Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    37

    Air roco vs evolver isx-6(air)

    I just recently picked up an 03 yeti as-x with a 5th element coil shock. I want to upgrade to an air shock, either the isx-6 or a roco air - no dhx 5.0 air for me, I've read way too many bad reviews on it. I'd like to use an isx-6, as I have one on my kona dawg, and its absolutely amazing compared to the original fox rp2?, but the yeti uses a 1/2 shaft for its rear linkage, and would require some changing to work with the manitou's 12mm DU bushing size. So thats where the roco comes in.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience between these two shocks, with the roco either as a tst or wc, and if the performance is close. Vivid air is priced too high right now to consider, even used.

    Thanks

    Yeroon

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,934
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rizzle
    I just recently picked up an 03 yeti as-x with a 5th element coil shock. I want to upgrade to an air shock, either the isx-6 or a roco air - no dhx 5.0 air for me, I've read way too many bad reviews on it. I'd like to use an isx-6, as I have one on my kona dawg, and its absolutely amazing compared to the original fox rp2?, but the yeti uses a 1/2 shaft for its rear linkage, and would require some changing to work with the manitou's 12mm DU bushing size. So thats where the roco comes in.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience between these two shocks, with the roco either as a tst or wc, and if the performance is close. Vivid air is priced too high right now to consider, even used.

    Thanks

    Yeroon
    I used a Roco TST Air and it felt way overdampened.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I used a Roco TST Air and it felt way overdampened.
    Interesting. Could you share what bike it was on? Would changing to a lighter weight oil have made the shock acceptable?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,934
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rizzle
    Interesting. Could you share what bike it was on? Would changing to a lighter weight oil have made the shock acceptable?
    08' RFX 2.8 leverage ratio , I weigh 195lb. I played w/ the pressure / sag and even w/ a lot of sag it was a bit harsh. Don't know if a lighter oil would help that ported TST damper.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Atomik Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,278

    Roco Air is a PIA

    Mine just blew on my back up bike....does not get used very often. Check the price of their rebuild kits......$120, for what ?? A bunch of O rings ?? Not easy to get anything from Marzocchi either.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    37
    thanks guys, I think I'll figure out something for the isx-6. Seems like a little hassle with some bushings would be worth it...

  7. #7
    staike
    Reputation: staikeinthahood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    217
    If you want a Roco Air, go for the WC. I have it on my Ih 7point and it's amazing. COming from a DHX 3.0 it was like coming from an old volvo to a bugatti veyron. I have felt a TST R, and yes it feels overdamped. That is not the cause with the WC. I run the HSC all the way open and it feels really good. Really plush (for an air shock), nice and linear stroke. To get full travel without harsh bottom outs (I've never felt a bottom out on mine, even though the o-ring shows that it's bottomed out), fill the reservoir with 190 psi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •