mtbr member

Any flat user's with Plantar Fascitis?

I've had plantar Fascitis for 7 years maybe. The doctor had special footbeds made for my feet and I've been good ever since. Except one day that I didn't wear the footbeds in a new pair of boots, it came back in a couple hours.

I tried platforms with skate shoes, but within 2-3 hours the bottom of my foot (the arch) was killing me.

I'm not in the market to spend $250 for a couple hours and find out I wasted my time and money. Anyone else have this problem but ok with flats?
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My riding buddy has PF in a bad way. Spends a fortune on high end shoes and built inserts just for his regular work shoes.

For biking, he could not ride with flats, no matter the shoe. So, he uses quick release clips and is fine. The hard soles of his regular clip in shoe protects keeps his PF from flaring up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pedal type didn't make a difference for me as far as foot pain and PF but flat pedals sure cut down on crashes and knee pain. I do wear SuperFeet stiff insoles that replace my Five Ten shoe original insoles.

I don't know how or why trying this would cost $250 for a couple of hours. Race Face Chester pedals are $50 and superb.

Look up the People's Pharmacy recent podcast on feet. I discovered one tip by accident - wear slippers or don't be barefoot too often. It's a very good episode regardless.

I'm not saying flats are the answer as much as they didn't have any effect on my plantar fascitis (spelling??) problem but sure solved others same time they helped my riding skills.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I've talked to someone at the local DH park that had foot issues and giant feet, he had these gigantic flat pedals he said made it way better, http://pedalinginnovations.com/ I've never used them but might be worth trying. I tend to notice my arches on extended downhills if my 5.10's are wearing out, that's when it's time to get a new pair.

mtbr member
    I have PF myself from military service. It doesnt stop me from wearing my Shimano MT34 shoes and using flat pedals. My feet hurt a lot from using the combination but I don't care. I will do some stretches before and after my ride (without shoes on) and it helps me quite a bit.
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 650b Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Try KT Tape. It really helped with mine.