mtbr member

New question here. anybody use a Diabolus seatpost

i was thinking of getting one and there aren't too many reviews. anyone rode one and hated/liked it??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mixmasterbike
    i was thinking of getting one and there aren't too many reviews. anyone rode one and hated/liked it??
    I love mine. I've broken lots of other posts, including older RF posts. Mine is clamping a 9mm THE dirtjump seat (had to remove a small spacer, no problem). This is THE hot set up if you go big and break stuff.

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep, I love my Diabolus seatpost, I've never really had problems with other posts, but the Diabolus is hinged with two bolts making it easy to mount the seat,....well, not that mounting a seat is hard anyways

mtbr member
    its between the diabolus and a thomson for the bullit. i like the diab but thomson seems to be the standard. i can't seem to find their warranty though. i might just have to venture from the norm. hmmmmm....

mtbr member

Both are excellent

I have never owned a Thompson, so I can only comment on the Raceface posts.

Daibolus is heavier and capable of accomodating much more serious seat post angles. The two bolt design causes the sadle to almost never move. This is a very good thing. Seat posts like the XY tend to suffer from the saddle rotating if you land really hard on the back of the saddle. Syncros posts would break from this. I know that Thompson posts have excellent reliability and I can't say if they would break or not under this type of severe loading. They may be totally fine.

However, the diabolus has the advantage that it WILL slip. It has to be a really, really hard hit for this to happen, but it can save you from a broken seat post.

Really, there is not too much to dislike about either seat post. Both companies have great reputations and generally make solid products. I have been using the Diabolus posts for just over a year now, and really, like them. My only complaint is that they are short at 350mm - this seems to be a trend in the seat post manufacturing world; I would like it if it was offered in a 400mm length.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have two thomsons that I use on my lighter bikes. They are great. The Diabolous is heavy duty for people who need heavy duty. Also the head of the Diabolous rotates to allow a much wider range of adjustment than the Thomson, which is limited. The knurling combined with the double clamps will never slip if tightened down securely. The clamp is beefier than most xc stems, the old xyo race face posts are a joke. My DH bike has a very laid back seat tube angle that leaves the nose of the saddle pointed way up when running a Thomson. I think there are optional heads for the thomson that might take care of some angle problems. Also the clamping area of the thomson is shorter making it easier to bend seat rails down.
    Last edited by TWISTED; 08-18-2004 at 12:24 AM.