Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

9T micro drive hub by Canfield Brothers

Canfield Brother's 9-Tooth Hub - Interbike 2011 Day 3 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

9 T micro drive hub by Canfield Brothers

Here it is everyone. The Canfield Brothers continue to innovate and introduce new products to help you go fast and make your bike better! This is the latest in their collection. The C2 9T micro-drive hub. With this hub you have the ability to run a cassette down to a 9 tooth. This hub is designed around a custom step-down free hub body allowing the fitment of a 10t and 9t cassette cog. The difference between the 11t and 9t is about 20%.

What does this mean? For XC riders you have the option of running a 1x set up with a 9-32/34 cassette. You can also run a 2x or 3x setup for the ultimate gear range. For DH riders, a 9-26 fit’s the bill nicely. With this cassette you are no longer required to run the typical 36-40 chain ring. Remember the 10t is 10% taller than an 11t. And the 9t is 10% taller than the 10t. There’s your 20% difference in gearing. This in combination with the new micro chain guide offerings, allow a chain ring of 28-32. You will gain BB clearance, have less chain and have the effect of longer crank arms when pedaling a smaller ring. I have to say the feeling is drastic.

I am very proud to say I have been riding this hub on my JedI for 2 + months now and its flawless. Riding, racing and lots of jumping. 32t up front with a MRP micro guide, and 9-26 on the back. The 9t feels like I’m pushing a 40t chain ring. Huge top end with a gain in clearance that just flat out works awesome. Makes my 165mm cranks feel longer. Now I want 160 or 155mm cranks. The engagement of this hub is audible and precise. It will be available in popular rear hub spacing configurations.

What do I think? I have not had to adjust it once since building up my wheel. NO BS. It exhibits little to no drag. I am completely sold on the benefits and see this as the MTB drive train future. The Canfield Brothers are always thinking ! Thank You Bros !

maker of trail
    The idea of 9t out back is pretty sweet due to the options it opens up.

You could run a 26t front, have the same high gearing, and good low gear for climbing all on a single front ring. Or I could have the same climbing gear (32-34), and a decent tall gear equivalent to a 40t up front.

Only concerns is longevity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff View Post
    Only concerns is longevity.
    +1 on this. And, how is the chain wrap on the 9T cog?

Edit: gollub01, can you post pics of the setup on your bike, especially w/ the mini-guide setup? I'm assuming this is on your Jedi?
    Last edited by Pau11y; 09-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    go fast bits are RAD!

Now with More Wood
    Yeah, if this holds up to real world abuse, then it's very cool (BMX micro drives work well, no?). If I can run a 32T upfront, with a 9-36 out back (the new 10-speed stuff opens up the 36t option as we know) then I can ditch the dual ring set-up for climbing, and still have enough range for DH. Truly innovative in my book.

What size rear mech do you need to deal with a 9-36 spread? Medium cage enough?

Hope do a custom 9-36 cassette for their hubs already (which integrates the freehub body and the cassette itself), and apparently Specialized on working on a 9t option as well...so it looks like this will indeed go mainstream. Very cool evolution!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    How loud is their freehub vs. a Shimano? I am glad to see a 9 offered finally for mtn bikes, about time!!!!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

screamer
    Wow, this is really exciting! Seems to have several advantages over Hope's version, including running a standard cassette for the lower ranges, being able to replace the smaller cogs without the whole freehub + pawl assembly. Freaking outstanding! The Canfield probably won't be available in anodized Limey Green, but I'll survive.

If it can convert to multiple axle standards, then I believe a Nobel Prize is warranted.

Want. Right now.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Wow, this is really exciting! Seems to have several advantages over Hope's version, including running a standard cassette for the lower ranges, being able to replace the smaller cogs without the whole freehub + pawl assembly. Freaking outstanding! The Canfield probably won't be available in anodized Limey Green, but I'll survive.

If it can convert to multiple axle standards, then I believe a Nobel Prize is warranted.

Want. Right now.
    Yah. Hope obviously sell enough hubs that they feel comfortable creating this option just for "their" riders (people already on their hubs). Canfield are taking another approach, a bit more open (as you point out, the ability to dissociate some of the components). I definitely prefer the Canfield approach here, even though I ride Hope hubs already...(although in reality it's not much different - you still have to buy a specific hub to be able to run these new cassettes...).

If the Canfield hub comes out in a 150mm/12 option, I'll be ready to make the switch...

Oh and Canfield - please please please make a green version...pretty please...

screamer

correction...

Looking again at the more recent photo of the Hope version from Eurobike, I realize I was wrong about the cassette and hub body being one integral piece. In earlier photos it looked as if it was all milled out of one chunk of aluminum (or aluminium if you're so inclined).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9T micro drive hub by Canfield Brothers-s780_hope6speed2.jpg  

9T micro drive hub by Canfield Brothers-s780_hope_6speed2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm not to worried about durability at this point. At 500 grams and lots of Cro-mo guts, this is not a disposable product. Ive had plenty of rough runs and landings to have 100% confidence in it. Lots of folks have ridden my bike with this setup. Everyone loves it.

Believe me when I say that I'm as excited as everyone else. I want everyone to experience this! Ive been using this on my Jedi,12mm x 150mm with a 2011 SRAM X7 rear short cage. You have to back off the limit screw but your good to go. Plenty of chain wrap. Here are some pics...

gollub01 Gallery photos from the Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    I'm not to worried about durability at this point. At 500 grams and lots of Cro-mo guts, this is not a disposable product. Ive had plenty of rough runs and landings to have 100% confidence in it. Lots of folks have ridden my bike with this setup. Everyone loves it.

