Thread: 888 Rc2x Va

mtbr member

888 Rc2x Va

Hey, Im looking at two 888's (you might have seen the thread on the SL ATA). I have a question on the RC2X. The one thing I always worry about with coil forks is the spring weight (the firmness, not heavyness). I weigh 145-150 lbs. Will it be okay for DH racing? I read that the VA adjustement can compensate for switching springs to a certain extent but I dont know. Also, if anyone knows the weight of the 2007 RC2X off the top of their head, thatd be appreciated.
    Thanks
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I'm also 145-150 and the stock 888 springs deliver a perfect 25-30 percent sag with minimal preload.

mtbr member
    Is that with the RC2X? I have a 888VF right now, and the spring weight is fine, but I didn't know how much it varied from model to model.
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

My arm hurts a little
    145-150 ur light bro, it will be fine.

I own both, rc2x & ata and have equal ride time on both. U can't really go wrong with either imo. the ata is just lighter with more adj. but feels like an air fork. Not that its bad its just different.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    I had to change springs on mine but still it works great and I'm Below 140 (5 months of rehabilitation helps :/)

mtbr member
    whats the rider weight range for the stock springs. I dont want to have to buy new springs.
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

sixsixtysix
    The Marz stock springs are usually geared for a 170-200# rider. Soft is for anyone under 170#, firm is 200#+.

a tight kick sound
    now your talking...This is the fork I am thinking of riding next year!

Bum Buzzer
    Hmm, I'm ~250 and running dual heavies, thinking about trying 1 stock 1 Heavy.

ANybody heavy doing this? It rides a little bit high even with 0 compression clicks (sags ok) so Ima give her a go. Between LSC and PL/VOL I should be able to get it perfect!

mtbr member
    sixsixtysix, When you say the marz stock springs are for 170-200, is that just the rc2x, or all 888s? Because my 2005 888VF feels great firmness-wise, and Im 145lbs-150lbs.
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2007
    damn since im on this forum i just dont get it how much 200+ pounds rider are here lol ... but anyway im 175 and i run this fork with the stock spring ... lol if you are 140-145 pounds and you change for heavier spring that was the worst thing to do norbar .. you should have set your fork better and you will have found better performance .. if you use firmer spring in the 888, i understand why you want to change your fork lol ... btw it is a great fork i recommand it for a budget rider that wants to ride and stop wasting his time in shops ... ill go anyday a rc2x over a SL ATA 2007 thats for sure

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    sixsixtysix, When you say the marz stock springs are for 170-200, is that just the rc2x, or all 888s? Because my 2005 888VF feels great firmness-wise, and Im 145lbs-150lbs.
    As long as you're getting the proper sag out of it and you're able to use all the travel then you should be good too go. I think its just a generic specification they put on all the forks in the 888 line up. Alot of times the oil levels will be able to fine tune the fork better for your weight than the springs unless you are way over or under for the weight suggested for the springs.

I run dual heavy's in mine, but I am 6'3" 240# and it rides great.