mtbr member

888 RC3 Evo2 coming

I have a new fork on the way (woot woot!) and have a quick question. The guy at the bike shop is talking about putting new oil in it that's lighter weight than factory since I'm not a large American. I weigh around 140-145 geared up, do you guys think I need a lighter oil or would the stock setup be fine? On my factory 66RCV I have no air and am backed out on my compression and most of the way on rebound. Part of me says just try it first but he's much more experienced and did the same with his 888 (older model) to get the feel right for him and he's a little bigger than me. Just looking for input before it arrives in a week or two.

Glad to Be Alive
    for your weight ...I would run 5 weight
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Do you know off hand what comes in the fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's not a bad idea to change the fork oil to a known viscosity and quantity before riding it anyway,otherwise you just have hearsay on what's in it. Stick with one brand of oil when tuning via different viscosity since different brands may have different characteristics.

mtbr member
    7.5 wt oil is standard. Fahn

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm guessing both legs should be changed to 5wt? It would be a good starting point if nothing else.

Proud lame eBiker
    I would ride it a few times first. Then dump the old oil and fill er up with the 5wt, both sides.

The reason I say to ride it first is to let some of the parts mesh together and wear just a touch. I always find the first time I change fork oil in a new fork the oil is very dirty. The second change, not so much. I think there's a bit of a break in for the internals. No reason to kill new oil that you have to pay for right away.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

staike
    The local distributor changed my oil to an oil with teflon additives, woah my fork is butter smooth now. I'm 140 lbs geared up and running the Medium spring. Mine is a 2010 EVO Ti btw. Running 2 clicks comp and 12 clicks rebound. 0 preload and 0 VA. Not getting full travel, but the fork feels pretty good. Waiting for a soft spring, should be in soon.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm guessing both legs should be changed to 5wt? It would be a good starting point if nothing else.
    one thing I didn't think about....

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL before riding it .....go ride it first and break in the fork ...then switch it down to 5 weight from 7.5 weight....yeah it will be a little harsh in the beginning but no use just throwing stuff away when you will need to change it right away anyways.....20 hours riding it then change down..you get rid of all the break in junk

Marzocchi Oil is synthetic Golden Spectro
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sounds good, thanks again guys.

Look at the time!
    Also, 5WT oil is not 5WT oil. Oil weight is not a consistent measurement and differs between manufacturers. 5WT oil from company A can be (way) thicker or thinner than 5WT oil from someone else. I've had 15WT oil that was thinner than 7.5WT from a different company.

So, if you want to go to 5WT, get synth. Golden Spectro. (Or find the 40C cSt values for the oil, which is a much more accurate unit of measurement.)
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

MyBikeStand.com
    You could always put this on it
    80HD crown for Marzocchi 888

mtbr member
    Forgive my ignorance but what do I need that for?

MyBikeStand.com
    Cause its rad. No just kidding. Just something new lets you lower your front end a bit if you want and provides options for those with older 888ís to run 4 bolts stems or the stock Zoke stem. Stiff too.

mtbr member
    Right on. I already have a stem waiting for the fork that'll mount directly to the crown (since new Zokes use standard direct mount stems). Not sure I'll need a lower front, we'll see but lower rise bars would probably be my first step if that is the case.

mtbr member
    No 2 exact model forks ever feel the same. Sad but true. Try the old oil first.
    The break in that people above refer to, is also a good reason to start riding the fork with the original oil.