Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any New Downhill bikes for around 3500$?

After my first full season riding lift access last summer I'm ready (and more importantly, have the funds) to step up to a big bike. I had a week long trip to Whistler and rode the new park at Stevens pass almost every weekend last year and look to ride Whistler at least a few more times and ride as much Downhill as possible this year.

My current AM bike is a Titus El Guapo V3 with a Fox Van 36, Stan's ZTR Flows on Hope Pro II Evo's, SLX/XT 1x9 drivetrain, and XT Stoppers which worked very well but I'm ready for more. I ride a medium frame usually, 5'10 200 pounds and ride fairly aggressively and as fast as my skills allow which are getting better and better.

I'm looking to spend around 3500$ or so on a complete build and haven't come across a whole lot yet since I could spend that on just a frame set. The Kona Operator, and Norco Aurum 3 both look pretty good with the nod going towards the Kona so far. I'm just looking for some other suggestions to check out and I'm looking to buy new unless I come across something used in unusually good shape. I'm not really too into the big brands like Trek, Spesh and Giant and would prefer a smaller company but I'm pretty open to suggestions.
    Last edited by snowpunk; 02-16-2013 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    To be honest, buying used is where it's at. But if you broaden your choice of bikes you can probably get a steller rig with that coin.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 02-16-2013 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    buy used, you'll get a far superior bike/components for that price

Quiet Professional

Re: Any New Downhill bikes for around 3500$?

Giant glory 2 is about 3200.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Giant glory 2 is about 3200.
    I 2nd this.. Glory is probably the best bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Specialized Status.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    seriously, neither the Status or the Glory 2 will give you a ride as good as this :

Pivot Phoenix 2012 Size M almost new! - Pinkbike

and thats only the first bike that popped on a long list of hundreds of bikes on there...

Quiet Professional

Re: Any New Downhill bikes for around 3500$?

Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq View Post
    seriously, neither the Status or the Glory 2 will give you a ride as good as this :

and thats only the first bike that popped on a long list of hundreds of bikes on there...
    Why do you say that? The glory is an amazing bike. I know its more than the bike, but both worlds and red bull rampage was won on glorys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    For 3500, you can get almost any year old DH bike with a far superior build compared to anything that you would be able to buy new for the same amount of cash.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    For 3500, you can get almost any year old DH bike with a far superior build compared to anything that you would be able to buy new for the same amount of cash.
    You also could be buying a bike that has been abused. If you buy used try to keep it local so you can at least see what you are getting before you hand over your hard earned cash.

RideDirt
    i would buy slightly used with that price range , man you would get such a nice build with that price .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    You also could be buying a bike that has been abused. If you buy used try to keep it local so you can at least see what you are getting before you hand over your hard earned cash.
    That's the problem. I live in Seattle so I'm a pretty short trip to Whistler and a lot of the bikes "may" be pretty beat up. The only bike I've bought used was a few year old Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 that was great but definitely ridden hard and when I took it in last winter to get the bearings and suspension serviced a crack in the rear swingarm was noticed which could have been pre existing or from me, not too sure. I'm not opposed to buying used at all and know much more what to look for than a year and a half ago but like the idea of new and no pre existing problems. Ideally a 2012 model with a decent discount would be great. Just really don't want to spend 3 to 4 grand on a two year old build that might have a fork and shock and bearings that need servicing and a possible shot rear hub. I totally expect to replace and upgrade components as needed and wanted so I'm really looking for a solid Frame and shock above all else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq View Post

I was looking for quite some time on their earlier today and something like that is much more temping than most anything else I had seen on there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    have a look round to see if there are any 2012 models going cheap... i was offerd a nice deal on a transition tr250 in september last year when i was in whistler. brand new medium full bike, and it was well within your price range.

another thing to consider, what about these direct sales manufacturers thats all the rage here in europe at the mo. ghost,,,, yt industries,,, rose..... ns bikes , these are all doin top spec bikes at ridiculous prices. not to sure if they ship to the states though.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    invest a little time looking and you should be able to find a clean high-end 2012 rig in that price range. check your PM

Huffy Rider
    That Pivot Phx is killer, or one of these:

2012 Canfield Jedi, med - Pinkbike Canfield Jedi $3500

Canfield F1 Jedi 2011+ size medium *Avalanche Shock* - Pinkbike Canfield Jedi $3850

You can pick up just the frame for about $1500 and build it up yourself. So many nice high end bikes to be had with that kind of money! Have fun shopping!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just another redneck with a bike

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Why do you say that? The glory is an amazing bike. I know its more than the bike, but both worlds and red bull rampage was won on glorys.

Coming from someone who rides a Glory, the Phoenix is much smoother with the DW-link, and the pedaling ability can't even be compared.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Specialized Status 2....great bike
    '12 Spech Demos should be in that range if you can find one
    Ventana El Cuervo, I believe USA made
    Ventana El Cuervo Complete with Custom Go-Ride Build, Medium Black - Go-Ride.com Bicycle Shop, Salt Lake City, Utah.
    RM Flatline Demo $2400
    Rocky Mountain Flatline WC 17" Medium 2011 Downhill Demo Bike | eBay
    RM Flatline WC Demo
    Rocky Mountain Flatline Worldcup 2012 Demo Used | eBay

mtbr member
    Are you close to The Path Bike Shop in Cali? This looks like a great deal.

2012 Kona Supreme Operator* silver. MSRP: $6399. DISCOUNT PRICE $2900

mtbr member
    Selling a team riders 2012 Zerode g1 the dorado is brand new....

2012 Zerode G-1 Complete - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far everyone. I'm getting some great ideas!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I agree with the "used" idea. The ratio of riders who truly thrash their rigs is pretty small; most don't ride anywhere near the limits of today's bikes (myself included).

That said, with your stated budget and really wanting to buy new, I'd march to my nearest Specialized dealer and buy a Status. Otherwise, I've got a kick-arse Morewood Izimu 2011 with mostly new parts I'd sell you far below your budget ;-)

a dad
    Jan 2004
    used is a crapshoot, I have mostly made out well, I have also bought a money pit..

With 3500 you should be able to get a Demo 1 new..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast