mtbr member
    Jan 2008

888 RC3 WC- 08 model

Im getting one, i havent had a Marz since i had a airspring Z1 bomber back in the 90s..

Now i know this is sposed to be the problem years of Marz, this is a virtually unused fork.

So what pitfalls are there, to fix right off the bat, or things i should take care in checking for when i get it ?

The seller hasnt fiddled much with the adjusters and im told thats the main issues.

I am a habitual fiddler on my forks tho, i try to set them up, but tbh, i draw a blank with the 888s ive never used one or worked on it before.

Everyone here runs Boxxers and the few who do use 888s are the 07 or older, so they are heavy but work flawless and only require a little service oilchanges once and again.

Any tips or advice on how to fix eventual problems would be greatly appreciated.

I do have access to any spare parts from Marz via a shop.

And no im not in the US, so getting it sendt to avalanche for their tune up job is not an option(wish they did DIY kits for it already )

mtbr member
    Only thing id look for is bushing slop in the lowers, if you notice a large amount of bushing slop, send it to your distro or service centre to have the lowers replaced with 2010 lowers

Other than that, you should be good to go

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    If you're a fan of getting forks repaired all the time, get an 08 and up marzocchi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    If you're a fan of getting forks repaired all the time, get an 08 and up marzocchi.

yeah thats very helpful

Nick: thanks for the tip.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Only thing id look for is bushing slop in the lowers, if you notice a large amount of bushing slop, send it to your distro or service centre to have the lowers replaced with 2010 lowers

i'll second this.
    i've been on my 2008 888 for nearly 3 seasons.. and just had my lowers replaced a coupla months ago with 2010s, due to the bushing slop.
    Other than that - SOLID!

Canfield Brothers
    I ran my 08 RC3 WC for two hard seasons, I prob had 100 days on that fork!!! Had the 08 lowers swapped out in 09 and never had an issue. I just changed the oil regularly and the fork felt great. I'm not as they say a "smooth" rider and mine was SOLID. It was just time for something new.

As Nick_MR2 said, just check for the slop issue and you should be good to go. Enjoy it!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    sounds great, i got these for less then 300 bucks so hey even if they dont work out its not the end of the world

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    sounds great, i got these for less then 300 bucks so hey even if they dont work out its not the end of the world
    Dean,
    If they don't work out and the stanchies are clean, part out and sell them to me! I'll also take your RC3 cart
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R

Mind explaining what's bushing slop? I've got a 08 Marz 66 RCV but the fork's stiff as hell. I cant get full travel. Even my buddy who weighs almost 2 times more than me of about 80kg(roughly 160-170lbs) can only use half of the travel. Any idea what's wrong with it?

mtbr member
    Bushing slop is when you feel / see the stanchions moving fore/aft instead of in a vertical range of motion - it is generally caused by tolerance issues between the bushings and the lowers.

As for the lack of travel - that really sounds like incorrect oil levels to me

Glad to Be Alive
    if you had a late year 2008 you might be in the clear....and many people have the fork and didn't have problems
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Many people had late 2009 and still have the problems of 2008. That's a myth spread by you because of your association with Zoke. Do you still have your link under Tenneco?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    well fact is, im going to try it, i got it dirt cheap, im going to be testing it for a 4 day weekend at some german DH tracks in a few weeks.

And ill let ya know how it pans out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Many people had late 2009 and still have the problems of 2008. That's a myth spread by you because of your association with Zoke. Do you still have your link under Tenneco?
    And i reckon the reason behind this is because while they improved some of the parts to correct issues, they still used old parts that had problems

To explain what i mean, ill use my 2 09 66's that had the annoying problem of creaking crowns, which is what caused me to send them back, yes they had a slight amount of bushing slop, but that was tolerable, and you didnt even notice when you where riding

The fork was made on the 23rd of Dec 08, had the updated lowers and had significantly less bushing slop than the 08 RCV's that where stock on my stinky. Now while it had the updated 09 parts and was made at the end of 08, around the time when Marz started to correct things, the crown assembly itself was plated as 07, meaning it probably part of defective batch made during the initial move to taiwan. Now for 2010, First reports show that Marz has gotten their act together, check the reports of peoples new 2010 888's, they all seem to love them. Marzocchi has taken a step in the right direction, going back to proper open bath titanium coil sprung forks, light, durable matched with an excellent damper, they are finally becoming a great option again. Team CRC now runs the 888 Ti on their WC team bikes, so it looks as if Marzocchi is making a return to the WC circuit

Now from your previous posts, i gather that your a Rockshox fan?
    Ive owned and worked on many, and they are great forks, my personal fav? The pike, light durable, all the adjustment you need and lasts forever

Now the problem with Rockshox forks? IMO they have flimsy internals. You think Marzocchi was bad? Well RS record is anything but clean.

1 - Older versions of the MiCo dampers, as well as MC, sometimes decided to spew all their oil everywhere
    2 - Many people have seals that leak like a harpooned whale
    3 - Many of the pre 09 lyriks had problems of bushing slop and creaking crown
    4 - Totems had the problem of leaking crowns
    5 - the domain steerer recall
    6 - leaking footnuts due to dud crush washers
    7 - 2 step system, yea we all remember how that worked out
    8 - Hydracoil damper, enough said
    9 - 2010 Boxxer problems of no internal lube from factory, grease or oil, as well as rebound assembly problems
    10 - The vivid isnt a shining beacon of reliability either

Rockshox always had problems, but the great thing about them (and the reason why noone *****ed to bad about them IMO) was they are piss easy to service, and getting parts for them is pretty easy.

Marz had such a **** storm because they had built themselves on reliability, and when that went, **** hit the fan

At least they are now making a come back