i should be working

anyone made their own dh rings?

has anyone had any luck with making their own DH chainrings? i have a CNC here at school and i'm pretty decent with it and i though i'd tackle the project instead of spending 40$ on a ring.

i know most rings are aluminum but there are alot of different kinds of aluminum. anyone know what type? also should i anodize it to made it harder? would that be better or worse (chainwear, bending)? anyway just a few questions. also i dont own a DH ring, so i have no idea how thick they are. could someone help he out in this area. thanks. i'll let everyon know how it comes out when i make it. -ron

jibber of the unjibbable
    I make all my own DH rings. I have to, to give them the extral level of blingability while hucking black diamond drops and hittin up the bangin erbin jibs in my town, if I didn't make them, I don't know if I'd be able to hang wit all the homiez that are down wit it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=6]Boogie down to free James Brown[/SIZE]

We get titles?

Cooter, do you post anything useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    I make all my own DH rings. I have to, to give them the extral level of blingability while hucking black diamond drops and hittin up the bangin erbin jibs in my town, if I didn't make them, I don't know if I'd be able to hang wit all the homiez that are down wit it
    Most people here seem to appreciate a useful contribution once in a while.

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    Most people here seem to appreciate a useful contribution once in a while.

my bad man, I feel so bad about that, here ya go, I hope this will cut the mustard for ya
    Attached Images Attached Images

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!
    I actually enjoy the 200 different words that include jib in them...it's funny.

jib-errific
    jib-tastic
    jib-meister
    magnifi-jib
    erbin jibbing
    sk8park jib
    jib jive
    jib jam
    jib jelly
    phat-jib
    jibbly

Pro Crastinator
    I actually enjoy the 200 different words that include cooter in them...it's funny.

cooter -errific
    cooter -tastic
    cooter -meister
    magnifi-cooter
    erbin cootering
    sk8park cooter
    cooter jive
    cooter jam
    cooter jelly
    phat-cooter
    cooterly

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    I actually enjoy the 200 different words that include cooter in them...it's funny.

cooter -errific
    cooter -tastic
    cooter -meister
    magnifi-cooter
    erbin cootering
    sk8park cooter
    cooter jive
    cooter jam
    cooter jelly
    phat-cooter
    cooterly

well I'm glad that someone likes me, I just don't know what I would do if I got on this board and no one liked me. I would have to go and weep softly by a small forest brook and slit my wrists knowing that I could never return because I was unwanted on emteebeearrr

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!
    ouch...after being grouped with the XC weenies, shaving weenies, nutrition weenies, and weight weiners of emteebeearrr, I take back my comment of "liking".

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamanx
    ouch...after being grouped with the XC weenies, shaving weenies, nutrition weenies, and weight weiners of emteebeearrr, I take back my comment of "liking".

ah well, add one more to the list of Nate haters

my heart breaks as I type this, whatever shall I do?

I like cars too
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    has anyone had any luck with making their own DH chainrings? i have a CNC here at school and i'm pretty decent with it and i though i'd tackle the project instead of spending 40$ on a ring.

i know most rings are aluminum but there are alot of different kinds of aluminum. anyone know what type? also should i anodize it to made it harder? would that be better or worse (chainwear, bending)? anyway just a few questions. also i dont own a DH ring, so i have no idea how thick they are. could someone help he out in this area. thanks. i'll let everyon know how it comes out when i make it. -ron

Hey, maybe I could post something worth a crap and not respond to the crap. I am sure you can find the specs for DH rings on any manufacturers website. Make sure it looks really cool so everyone knows it is custom. I wish I had access to a cnc machine.

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!
    ah well, add one more to the list of Nate haters

my heart breaks as I type this, whatever shall I do?

Of all people, I would expect you never to ask.

With nate haters, wars, famine, disease, what else is there to do???.....JIB

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Ron,
    I own 3 different brands of chainrings, basically through trial & error trying to get the right chainline setup with my Saint cranks & e.13 guide.

Anyway, the Shimano Saint & Blackspire chainrings I have are 4mm thick. If you look at them from a cross sectional view, there is a 1mm step around the outer diameter before the taper of the teeth, which basically means the teeth are 2mm at their base. There are also recesses machined into the rear of the crank bolt holes to allow the rear heads of the crank bolts to sit flush with the chainring.

I also have just got a hold of the new e.13 guide rings. These things are amazingly light. They are made from 7075 aluminium, hardened to T6, and clear anodised. They are a shade under 3mm thick and have a 0.5mm step. Here's a link for some pics & info on it;

http://www.e13components.com/guide_rings.html

Hope this helps you out a little & good luck with making your own rings.

Catch ya later.........Joe

i should be working

yes!!!

finally something worth responding to in this thread. no offense to anyone who did respond, your comments were entertaining atleast. thanks!!!

as for checking manufacturing websites, no one ever posts specs or diagrams, they all want you to buy their crap not give out free plans to make it. i've run into the same problem trying to make disc adapters for my stab. yes they exist but no one tells any design specs. (its a non-IS mount). i'll probably draw up the plans later this week in mastercam. i'll also share my plans if the ring actually works well, it might take a few prototypes. now i just got to decide how many teeth to make it.

jibber of the unjibbable
    finally something worth responding to in this thread. no offense to anyone who did respond, your comments were entertaining atleast. thanks!!!

as for checking manufacturing websites, no one ever posts specs or diagrams, they all want you to buy their crap not give out free plans to make it. i've run into the same problem trying to make disc adapters for my stab. yes they exist but no one tells any design specs. (its a non-IS mount). i'll probably draw up the plans later this week in mastercam. i'll also share my plans if the ring actually works well, it might take a few prototypes. now i just got to decide how many teeth to make it.

Yeah, I would take an existing chainring and measure the radius of the teeth cutouts then the measurement of the top of the tooth and space them equally on whatever size ring you're wanting to make. It could be accomplished a lot easier if one had access to a vertical CNC mill with an indexable table, then you could just put an end mill in the machine, have it cut your tool path, table indexes and makes the next cut. I would wait to heat treat til after cutting them since the metal is softer and machinability is a lot better. Then run your mill around the center of the piece for your steps, deburr and see how it works

I like cars too
    Mar 2004
    Wow, i just realized you are making the chain-rings. I have thought of making my own bashguards, but chainrings I would have to think is going to be a way more involved project. Cooters advice seems sound, see if someone in your area has one with the size you want and copy the basic shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey man,
    The link was basically just so you could see the ring itself & get an idea of how it was machined up. Comanies will generally never give out detailed specs & plans man, they make money off this stuff & spend quite a bit on R & D. They won't give up that fine detailed info to anyone to just go & copy.

As Cooter mentioned, you could take the basic tooth measurements from an XC ring to get the radius, profiles, tapers & spacing right, then go from there. As far as how many teeth, well that's a personal choice. Most popular ones seem to be between 36-42 teeth for dh.

Take care & I'll catch ya later.......Joe
    Last edited by The Sleeper; 05-25-2004 at 09:54 PM.

Pro Crastinator
    Yeah, I would take an existing chainring and measure the radius of the teeth cutouts then the measurement of the top of the tooth and space them equally on whatever size ring you're wanting to make. It could be accomplished a lot easier if one had access to a vertical CNC mill with an indexable table, then you could just put an end mill in the machine, have it cut your tool path, table indexes and makes the next cut. I would wait to heat treat til after cutting them since the metal is softer and machinability is a lot better. Then run your mill around the center of the piece for your steps, deburr and see how it works
    what?!?!?!?! is this useful information

[SIZE=7]what a sell out!!![/SIZE]

jibber of the unjibbable
    what?!?!?!?! is this useful information

[SIZE=7]what a sell out!!![/SIZE]

I know, I don't know what the deal was. I think I sobered up or somthing

Pro Crastinator
    I know, I don't know what the deal was. I think I sobered up or somthing
    i'm thinking somone hacked into your account and made some usefull posts to give you some creditibility

jibber of the unjibbable
    i'm thinking somone hacked into your account and made some usefull posts to give you some creditibility

I'll bet it was VIA, he secretly wants to be me