light stuff that failed in alarming ways. They caused me a nasty wipre out, no biggies in the end... they owe my brother 8 teeth.
    Good luck.
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

bike rider
    It looks pretty stocky is is probably fairly heavy. I don't see how it could let you down. My AM/FR stem is a 55mm Pro that's pretty light and hasn't failed yet. MUCH svelter than that.
    It's likely made in Taiwan.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I never really thought of Controltech as a company that made "burly" parts. I would say there are probably better options out there.

mtbr member
    AS most said, Control Tech was a XC oriented parts maker back in the 90's. I wouldn't want to loose any teeth either so I'd go with Truvativ Hussefelt if price has any impact for you. I have 3 Hussefelt 40mm
    and one Holzfeller 60mm and haven't lost any teeth, plus if it ever fails on you, (which I doubt) Sram is the parent company so you can go after them. Control Tech...who knows where they are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    stem reviews

"This stem is made of metal. It bolts on to steer tube, and and allows the handlebars to be bolted to it. Its weight is reasonable"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by William42 View Post
    stem reviews

"This stem is made of metal. It bolts on to steer tube, and and allows the handlebars to be bolted to it. Its weight is reasonable"
    Haha, awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Renthal has pretty cool looking stem.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    buy american, buy thompson, pass down to your grand kids when you get sick of having the same stem that hasn't broken after decades of abuse.

use a torque wrench and that stuff will last a lifetime

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grnbkr View Post
    buy american, buy thompson, pass down to your grand kids when you get sick of having the same stem that hasn't broken after decades of abuse.

use a torque wrench and that stuff will last a lifetime

Matt
    lol you mean like these?

that all broke in the exact same spot (not next to the bolts/stress risers)

bike rider
    Kinda looks like they were over-torqued and that bent, then cracked the faceplate.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    yeah those bolts definitely show signs of over torquing

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thats what happens when you tighten the top or bottom all the way, then torque the opposite side too much, POP!

-Matt

Huckin' trails
    About the OP stem... I've Jenson had a Azionic Phantom stem on sale. You might wanna check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    OP here,

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like there are quite a few AM/DH style stems in the 40-50mm range but not too much beyond that. I have a 70mm right now and I'm pushing the reach comfort zone on my frame size so don't want to go much shorter. The new Easton Havoc comes in a 65mm but it's a rock.

Anyone know if the Sunline V1 bolt stripping issues were resolved? I believe that comes in a 65mm and is fairly light for that style stem, but I read a bunch of reviews where guys were stripping the face plate bolts.