mtbr member
    Dec 2004

another dumb pedal question on bearings quality. trailking/wah wah/ premium slim

So I have it narrowed down to a few pedals.
    Atomlab trail king - more expensive, 3 pins on back 2 up front, but only 1 on the side.
    Premium slim - 2 pins front and back and a pin left and right. - look awesome in general
    Kona Wah Wah - pins all over the place, look best for traction.

All these pedals are just pedals, and I don't want other suggestions, The pedals I know are pretty damn close to one another and maybe made in the same factor or close. But, is there any quality differences between these? Or should I just go with whatever one?

So, is there any actual differences in bearing quality or overall quality that makes one of these pedals better than another?

The last set of pedals I've had have lasted for a long ass time, so I expect to keep these for a long time - they dont hit rocks or get beat on that often.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I have had the Atomlab Trail King Pedals for a couple of years now, and had only one complaint.

The outer cap is a bit smashed and hard to remove without vice grips. Other then that, I don't think I would go with a peddle that uses simple pins. The tool side of the pins is protected so it avoids damage, unlike my wife's smashed sunline pedals.

As a comparison, the Deity Decoy pedals are very similar, but they decided to recess the outer cap, and not protect the tooling side of the pins. Do with that what you will.

I run 661 Filters (non-spd) and trail kings, and have never slipped a pedal. Much like the complaints you hear from 5.10 owners, they can almost be too grippy.

Looking at the Atom Lab site, they are no longer offering them, or changed the name. Anyone know why?
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Its got what plants crave
    I really like my Wah-Wahs and 510s, but I've never tried the other options, sorry.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

GAME ON!
    if the wah wahs are anything like the jacksh!t primos i had, they'd be at the bottom of my list. the ones i had developed play and were crunchy within a few months. LBS basically said yeah, that happens with those and nothing can be done. i am pretty sure the internals are the same, it's just the body that differs.

bike-zilla
    I just got a set of wellgo B065's, they are nice and thin and ~400g. Best part is the pin design, no more having to remove mangled pins with pliers. The new wellgo's use a mix of small hex head (ie not allen style, but bolt) and some that are phillips headed and screw in from the bottom.
    Haven't ridden them enough to comment on durability, but if they are anything like the B54's I have they'll be fine.
    Hard to beat for 40 bucks

GAME ON!
    he's not looking for other opinions. i don't understand why, but so be it. otherwise, i'd recommend wellgo mg1s

bike-zilla

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    I don't think I would go with a peddle that uses simple pins. The tool side of the pins is protected so it avoids damage, unlike my wife's smashed sunline pedals.

As a comparison, the Deity Decoy pedals are very similar, but they decided to recess the outer cap, and not protect the tooling side of the pins. Do with that what you will.
    FWIW I use a pair of pliers with locktite to put my set screws in backwards so when they shear off you can still put in an allen wrench to pull it out. The pins probably shear off a little easier because they're in backwards but I prefer this over unscrewing a bent pin back through the threads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    do you know if thats a reputable place or have experience ordering with them? thats a sweet deal

bike-zilla
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolisbad1
    do you know if thats a reputable place or have experience ordering with them? thats a sweet deal
    I did some research on them the other night, cause I too thought it seemed like too good to be true, they are a US distributor for atomlab and are just getting rid of their old inventory. I am picking up a hub from them in the next week or so( waiting on paycheck )

Pivotal figure
    I've had my Slim's for nearly 2 years and they've held up very well. I replaced the pins once and haven't done any other maintenance. These are the only platforms that have lasted more than a year with all the rocks I manage to smash them into.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Meh.
    I had several sets of JS for many years and they served me reliably.The WahWah uses double cartridge bearings and DU bushings. It uses the same rebuild kit as the current Jackshit. But it is far different than the old ones. It's the same/similar design as the Corsair, Deity, Premium, etc. Deity may have tweaked it a bit. I have not found any of those pedals to be unreliable.

MG1s... yeah... real durable. Bearings are okay. But the Mg body is ridiculously soft and will get marred up and the pins will rip chunks of material out.

The Deity does not have the pin come out the back of the pedal for 2 reasons. 1. It is lighter. 2. It is less likely to damage the threads if you try to remove a bent pin.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I had several sets of JS for many years and they served me reliably.The WahWah uses double cartridge bearings and DU bushings. It uses the same rebuild kit as the current Jackshit. But it is far different than the old ones. It's the same/similar design as the Corsair, Deity, Premium, etc. Deity may have tweaked it a bit. I have not found any of those pedals to be unreliable.

MG1s... yeah... real durable. Bearings are okay. But the Mg body is ridiculously soft and will get marred up and the pins will rip chunks of material out.

The Deity does not have the pin come out the back of the pedal for 2 reasons. 1. It is lighter. 2. It is less likely to damage the threads if you try to remove a bent pin.
    i bash my mg1s all the time. i have a set on 2 bikes and beyond scratches, there is no structural damage. and they're like $17.

mtbr member
    ive gone thru several sets of pedals. the DMR V8 are my personal fav, look into them. also like the easton flatboys
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    http://atomlabdeals.myshopify.com/pr...ailking-pedals any further information on these?/website

bike-zilla
    http://atomlabdeals.myshopify.com/pr...ailking-pedals any further information on these?/website
    I just ordered a rear hub and adaptor from the via paypal. The thread I found when researching their website is here atomlabdeals.myshopify.com

I will let you know when they arrive, but I am fairly confident in purchasing through them, especially with paypal. Shipping was reasonable too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ordered trailkings on Friday, should be here tomorrow. PP verified shipment, etc. Will post up when they get here.

For me, it was all about:
    1. thickness (15mm is about as thin as they come, I am aware of teh PointOnes and Crampons too...)
    2. price ($50 vs. $100 for Straitline, etc)
    3. pin design (as others mentioned, don't want stuck/stripped pins)
    4. weight (500g+...doesn't matter when they are 1/3 of the price of the lightweight ones).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I might have to jump on these trailkings, tell me how it goes. If I don't pick these up im going to get deitys

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I might have to jump on these trailkings, tell me how it goes. If I don't pick these up im going to get deitys
    Went well, check your PM.

Ancient Chinese Secret

Deity Decoy

I like my Decoys. They're thin and relatively bomber. I rode them for a season at Northstar and only lost a couple pins. Price was very reasonable at around $60.

They did self-destruct after about 2 months. On a regular trail ride the bearing on one side managed to undue itself and the pedal fell off. Deity fixed 'em promptly no problems and fixed the pins as well.