Thread: 909 fro tires

mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. 909 fro tires

i'm going to buy a couple tires for dh/fr, and looking at http://www.intensetires.com/909_fro_lite.htm or http://www.intensetires.com/909_fro.htm. both are the same 909 fro, but lite one has parameters 26X2.50 - 1995 Grams. take into account, that normal 909 fro has parameters 26X2.50 - 1540 Grams.
    so, i'd like to ask, it is a mistake there or a special idea that i didnt get? if it is a mistake, what is a real weight of lite tire, if anybody knows?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just went out and weighed a few tires.

-pretty worn 2-ply FRO lite 2.5 909----- 1290g
    -pretty worn 2-ply FRO lite 2.35 909----1100g
    -brand new 2-ply FRO lite 2.2 Spike----1190g
    -brand new Ex-lite(not so lite) 2.5 DH---1290g
    -IIRC, new Intruder FRO 2.35 4-ply---- ~1500g
    -IIRC, new Intruder FRO 2.5 4-ply-------~1700g

mtbr member
    May 2004

EastBaySteez
    They are heavy as sh!t.
    much better tires out there for the money. IMHO
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    a 2.5 Minion has a claimed weight of 1330g, how exactly are they "heavy as sh!t"? For refrence, my worn Michelin 2.2 DH24 weighed in at 1190g.

But, I'd be intrested in 2-ply DH tires that make these look heavy? Care to provide more info?

EastBaySteez
    909 FRO 2.5 was easily the heaviest tire I have ever owned.
    That damn tire ripped 4 valve stems off various Dh tubes.

Two 2.5 wtb timberwolfs and regular tubes weighed as much as one 909 FRO on my scale. (+10 grams)
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    yes it is a VERY heavy tire, but for me (my bike is pushing 50lb so i dont care about weight) it is worth it. it grips hard in everything and rolls fast on the hardpack and cement. plus its so stiff you dont even need to have tubes if you run it in the front haha.
    if you care at all about weight id look elsewhere, but if not its a great tire IMLO.
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    heavy as **** and 4 ply. PITA to get on any rim. kill tubes bc they slide on the time. unless you building a boat anchor, i will never run them again
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    heavy as **** and 4 ply. PITA to get on any rim. kill tubes bc they slide on the time. unless you building a boat anchor, i will never run them again
    haha looks like ive got a boat anchor.
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    oh guys, it seems to me, you dont take into account how to use this tires. i'm 132 lbs girl, and my bike weights 37 lbs now, and i do care about light weight. for my regular riding i use Continental Diesel and Gravity tires, nice and lite ones. but i'm going to real maintains soon where will be a lot of loose stones.. so i dont wont to fix punctures few times on the trail, and i want my tires to hold me well on difficult turns and landing from drops. i used to wear Nokian Norshshore tire and it was perfect. it weighs 1300 gr, btw. now i need softer rubber.
    so i think, i'll take Intense FRO 26x2,5 (1540 gr) to the rear wheel and Intense FRO lite 26x2,7 (should be also about 1500 gr) to the front. make sense?
    thanks Rover Nick, you seems to be a lucky one who has so many tires in the closet ))

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sorry for posting many times, troubles with browser or server ((
    Last edited by matata; 03-04-2008 at 05:43 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Last edited by matata; 03-04-2008 at 05:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    The FRO 909 "Lite" is a 2-ply Folding Bead tire, as opposed to the Fro 909, which is a 4-Ply Wire Bead tire.

Perhaps "Lite" doesn't refer to weight, but rather # of plys and the bead style.

For what it's worth I'm running a set of the 2.5 909 FROs set up ghetto tubeless and they may be the best tires I've run. Yes, they are heavy as hell. Yes, they were a pain to get onto the rim. But for what I ride the tread pattern really works well, and aside from putting a little air in them every 3-4 months they have been ZERO maintenance. With me at 230 lbs I think the tire might be stiff enough to stay on the rim with 0 psi in it Needless to say, rocks and square hits are of little concern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running on 2.35 FRO lite and my weight is 150. I used to run 2.5 FROs and 2.5 EX tyres, but thanks to narrow rims and FRO lites i'm more or less ALLWAYS running 2.35 tyres. Only mix is do I use DH 2.35, 909 2.35 or Intruder 2.35's? Depends mostly on track (& weather)!

As such a lite girl go for a 2.35 LITE! Or very ruogh terrain FROs!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am 200+ lbs. I have run all of the 4ply Intense tires, tubeless w/Stan’s, on Mavic 823’s for years and they have proved to be bombproof and without a single flat. Recently I tried the 2.35 FRO LITE (Stan’s tubeless) and had the rear tire blow clean off the rim on a small road gap landing. Granted I came down hard on the rear but I was traveling in a straight line. Before that happened I really liked the ‘Lite’ FRO tires.

At 132lbs, the FRO 'Lite' tires would probably work great for you.

mtbr member
    The 909 FRO lites 2.5 weigh around 1400gm each. They are heavier than standard Maxxis Minion DH 2.5 tires which are around 1330gm each.

I've got a used set (used for around 4-5 days of riding) of the 909 Fro Lites I'll let anyone have really cheap ($25+ shipping). They just flatted too much for me. I went back to Maxxis.

Jersey Hucker
    As long as you can get the tire on without pinching the tube, then these tires are good, they hook up well and I can't say I've flatted on them. As pretty much everyone said they are heavy as **** and can really suck your energy when you're climbing. If you want a pretty much bulletproof tire get the 909s btw I have the wire bead ones, 2.5 up front and 2.35 in back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks guys for your comments.
    i'm going to ride in these conditions on the photos.. but unlikely i'll take a part in the race, i'd like just to feel stable on the landing and in turns doing FR.. so i consider 2,5 instead of 2,35.. do u think 2,7 is too much there?

and i'm not going to climb ))

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wtf, it takes hours to load the post, and it is twice again. webmaster, add the ability to delete extra messages at least.. (
    Last edited by matata; 03-05-2008 at 05:10 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wtf, it takes hours to load the post, and it is twice again. webmaster, add the ability to delete extra messages at least.. (
    Last edited by matata; 03-05-2008 at 05:05 AM.

Jersey Hucker
    I think you should run a 2.7 in the front and a 2.5 out back, should be enough volume and since you're not racing the rolling resistance does not matter as much, the terrain looks pretty gnarly so these tires should do great.