mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Advice: 2009 Marzocchi 888 ATA WC

Good people,

I am considering the purchase of the 2009 Marzocchi 888 ATA WC fork for my 2004 big hit. Any thoughts if this fork would be a good fit for my bike. Have often read that adding aftermarket components such as forks are shocks could lead to one's bike performing poorly. But then tuning the fork and shock correctly comes to mind as well.

Primarily what I like about the ATA fork is its adjustability as I think that would compliment the Big Hit's 6" and 8" rear travel options quite nicely.

Well on paper its sounds interesting.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

( I spend more time riding North Van's shore trails than riding Whistler's bike park, if that is of any help or insight. )

- CF -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Fandango
    Good people,

I am considering the purchase of the 2009 Marzocchi 888 ATA WC fork for my 2004 big hit. Any thoughts if this fork would be a good fit for my bike. Have often read that adding aftermarket components such as forks are shocks could lead to one's bike performing poorly. But then tuning the fork and shock correctly comes to mind as well.

Primarily what I like about the ATA fork is its adjustability as I think that would compliment the Big Hit's 6" and 8" rear travel options quite nicely.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

( I spend more time riding North Van's shore trails than riding Whistler's bike park, if that is of any help or insight. )

- CF -
    What fork do you currently have on your bighit? What do you like/dislike about it?

My biggest concern would be reliability - Marzocchis stuff in 2008 was a cluster f@ck, 2009 was marginally better - 2010 is looking more promising......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Advice: 2009 Marzocchi 888 ATA WC Reply to Thread

I am currently running a 2007 Super T RV. The fork came with the Big Hit when I bought it second hand in 2007.

Not really knowing too much about DH/FR forks in terms of what makes a good fork compared to what makes an awesome fork, I am happy with the Super T's performance.

It handles as well as I could expect from a entry level double crown. But my fork expertise is not as worldly as others.

As mentioned, I am intrigued about the adjustable travel of the 888 ATA and whether there would be any benefit to running a fork that has that range of customization.

- CF -

biking is fun
    it should handle fine. it is a pretty sweet fork that is really tuneable. It is a very progressive fork so it feels really plush in the beggining of the stroke and ramps up nicely towards the end.

It would be a good upgrade to your current fork.

like said, avoid the 2008 ones because of reliability.

on a side note, i will have a 2009 ata wc for sale very shortly. The only reason im selling it is because i got a killer deal on a 2010 boxxer wc. it will be in like new condition when it comes back from marz (fluke problem) PM if interested.

mtbr member
    That SuperT wasnt a bad fork, but would tend to pack up a bit over repeated high speed hits (hint, think high speed braking bumps at whistler - I know not a priority).

nice thing is if you are happy with the bikes geometry now (not too slack or too steep) then switching to that 888 isnt going to effect things very much in that area. The 888 you are looking at will be a step up performance wise - more tuning options (this is not necessarily a good thing if you do not like to fiddle with settings) but overall once it is setup you will probably find it more plush, and more "rideable" at high speeds.

Again, my biggest concern is still the ???? regarding reliability on the last few years zocchi stuff.

I am currently running a 2007 Super T RV. The fork came with the Big Hit when I bought it second hand in 2007.

Not really knowing too much about DH/FR forks in terms of what makes a good fork compared to what makes an awesome fork, I am happy with the Super T's performance.

It handles as well as I could expect from a entry level double crown. But my fork expertise is not as worldly as others.

As mentioned, I am intrigued about the adjustable travel of the 888 ATA and whether there would be any benefit to running a fork that has that range of customization.

- CF -

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I had read that Marzocchi's 2008 year was besieged with a fair amount of technical issues which puts me up on the fence a bit regarding their product, somewhat.

I am something of a bike fiddler when it comes to tuning my ride. Whether it be the drive train, truing the wheels/rotors, so a more tunable fork sounds like the right thing for me.

Though I sometimes wonder if all the "fiddle diddle" in the world can really make a fork any smoother than a basic point and shoot unit. But then I wouldn't call myself an expert rider either.

- CF -

mtbr member
    I say get it! They are excellent forks having worked on and ridden my mates, but being an air fork, it will take acouple of solid hours before you get it set up. As stated, avoid 2008 forks. The ata cart is very simple to service when the time comes, search for my ata stuckdown fix thread in the suspension forum, it shows you how to service the cart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The 08 ata forks are fine. If you are a fiddler you will like the fork. It is easy to service and the fork rides awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a Bighit Expert and put on the 2008 888 ATA WC. It makes the head angle slacker alright. But it's absolutely great to ride. You won't be sorry if you don't have reliability issues. I'm very happy with the fork.

Go back to school

I like em

I have a pair of 2009 888 ATA's and they work very well. Especially if you know how to actually put a proper tune on them.

The quick version is that Marzocchi was recently bought by Tenneco and they moved their manufacturing to Taiwan. After they ironed out the QC issues in early 2009 the stuff was pretty good.

2010 is pretty much the pinnacle for Zoke though. They actually started producing competitive product that if regularly maintenance (very easy like always with marzocchi) provides a stiff, highly tunable, durable and decently weighted platform. Not to say that your 2009 888 ATA's wont be any if not all of those
    Die to ride, ride to die

C S
    mtbr member
    I was recently in a similar situation, trying to decide whether to get an 09 Marzocchi or save up for a '10. Short story, I posted a couple of threads and got no negative responses to the 09 forks despite random comments like "2009 was marginally better" so I bought one. So far, my 2009 888 RC3 is performing flawlessly

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Odd quirk about my newly purchased 2009 Marzocchi 888 WC ATA.

It holds pressure just fine but after I load the right fork’s bottom par with 180 psi and then the forks top with 165psi I get a measurement of 200mm but after I compress the fork stanchions a couple of times the fork measurement reads 190.5mm (7.5”)

What might I be overlooking or not addressing with the compression setup that prevents the fork to returning to 200mm after every compression cycle?

FYI: The left fork settings are set up to be into the middle (neutral) in regards to the air/volume on the fork’s top and compression on the forks bottom. (rotated/clicked to a halfway point in the allowable clicks)

(I weigh around 220lbs when wearing all my gear)

-CF-

mtbr member
    Good people,

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

- CF -
    Im a huge marzocchi fan but but to be honest I need to refer you to the thread about 888s at the Red Bull Rampage.

iBanGeDYoUrmOm,sOwHat?
    i read somewhere that Zocchi is offering free warranty coil conversions for any ATA fork.....I would look into that.
    my personal experience with the post '08 Zocchi air forks is that they leak/fail quite frequently....remember, I'm talking about forks made AFTER 2007.

i had a big hit too, back in the day, and i ran a 2008 66 RCV....never had issues with it. but every other Zocchi fork i've had after that was pretty much garbage.

my .02 would be to go with something has has a better track record....within the last 3+ years.

usually cranky
    dont get it if your gonna ride rampage.