Thread: Ankle Brace?

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Ankle Brace?

I sprained my left ankle this Sunday, and now I can't walk right for this week at least.

I also saw one wearing those 661 ankle protectors before the ride. Now, does this thingy work?

Anyone using it or anything else?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    the 661's are more of a abrasion thing and offer no support to speak of. try the local drug store and look for somethin neopreme with multiple criss crossin velcro straps and/or laces. after a badly busted ankle, 1 of these served me well in strenuous activities till i returned to full strength and i still keep it in my gear bag for bad days.

hope yer back up to speed soon.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    i've never used the 661s
    i use these Swede-O Ankle Loks and love em
    they are super nice on bails when you land right on your ankles and barely feel it

i didn't use ankle braces until this...

I Broke My Ankle... from Jack Fogelquist on Vimeo.
    and now i won't ride without them
    [SIZE="4"]My videos...ҒĞĐФĢ Productions[/SIZE] http://jackthemaniac.pinkbike.com/ch...G-Productions/

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackf40
    i've never used the 661s
    i use these Swede-O Ankle Loks and love em
    they are super nice on bails when you land right on your ankles and barely feel it

m
    I like those ,....you don't have to buy from 661....you can get those from any sporting goods store....I always wear the ace cloth ones....and then up the ainte to those above when ankles hurting or rough trail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thread reminded my about an article on ridemonkey. reviewed a wrist brace from this company: http://www.allsportdynamics.com/

probably a little overboard for what your looking for heh

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I used one of the 661 ones after a really bad 3* sprain. When laced up tight, it does provide some lateral support while maintainnig a bit of mobility. I wore it for about 6 weeks after the sprain (both to help with swelling and for riding). I found that it did it's job, protected my ankle and helped me build confidence.

Pro Crastinator
    i use the McDavid ankle braces with the lace up then figure 8 straps and a top ankle strap...

Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-27-2009 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ^ i had one of those when i rolled an ankle pretty bad in football. It turned out that it helped riding until i healed too
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Hopefully you heal up quick. My ankle felt weak for 10 months last time I rolled it... I had to wear a brace for that entire time and my riding suffered a bit. I used the lace-up style like in the pics above...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    I've had a tumour removed from the bone in my foot and suffer still from the surgery. I use the 661 brace with laces. The support comes with plastic 'bones' that run from the knobbly bit of your ankle up the sides. There's also plastic 'cup' things that sit over the knobbly bits of your ankle.

I find when I tie it up tight I still have movement in an up-down fashion. I don't get any roll across the ankle (side-to-side). If your sprain doesn't hurt in an up-down movement, then I'd say the brace was ideal.

Heal quickly

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Hopefully you heal up quick. My ankle felt weak for 10 months last time I rolled it... I had to wear a brace for that entire time and my riding suffered a bit. I used the lace-up style like in the pics above...
    10 months? that must have been a very hard crash, man. Well I asked for a doctor's and a PT's advice and they said I was lucky it wasn't very bad. Just go for hot compress, elevate and lots of rest and it'll be as good as new.

Its just swollen and a little tight, the pain comes in when I put some twist and lateral movement, but up-and-down its fine. I am driving a manual shift and there's no trouble. I can walk progressively better by the day. Just no riding for this week, instead, a mountain trek this weekend for my master's degree class.

I'll just keep an eye out for those ankle braces when I get the chance to shop.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    10 months? that must have been a very hard crash, man.
    Long story short; I had just come back from a Whistler trip and felt like I could huck everything. Well there's this stump drop that I decided to jump off of and landed my back wheel on a rock 5 feet past the landing. I was a bit sideways and put all my weight on one side. It rolled my ankle on the pedal and that was it.

It was such a rough landing, I managed to bend my 2006 Rocky Switch frame as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Long story short; I had just come back from a Whistler trip and felt like I could huck everything. Well there's this stump drop that I decided to jump off of and landed my back wheel on a rock 5 feet past the landing. I was a bit sideways and put all my weight on one side. It rolled my ankle on the pedal and that was it.

It was such a rough landing, I managed to bend my 2006 Rocky Switch frame as well.
    Yipe, bent ankle, bent bike. Double whammy right there.

mtbr member
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

gkl
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i use the McDavid ankle braces with the lace up then figure 8 straps and a top ankle strap...

+1 for those...

i destroyed my ankle about two years ago and every couple of months it rolls over again for almost no reason (like walking around a corner without getting my heal off the ground while i make the turn).

i've been sporting these since then and they are killer.
    Skid marks belong in your pants, not the trail.

mtbr member
    I may be one of the only people here to actaully be stoked on the 661 brace... I've got the race ankle brace and I love it.

About 5 years ago I rolled my ankle very severely while rock climbing, so bad in fact that my tendon running down the outside of my right ankle is now pretty much permanently stretched. As a result that tendon likes to roll and pop along my ankle bone. It doesn't do it all that frequently now, but It usually happens when I'm pushing up a very steep part of trail or on a hike. That 661 brace has stopepd my ankle from popping on rides, and since it holds it in the right place it can heal back in whatever way it can after such a long time. But yeah, I dig the brace, I'm sure its a different strokes for different folks kind of thing, but give something a try for sure.