Believe me when I say that I'm as excited as everyone else. I want everyone to experience this! Ive been using this on my Jedi,12mm x 150mm with a 2011 SRAM X7 rear short cage. You have to back off the limit screw but your good to go. Plenty of chain wrap. Here are some pics...

gollub01 Gallery photos from the Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery
    Thanx man! I really like the looks of how much more room there is under the bashy!
    I'm finding this new skool DH config w/ the low bb is causing me to bash my guard a bit more frequently than I like. If there was a piece of flint sandwiched in my bashy, it'd be like 4th of July coming down Trestle DH!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Will you be able to run 9-36 10speed on the canfield hub?
    I'm in favor. 1x setups with good enough range to climb up some steep stuff on a 30lb plus bike would be great.

mtbr member
    The new Prototype mini G2 from MRP that we are running on these is sweet-
    The bumper is 10mm higher than the stock chainguide- 30 grams lighter.
    Runs 28-32t rings.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Intriguing concept. I am already running 1x9, 30x12-36 on my Canfield Yelli Screamy. Never miss the front derailer, but 28x9-36 would be even better- more range on both ends!

So what are the hot current (or upcoming) crankset options that allow you to run a 28t ring with a decent chainline and q-factor?

Look at the time!
    downsides: it increases chain wear and causes slightly more friction / less efficiency when using the small cogs. Chain drivetrains really start losing efficiency quick once you go below 10 or 11t.

That being said, it wouldn't really be an issue for most if a chain or cassette lasts 20% shorter. At least in DH/FR applications, i think. Also i guess you won't be grinding up any hills in the 9t gear.

Makes my 165mm cranks feel longer. Now I want 160 or 155mm cranks.
    If the gear ration is the same, then the crank feels the same, no matter if its 36:12 or 30:10 or 27:9t.
    All the same gear ratio, so stick with your 165mm. Your cranks look longer because the chainring is smaller, but the pedalling forces do not change.

Speaking of cranks, a 32t ring is as small as you can install on a 104BCD crank*. Is it time to bring back the old 94mm 5-arm BCD?

(*actually I think someone makes a 30t, but that only works because it has half-integrated chainring bolts. Other than that, 32t is the minimum)
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    "Home Brew" makes nice custom rings. Take a look at the new SRAm X0 cranks. They have a key way, to lock on the ring. NO BOLTS. For DH I am total sold on the 32t on my Jedi.

MRP's 28-32 Prototype chainring and micro guide - Interbike 2011 Day 3 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

If anyone is ever in Jackson Hole and wants to give it a try let me know !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    downsides: it increases chain wear and causes slightly more friction / less efficiency when using the small cogs. Chain drivetrains really start losing efficiency quick once you go below 10 or 11t.

That being said, it wouldn't really be an issue for most if a chain or cassette lasts 20% shorter. At least in DH/FR applications, i think. Also i guess you won't be grinding up any hills in the 9t gear.
    My thoughts were the number of teeth engaging the chain and the wear on that dinky cog and chain stretch. Also, what's the noise situation as it's amplified reverbing thru the frame? And, not so much on the Jedi because of the idler, but if used on other frames, how would the chain/chain stay interact.

But since I run a Jedi and I can use a tiny bashy to get some moar bb clearance, I don't care anymore

Any projected prices yet?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have not noticed any increased chain wear. I'm using a KMC SL-x9 chain. Hollow pins, hollow links. You are certainly not in the 9t all day. I like to think of my 9t as my finish line gear or get me home gear. Its there when you need it.

Overall the complete package works as designed. Im excited to run it in Whistler next week.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    So what are the hot current (or upcoming) crankset options that allow you to run a 28t ring with a decent chainline and q-factor?
    No idea what the chainline is like, but I'm intrigued by the simplicity of a Homebrewed spiderless chainring on a X0 or X9 crankset. Allows for 28T. Probably puts it where the big ring would sit on a 2x10. Hopefully that would be compatible with most chainguides?

pic from meltingfeather:

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Intriguing concept... but 28x9-36 would be even better- more range on both ends!
    Oh hell yeah, this would be a sweet setup for our area where big rings are just a way to keep the ER in business!!! I ditched FD a year ago, but wouldn't mind easier gearing for the big climbs where 32x34 hurts a wee bit.

Another benefit would be a sandwich plate setup would work on more frames so no more crappy dual-ring chainguides - of which there's not a single reliable/durable one on the market.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    very cool ideas from both canfield and hope. thank god for the small company's with a passion to come up with ideas like these

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

currently 9-26 9 speed. Soon 10 speed.

Glad to Be Alive
    holly toledo....that is awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Looking again at the more recent photo of the Hope version from Eurobike, I realize I was wrong about the cassette and hub body being one integral piece. In earlier photos it looked as if it was all milled out of one chunk of aluminum (or aluminium if you're so inclined).
    There IS a version milled out of one chunk, apparently. The full 9-36 cassette:

The 6-speed DH proto you are referring to has riveted sprockets instead...

Probably lots more development until either of these hit the shelves, we're bound to see more versions.

What will be especially interesting will be to see if they come up with some kind of way to actually standardize for 9-speed cogs. A new standard freehub/attachment mechanism, in other words.

Either way I can't wait. I want my 9-36/30T NOW!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    I'm not to worried about durability at this point. At 500 grams and lots of Cro-mo guts, this is not a disposable product.
    Am i the only one who thinks this is a bit heavy? I am definitely interested though. With BB heights getting a lot lower it would be nice to have more clearance.

When will these be available on the Canfield wheelsets?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast