mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New question here. any one raced a !!gt-it1!!

any one raced a gt-it1 if its is not such a good bike fir dh race
    can any one please tell me a good bike under $6000 for heave gh raceing

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    According to GT, The IT-1 is designed as a freeride bike, but it looks like a killer DH race rig to me.

Lopes and the GT team better try tweaking one of these babies out in NORBA or at the World Cup.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Bike Ninja |||
    Wow.. the it-1. quite the pig of a bike. way too heavy to use a race bike, a LOT of brake jack, and the nexxus hub wears out way too quick (its a cruiser hub in a dh bike!)

but, it is a cool-looking bike, and is innovative-ish. but i would not recommend it for dh race use.

as far as kick ass race bikes we have the usual crop:
    Sunday World cup
    Demo 8
    V10 (wait for the 08)
    as well as the intense m3 (or M5 when it comes out)

I've riden an IT-1 and.. well.. no. not the best design.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Cool idea and progressive in that it is a deraillluer-less design, but a few kinks to work out that have already been mentioned

Bike Ninja |||
    Oh, and they don't coast well at all since the drive chain is constantly spinning with the rear wheel. increases drag quite a bit.. forgot to mention that above.

I think a better gear-box design is that of the nicolai g-box versions

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Wow.. the it-1. quite the pig of a bike. way too heavy to use a race bike, a LOT of brake jack, and the nexxus hub wears out way too quick (its a cruiser hub in a dh bike!)

but, it is a cool-looking bike, and is innovative-ish. but i would not recommend it for dh race use.

as far as kick ass race bikes we have the usual crop:
    Sunday World cup
    Demo 8
    V10 (wait for the 08)
    as well as the intense m3 (or M5 when it comes out)

I've riden an IT-1 and.. well.. no. not the best design.
    how much time have u ridden one?

I've done 2 races on mine, ridden it around the midwest and in new zealand (and SoCal in 5 days!!!).

pros:
    -unbelieveably durable and reliable, If crashed hard, and i just get back on the bike no problem, don't even spin the cranks or nothing. I've broken my wrist, and dislocated my shoulder riding this bike and I haven't had to touch anything on it. All the parts are built to last, period.
    -quiet and smooth, no chain slap. Suspension pedals pretty great
    -shifting, can shift in the air, over rock gardens, coasting, etc. its great for rock gardens and such that are in and around turns.
    -part spec, great deal for the money
    -if ure a part whore, this well help calm ure cravings because a lot of the stuff is non-interchangeable
    -UNGODLY STABLE, the thing LOVES jumping, super stable in the air thanks to all the weight being in the middle, and maybe the gyroscopic effects of the constantly spinning chain? Also the long wheelbase is super awezome for rough and steep stuff, I really like it being 6'7"
    -as for the hub failing......what an idiot that guys is ^^, mine is running as new after 6 months, and riding in super muddy stuff all the time. Also the drivetrain is in mint shape, doesn't look like i'll need to change the cogs or chains anytime soon.

cons:
    -heavy, weighs like 46 pounds or so with the 66sl on it
    -the MOST INEFFICIENT bike out there, absolutely a beast to pedal. constantly coasting chain is a lot of drag, nexus hub is super inefficient, but it gets u in better shape
    -gearing, gearing is a bit close for "WC" racing, but I don't mind it so much, I don't shift a whole lot.
    -shifter, meh, its a bit weird, i keep waiting for it to fail, but it hasn't

Overall:
    Wouldn't hesistate to buy it again. Definetley the best bike I've ever ridden. I'm not too worried about the weight and stuff, just gets me in better shape. I love this think. It feels so great, I can go super fast on steep techy descents, its long wheelbase has taught me to drift a bit better.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    how much time have u ridden one?

I've done 2 races on mine, ridden it around the midwest and in new zealand (and SoCal in 5 days!!!).

pros:
    -unbelieveably durable and reliable, If crashed hard, and i just get back on the bike no problem, don't even spin the cranks or nothing. I've broken my wrist, and dislocated my shoulder riding this bike and I haven't had to touch anything on it. All the parts are built to last, period.
    -quiet and smooth, no chain slap. Suspension pedals pretty great
    -shifting, can shift in the air, over rock gardens, coasting, etc. its great for rock gardens and such that are in and around turns.
    -part spec, great deal for the money
    -if ure a part whore, this well help calm ure cravings because a lot of the stuff is non-interchangeable
    -UNGODLY STABLE, the thing LOVES jumping, super stable in the air thanks to all the weight being in the middle, and maybe the gyroscopic effects of the constantly spinning chain? Also the long wheelbase is super awezome for rough and steep stuff, I really like it being 6'7"
    -as for the hub failing......what an idiot that guys is ^^, mine is running as new after 6 months, and riding in super muddy stuff all the time. Also the drivetrain is in mint shape, doesn't look like i'll need to change the cogs or chains anytime soon.

cons:
    -heavy, weighs like 46 pounds or so with the 66sl on it
    -the MOST INEFFICIENT bike out there, absolutely a beast to pedal. constantly coasting chain is a lot of drag, nexus hub is super inefficient, but it gets u in better shape
    -gearing, gearing is a bit close for "WC" racing, but I don't mind it so much, I don't shift a whole lot.
    -shifter, meh, its a bit weird, i keep waiting for it to fail, but it hasn't

Overall:
    Wouldn't hesistate to buy it again. Definetley the best bike I've ever ridden. I'm not too worried about the weight and stuff, just gets me in better shape. I love this think. It feels so great, I can go super fast on steep techy descents, its long wheelbase has taught me to drift a bit better.

I've riden one off an on for two months. My friend has one, and we often have 'swich bikes days' to better adapt ourselves for universal riding skills.
    I agree with just about everything you said.
    yes the bike is a tank.. hard to break it
    it comes incredibly well part spec'd
    due to the ungodly long wheelbase it is incredibly stable,
    does seem to jump good for how heavy it is
    etc. etc.

As far as hub failing, I never stated that I have seen any instance of one fail (as i have worked on a serviced numerous it-1s) It seems that around these parts riders don't get to use all of the "WC Racing gear ratios" and therefore the actual gears themselves begin to wear down in one or two gears. I have needed to replace the nexxus hub two times in my friends it-1 as he rides the hell out of it. The catch is this wouldn't be an issue if he has owned to for more then a year which he hasn't. about 7 months or so.

The IT-1 is a great bike, don't get me wrong, I think they are great and innovative, pushing the cusp of usable technology in downhill bikes for sure! But as for being a dedicated race bike, it's too much. The hub alone for that bike weights in at twice the weight of an xo der, xo shifter, cassette and housing... On today's dedicated race bikes, people generally don't seem to want to add any unnecessary weight.

There are many odd and quirky parts on the IT-1 which can be a pain in the butt to get spares for, as GT stopped all production end of last year.
    -20mm rear through axle : awesome idea, super stiff, hard to get a new hub when it blows up (Ive replaced it on two IT-1s...)
    -Flange-less nexxus hub... needs to be custom ordered from shimano as GT doesn't have any more.
    -special cogs, for the offset primary drive : hard to get one when it cracks...

need I say more?

If the O.P. is looking for a race bike, I would attempt to dissuade them for this bike, due to the multitude of aforementioned points. If the O.P. is looking for a neat and exclusive bike that is fun no doubt, then the IT-1 may be the ticket.
    Hope this information helps

Professional Troll
    man i dont get how you guys break all this much stuff, i'm well over 200 with gear on. i gotta get out and ride more i guess :'(

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    pros: Suspension pedals pretty great

cons: the MOST INEFFICIENT bike out there, absolutely a beast to pedal.
    Care to elaborate on how the suspension pedals pretty great and is incredibly inefficient at the same time.

He also asked if it is a good RACE bike. Its a cool bike, but there are better race bikes out there

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    hey thanx guys so...
    should i save up to get a sick dh rig (and sell the gt-it1) or get the gt-it1 up to race spec thanx