Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Sanchez

Anybody else suffering from ARS?

It's been raining for a week straight, and I am suffering from what I like to call Adrenaline Retention Syndrome. I get very cranky, and the wife can't stand it. She is praying for some sunshine, so I can get out and ride!

Former Noob Herder
    we have 'SAD', or Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's a depression associated with lower sunlight levels and a touch of cabin fever.

think the rifle needs oiling....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Bike Whore
    Jan 2004
    I know what you mean man, I've been working like a dog resently, and havent got a chance to ride. I got some time off comming up and I cant wait to get on the bike again.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    That's what I'm talking about!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    It's been raining for a week straight, and I am suffering from what I like to call Adrenaline Retention Syndrome. I get very cranky, and the wife can't stand it. She is praying for some sunshine, so I can get out and ride!

C'mon Chingy..........

I just checked your weather and they're calling for rain on and off for the next week, but out there that just means you can "see" rain clouds somewhere in the area.

I think you're just "seeing" rain clouds 30 - 40 miles off in the distance.
    You Cali guys don't function well without the sun, huh?

A few more years in the desert and you'll embrace the rain.
    My wife and I used go outside and stand in it.

Go ride and get wet. You might like it.
    If not, have your wife help you with the ARS.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Team Sanchez
    Dude I thought I had moved to the Desert, but it seems I have ended up in Seattle! They claim that we have gotten more rain this season than the past 5 combined! I initially did some riding in the muck here, but a lot of this terrain is like clay. It just packs up on the bike, until you can't pedal anymore. The ground is completely saturated here. We need a good week of sunshine to dry things out.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    Zedro, for some reason I have no problem believing that this might look like you in the winter:

"Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

user-created

Wet Deserts

I initially did some riding in the muck here, but a lot of this terrain is like clay. It just packs up on the bike, until you can't pedal anymore. The ground is completely saturated here. We need a good week of sunshine to dry things out.
    That's pretty much the story here as well. I last rode my bike (on trail) sometime last week.
    Last edited by singletrack; 01-04-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    problem in NY right now is that every things wet and muddy. weather sucks @ss. it stays right above freezing and doesnt heat up or cool. i usualy ride anyway, but, my toe is still messed up.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Just a question, why can't u ride in wet weather...not trying to be sarcastic.

Xtremely Moderate
    That kind of happened to us the 1st couple of weeks in Vegas.

Major nightly down pours and thunder storms, big flash floods, The Strip flooded, etc, etc.........

........then the last 1.5 years we were there - not 1 damn drop of rain.

I know what you mean about the "peanut butter" though.

There were a couple of canyons/washes I used to ride that got wet from rain & melting snow every once in a while and you're right.....it just turns into red porridge.

If you like that, you should try some our fine Georgia clay down here. Same thing, except it rains a lot here.

The good thing about all that rain now is that you will have an awesome desert spring bloom.
    They'll be so much flora and fawna springing up you won't believe it.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    the dirt is great to build with when it's wet down there.
    He's got a point, now is about the only time you can get a pile of dirt to stick together bigger than an ant hill.

The BMXers here use the motor oil method, but I can't say I approve of that....

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by fr-rider
    i ride in the wet, but only during the late spring/summer. now its just a pain riding in the rain.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by fr-rider
    Its a good question. Alot of the soil in these parts (The SW in general) was once the bottom of the ocean. When it gets wet, it turns into muck.

Gotta actively seek out sandy/rocky trails if you wanna ride. Still, the clays and shales are hard to avoid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah you guys are lucky, I can't even grip anything for 12 damn weeks!!!! That is what happens when you almost cut a finger off...god damn slippery floor...of all the stupid sh!t I do I get taken out slippin' on a wet floor...The pic is from the ER, 5 days later I go for a check up at usual hospital, Doc is like why did they stich this shut, you need surgery immediately...2 tendons, one nerve, and one artery destoyed...4hrs of surgery on the 22nd, merry fvckin Cristmas, eh???

My point... Don't *****...the fact that you can ride if you really wanted to puts you a head of me...now I have big fvckin brace and PT for 12 weeks...aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...I need to bike or ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    L8R
    Buck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    i ride in the wet, but only during the late spring/summer. now its just a pain riding in the rain.
    I live in Germany, if we waited for a sunny day we would never get to ride...I wish, I had a nice dry sunny day. One thing I figured out is, it doesn't hurt as bad when the ground is moist.

Just Ride
    thats pretty gnalry dude. how'd you do that? looks like you nearly took it clean off.

its actually been extremely nice in VA the past week or so and is supposed to stay like this. 60 for the next week or so. im rocking the shorts and everything. cant say its dry enough for dirt jumping or anything but the main thing is its warm enough for me to be outside with out complaining. i know i know you canadians and other northerners dont really consider the cold an excuse not to ride but i spent the last two years on the equator. im a bit of a puss on whether haha.

time to ride now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    thats pretty gnalry dude. how'd you do that? looks like you nearly took it clean off.
    Well I slipped on a floor with a glass in my hand, which crushed and cut my finger half off...Now I have like 20 stiches in my hand b/c the tendons, nerves, etc... retracted into my palm and the end of my finger so they had to cut further to get them...sucks balls man...eight stiches turned to surgery, which lead to 20+ stiches, PT, and no right hand for 12 weeks....

L8R
    Buck

Just Ride
    my moms did something very similar when i was much younger. she was carrying a bowl and slipped and nearly cut off her hand entirely. but the same thing happened, she had to have all the tendens pulled out of her forearm and back up to her wrist. it was pretty bad. sucks man, good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    ben, your problem is easily solvable. it's called, pick up a shuvel, and go do some serious diggin. go build something sick for your level. spend a few hours on it. then you will sit and dream about it untill its dry enough to hit. i've spent days building sick hits in your neck of the woods. trust me, it will be worth it, and it will cure your grumpiness. the dirt is great to build with when it's wet down there.
    ZachDank has it down. When it rains you make piles of dirt, or split wood to make elevated structures for future enjoyment. Anyone in this thread that complains about rain probably also complains they don't have good trails near them...

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    Zedro, for some reason I have no problem believing that this might look like you in the winter:

perhaps, but just not as handsome...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I just gave up the riding idea.
    Leashed up the dog and went for a 1 hour run in the rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    my moms did something very similar when i was much younger. she was carrying a bowl and slipped and nearly cut off her hand entirely. but the same thing happened, she had to have all the tendens pulled out of her forearm and back up to her wrist. it was pretty bad. sucks man, good luck with it.
    Are they able to fix it and connect the tendens?

Pro Crastinator
    i've just been throwing the truck in 4x and getting to some serious mudding on some dope local jeep trails.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    He's got a point, now is about the only time you can get a pile of dirt to stick together bigger than an ant hill.

The BMXers here use the motor oil method, but I can't say I approve of that....
    i've never heard of the motor oil method, what is it? do they dump oil on their jumps or something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast