Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moose Member

888 - super monster, anything in between?

So marz makes the 888 and made the super monster t, thats an 8" travel fork, and a 12" travel fork. Have they ever made anything in between? If they made a nice 9" or 10" travel fork i think i may catch on very nicely, with bikes like the v - 10 and m9...

Just saying because they skipped 4 inches of travel with these forks. i know this isnt an accurate comparison, but its almost like having 4" travel forks and 8" travel forks, but nothing in between. Anyone know if Marz or rock shox or anyone has anything like this or is planning anything like this?

what are your thoughts on 9-10" travel forks?

(besides ones like risse champs and stuff )

Glad to Be Alive
    HONESTLY THE SUPER MONSTER WAS more a speciality fork for huge hicks.......8 inches is more then enough on the m9

Underskilled
    Avalanche
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Slap happy crappiness
    At first I was like , then I was like and now I'm like
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Airborne Flight Crew
    don't remember where I read/heard, but wasn't the super monster originally intended for an mx bike?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    i believe marzocchi made an OEM 888 that was 9inch travel, got to be a few of those floating about some where.....
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    i believe marzocchi made an OEM 888 that was 9inch travel, got to be a few of those floating about some where.....

You sure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst

You sure?
    YES actually, will attempt to find out the info on it, but it was made.
    ]

mtbr member
    http://norco.com/archives/2009/?id=48a31c94f3e4f
    read description and WEEP!

don't be so quick to judge.
    ]

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah maybe, but any decently damped 8" fork would spank a 9" RCV-damped fork. Kinda like how hanebrink made 10" travel forks, but it doesn't matter when your damper is piss poor.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah maybe, but any decently damped 8" fork would spank a 9" RCV-damped fork. Kinda like how hanebrink made 10" travel forks, but it doesn't matter when your damper is piss poor.
    i know, but the point im making is there is a mazocchi with more then 8inches of travel but less then 12, exactly what the OP was after.

and being an 09 marz, i wouldn't trust it.
    ]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Avalanche "Mountain 10"
    my buddy has a couple of them..
    NOT cheap..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

You sure?
    that made me lol

mtbr member
    if I'm not mistaken the Super Monster could be reduced to 10"
    I remember seeing a guy with an Azonic Gravity, and he said he reduced the Super Monster to match the 10" of rear travel.

Even if it's true...it would have no place on a V-10.

usually cranky

You sure?
    epic

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    if I'm not mistaken the Super Monster could be reduced to 10"
    I remember seeing a guy with an Azonic Gravity, and he said he reduced the Super Monster to match the 10" of rear travel.

Even if it's true...it would have no place on a V-10.
    Yeah, I agree that it's answering the question, but the OP sounds like he's thinking that 9" may be better, handle crazier terrain, be better suited for "big hit"riding, and I'd just want to remind him that a decent 8" fork is way better than a 9" one, then there are some even higher end 8"ers like a marz/rs w/the new avalanche cart, and it's not even close @ that point. If someone really wants a 10" fork, avalanche will probably still build you one, but if you can't afford or 10" is overkill, then get a good 8". Quality over quantity when we are talking within 3" imo.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There is a reason no one uses more then 8 inch forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thats a typo. There should have been another line for the comments about the 888, Zoom in the on the shock link and you will see the second shock mount hole.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Sorry to tell you that is the shock that is 8 - 9 inch travel if you look at the Specs and Geo tab you will see that the fork is only 8 inch.

Moose Member
    i was just curios, i would never need a 9" travel fork... just thought it was funny marz skipped 4" or travel... Btw everyone makes it seem like a 9" travel fork would have to be poorly dampened. What if there was magically and extra inch of travel on your fox 40? it still dampened and acted the same way as normal, but you had one extra inch of travel... would you take it?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    i was just curios, i would never need a 9" travel fork... just thought it was funny marz skipped 4" or travel... Btw everyone makes it seem like a 9" travel fork would have to be poorly dampened. What if there was magically and extra inch of travel on your fox 40? it still dampened and acted the same way as normal, but you had one extra inch of travel... would you take it?
    No, we're saying that RCV damping sucks (what was in that advert) and that some of the previous 8+" forks have sucked because the damping sucked. The chassi also gets a lot heavier to maintain stiffness and strength. You can get a "GOOD" one if you get the 10" avalanche Mtn 10 shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edzwa
    Sorry to tell you that is the shock that is 8 - 9 inch travel if you look at the Specs and Geo tab you will see that the fork is only 8 inch.
    nop, the fork is 203-228mm the frame is 199-227mm. (says in description.)
    ]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    nop, the fork is 203-228mm the frame is 199-227mm. (says in description.)

I hope that was sarcasm and you don't really believe that.

mtbr member
    Serious mode:

With front ends getting ridiculously low compared to what they were just a few years ago, do you think that we could get away with running 9" forks?

Let's avoid, "we don't need any thing more than 8", we don't need 13" BB's and 63 degree head angles either.

Some random dude on the internet told me you can make inverted forks lower than regular ones. I'd be curious to see what the difference would be if I compared a (theoretical) 9" Dorado on say a 2011 Demo with a Zero stack headset and a low stem to a 888 on the same bike with a standard headset and sane stem.

Thoughts?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by edzwa
    I hope that was sarcasm and you don't really believe that.
    It wasn't. Bxxer has this thing about forks and millimeters. It can't be cured. A lot of people tried.

Moose and Bxxer discussing suspension travel - this was always going to be an epic thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast