mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Anyone fit XX1 to a 7"-8" travel bike yet?

I know it probably sounds silly to many, but I'm planning on trying this on the wife's next big bike. We use our big bikes for everything from bike parks to rough Moab trail rides like Porcupine. Sold hers when she got pregnant with #2 knowing that it would be a while till she was ready to ride at this level again, and the bike was still worth something. Also, I was starting to play with 160mm bikes for Porcupine (I'm happily back to using the big bike for those duties - I may not ride quite as fast on the boring stretches, but I have more fun finding creative lines).

Anyways, I've been using a Hammerschmidt on my Glory for years and would do the same for her until the option of a 11-42 cassette appeared. I might try to use a frame w/73mm BB so XX1 cranks are an option, but I'm sure I could also run most any single ring with a guide.

My big concern is really the clutch on the Type 2 RD. Most any 180-205mm travel frame has enough chain growth that the clunk could be really annoying. It seems to be about 50/50 between friends who are feeling the clunk and those not. I definitely felt more of it when I moved my X9 Type 2 from my Mojo HD to a Reign X.

If this works out, I'm totally going to the dinner plate rear cassette on the Glory too so I can drop 1.5lbs...I can't wait to ride a 34lb 8" travel trail bike with a gravity dropper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    this guy has put it on his canfield one Canfield one mountain bike review - YouTube
    he doesn't offer much review of it and he does say that he broke 2 xx1 chains before switching to an 11 speed shimano road chain.