keystone addict

Anybody know the new plans in the works for keystone this season?

I heard they're building like five new trails, and that Bender is taking over most of the freeride stuff? can anybody confirm this? what kinda stuff can we expect?

DenverDH'er
    I've heard something similar to that, but not confirmed. I like what they have been doing over the past few years though, in a few more Keystones going to be the s**t!!

Local Paperboy Hero
    If they only made the bike park to be as rad as the terrain park in the winter...

Edit: Actually, I was thinking about Breck's terrain park, but Key's is pretty rad, too.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    I heard they're building like five new trails, and that Bender is taking over most of the freeride stuff? can anybody confirm this? what kinda stuff can we expect?
    I love keystone.......favorite park out of Snoeshoe, Big Bear, Mammoth, Vail, and I forgot the place in Oregon (not Mt.Hood).

They make trails with DH'ers in mind
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

DenverDH'er
    I'm not really into the "terrain park" type of riding. I'm more into speed and drops. Maybe I'm just not talented enough for tricks, but speed is a rush for me, just flowing and such, and I'm working up to the bigger drops although I imagine 7 feet is about my max. I'm too old to be dropping those 15 and 20 footers.

Winter Parks DH run is a blast simply because of how fast it is and the very frequent jumps. Vail is nice too due to some of the steeper parts and they really take care of the trails. Breckenridge TOTALLY sucks!! But all and all, Keystone is still my favorite mountain for DHing in Colorado.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Confirmed..!

I'm a CO local and I can confirm it. Bender is definitely on the bike crew and doing a great job..!

We got approval for 7 new trails last year (that's top to bottom) and they built a new one towards the end of last year that had probably 10 double jumps.. it's sweet. They also started a new trail that will will be similiar to A-Line. It will have 20+ table top jumps top to bottom.. maybe more. Noone got to ride that b/c it wasn't finished yet.

So they will be able to build 5 more trails (top to bottom) this year, but I'm not sure all of it will be done this year. That place has everything.. high speed, natural terrain and now.. jumps.. jumps and more jumps.

P"

DenverDH'er
    Hey Mothahucker,

You still running nevegals? Have you ever run Minions? If so, I was just wondering how you would say they stack up? I was thinking about buying some nevegal 2.7 stickies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another 'confirmed' from me. I got to see Keystone's new "A-line" style trail on the last days of riding last year, and it looks like it's going to be sick. The new trails are super fun, and there's tons more on the way. I ran into some dude building trails and talked for a while, took me a while to realize it was Bender, he's a really chill guy AND he's got really cool ideas for trails. The plan (if I understood correctly) is lots more use of existing terrain, not using wood everywhere unless it is actually needed. The Drop Zone will stay, but equal sized natural drops will start appearing on the new trails and there will be ride-arounds for everything.

best thing to me is all the options they will open up, the new trails are in short sections that let you mix it up all day long. Plus not having to start on Cowboy Up every time is a blast

mtbr member
    Keystone is very fun and getting better.

Vail has only 2 legitimate DH trails and one was closed all last summer. I also heard that because of this Vail offered refunds for their Bike haul season passes. Vail basically could care less about DH'ers and freeriders. The make heaps more money selling Wedding packages and who wants to see a bunch of grubby bikers on the same Gondola as a bunch of Wedding Partygoers.
    Beaver Creek had some sick downhill trails a few years ago, I know I still poach them, but the got rid of them because it didn't mash with their image.

Vail Resorts Inc. basically has sunk it's effort into Keystone, which sucks because I live in Vail. But not so bad cause I get a free haul pass to Keystone which is balls fun.

Anybody get to see the 20' natural terrain step down gappper they built on JamRock this summer? I got to see a couple trail crewers hit it and it was sweet.

Peace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I also heard that because of this Vail offered refunds for their Bike haul season passes.
    boy, last season was bad there but I had no idea it was THAT bad! I guess I should've known something was up when the employees told me to just stick to the pirate trails (!). I went once, and ended up riding Radio Flyer etc all day. Vail is off-menu for me until they at least finish construction. It'll be done in what, 15 more years?

I watched a few guys hit that gapper- dudes launched at like low trail speed and landed without a sound, so smooth the suspension barely moved, it looked so casual and easy for such a huge gap. Gave me the confidence to try it myself- almost. Amazing trail building, there. The part right before and after the gap is the best DH I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Yeah construction in Vail is massive now. Too bad cause Vail has so much terrain that they could build a insane bike park and keep it isolated from the weddings at Eagle's nest. There is just not a lot of profit in BikeParks compared to Weddings and Golf and real estate development.

I agree about that gapper. Smooooooth.

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    Hey Mothahucker,

You still running nevegals? Have you ever run Minions? If so, I was just wondering how you would say they stack up? I was thinking about buying some nevegal 2.7 stickies.

hmm, never had nevegals, guess I had better edit my bike description (wrote it before my bike actually got here) . my bad. Actually, the bike came with 2.6 kinetics (absolutely horrible, flatted every time i rode the damn bike ), then I got 2.5 high rollers (great tire, too skinny), and now I am actually on 2.7 minions, dhf and dhr. fatastic tire in my opinion. never will ride anything else. Ran them all season with maxxis tubes at hella-rocky keystone, and didnt get ONE flat . plus they grip great and roll well enough.

all my buddies with nevegals hate them, dunno why.

keystone addict
    Oh my god, I cant wait to see all this new stuff! six more months plus???? shoot me. So does high speed dirt/milky way count as just one trail? Can we get six more? holy crap! I thought the place was sick before!!! damn!!! Hey phil winn, do you work there?

an a-line trail? oh my god, im shaking just thinking about this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mothahucker; 01-16-2007 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    Hey Mothahucker,

What?!?! Did I miss something? Isn't this just a little off subject?

Members who have read this thread: 0