Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Pedals are a much bigger target for rock strikes than crank arms, and I don't think the crank arms would have to be longer than they are now to incorporate a bearing instead of pedal threads. Thinner pedals obviously have more clearance over rocks... I noticed a huge difference going to 17mm Wahwahs, and now I have 12mm Spank Spikes and the extra 2.5mm clearance is very noticeable. The flypapers at under 4mm would be a huge improvement over any current pedal choices.

I agree the modified cranks weren't ideal and are a big issue, but if a major company picked up the idea we'd have similar crank choices than what we do now. I also don't think the idea isn't plausible because of engineering issues, it would just be a major change in standards which is the real issue. I'm surprised nobody has bought the idea yet...
    Thinner pedals do have more clearance over rocks, but the crank arm doesn't get shorter and will have to be large enough to incorporate a bearing. The crank arm will extend lower than the pedal body, unless the pedal body is larger than the bearing used to support it. I can draw a picture if you need help with this...

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by illnotsick View Post
    Thinner pedals do have more clearance over rocks, but the crank arm doesn't get shorter and will have to be large enough to incorporate a bearing. The crank arm will extend lower than the pedal body, unless the pedal body is larger than the bearing used to support it. I can draw a picture if you need help with this...
    I completely understand, but I don't think cranks would extend further down then they currently are, and the advantage of the thin pedal would still be a huge improvement. Go ahead and draw a pic tho, should be good...

SamIAm
    mr flypaper. were you close to selling your idea to a large company that could produce the cranks/bb to go with it or was nobody really interested?

i do think that the next big innovation in pedals will be a new standard than allows the bearing/works to be "inside" the crank. and obviously people are going to complain for awhile. it just would be nice to see the design be standardized so that more than 1 company can make some BA thin pedals without having to pay out the arss for licensing.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I completely understand, but I don't think cranks would extend further down then they currently are, and the advantage of the thin pedal would still be a huge improvement. Go ahead and draw a pic tho, should be good...
    Why can't the flypaper pedal be incorporated into a normal crankset? My understanding is it's because there isn't enough room to house the bearing in a standard size crank arm. Or was he just going to build his own cranks for shits and giggles?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Tioga MT-ZERO-Pedal-Tested

Hi Folks,

This is the most comprehensive review of this pedal I've seen. While the benefits of the thin pedal innovation are confirmed this execution has some major issues:

Tioga MT-ZERO Pedal - Tested - Pinkbike

I can only hope that Dean, of Fly Paper pedal fame, can save us by developing a thin pedal that doesn't require a special crank set.

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

GAME ON!
    more like fly paper pedal infamy
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4