Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Other Dude

888 RC2X or Fox 40 RC2 For my Demo 7

I just picked up a new Demo 7 I, and I have heard alot of bad things about the Totem Coil that comes on it, so i was planning to put either a Fox 40 RC2 or a Marzocchi 888 RC2X onto it. I was leaning toward the 40 because i can drop the travel on it to get about the same geometry as the totem probably, but what do you guys think? Is that really a big deal, or would the extra 20mm of travel on the RC2X not even be noticable?

What are the pros and cons of each? Does the weight make differnce? I dont want a front fork that i cant pick up off the ground, or one that will make the bike real nose heavy in the air. What do you guys think? I can get either fork for about the same price, so thats really not a concern right now.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

keystone addict
    A friend of mine has a demo 7 with an '05 888 with flat crowns. He also removed some spacer on the shock to give the rear end eight inches of travel. It feels perfect. I'd say do the 888 with flat crowns.
    [SIZE="4"]I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Why would you ditch a brand new fork just because you heard bad things about it? I personally have not heard many bad things about Totems.

To answer your question, 20mm extra travel will change your geo. A general rule of thumb is 20mm equals 1 degree slacker head angle. It will also raise you BB a measurable amount.

Shop *****
    I am almost positive that the RC2X won't make a diff. And the 40 is basically a pure-bred race fork.
    AND.
    If you are spending a freaking assload on a 40, why not get a 888RC2X VA, and get the best of both worlds!?
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

N* Bomber Crew
    First and foremost, what are these "Bad" things you hear about Totems? I've only heard good things about them.

Secondly, If you got the money I'd get a 888SL ATA over a Fox 40, you can adjust travel from 160-200mm so you can hit the sweet spot. Weighs 6.5 lbs, and is strong. Doppio has been proven reliable as well.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

The Other Dude
    I have head that the Totems have issues with the seals......it could be BS, but i was hoping to put a dual crown on the bike anyways. I can get a new 07 40 RC2 for $830, or a new 07 888 RC2X for $800. I already have a guy that is willing to buy the Totem Coil that came on the Demo 7 I for $550 (it is new), so it would be around $250 for swap, and i already have the new headset to reduce from the 1.5" steerer to the 1 1/8".

What do you mean by a pure-bred race fork.....does that mean it handles awesome, but considered disposable?

The whole DH/FR thing is sort of new to me, i did mostly XC stuff before this, but last weekend, i got a chance to do some freeriding/dh with lift service, and i freakin loved it on my Enduro SL.....but quickly realized i needed a bigger bike, hence the demo purchase. I come from an MX background and this stuff seems right up my alley, i just want the best bike for the job.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Shop *****
    Meaning.. They are supple and tend to bottom out easily. They are not meant for freeride... The Demo 7 is a freeride bike, if I remember correctly. The 40's BTW. I don't think you are really changing the rake if you limit the travel. I think that the 40's used travel spacers to limit the travel, so it didn't change anything really, just that it would bottom out quicker.
    The RC2X VA is where it's at. You can change travel by winding the work down.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    You're nuts. So lets say it has a seal prob. Well there goes 30minutes(conservatively speaking) resealing it. That bike was made to run a burly single crown, can you put a dual crown on, sure, but why. Just go buy a demo 8 if you want a dual crown. Suppose this prob is real, haven't it though, its not like a leaking seal is going to cause catastrophic failure.

The Other Dude
    I did want the Demo 8, the shop couldnt get one for a while, but the said the demo 8 has 8.2" of travel, and the 7 can have close to 8" of travel in the rear end with the spacer taken out. I guess i just want a DC fork up front, i am not worried about the breaking the fork by any means. But from what i am hearing, it sounds like the RC2X stands above both the Totem and the 40.

Bottlerockin'
    I'm sorry, you are absolutely retarded. I can't really guess what's going on up there in your brain, but, I can't figure out why you'd replace a Totem Coil.
    First off, the only one with issues was the 2-Step, which has since been fixed. Second, your replacing the highest quality single crown soley to go dual crown? Please explain further, if I have misinterpreted...

mtbr member
    This is the thread I remembered about the Totem. Also while at Whistler I noticed that 8 out of ten Totems had blown seals and oil all over the stantions. I'm not sure if this is the same fork that comes on the Demo 7,,, you'll need to check the model.
    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=98011

The Other Dude
    i guess i am retarded.....if replacing a single crown fork for a dual crown fork makes me retarded.

I guess everyone that bought a new dh fork, and didnt buy a totem is retarded.

thats not to steep is it?
    i say ride it until you get those problems you've heard of
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

yaha ha

you guys are fycking *****. dont call him retarded for claiming theirs problems with the totems. just do a search on this board or the susp board.

A demo 7 with a fox 40 at 7" travel would be a MUCH more nimble and snappier bike than the demo 8. as a matter o fact, one of the wrenches down at the shop has that exact set up and kills norba semi pro.

the 40 is plenty fork to handle some freeride, ..the 888SL ATA is an air fork if im not mistaken...

I race and ride my 40 and love it.

Thats defiantly my vote..

and to whoever said it.. what makes the d7 built for a burly SC.. is it the 1.5ht??... go look at a turner DHR...

Bottlerockin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    i guess i am retarded.....if replacing a single crown fork for a dual crown fork makes me retarded.

I guess everyone that bought a new dh fork, and didnt buy a totem is retarded.
    I just dont understand WHY your changing it...that's all...

yaha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    I'm sorry, you are absolutely retarded. I can't really guess what's going on up there in your brain, but, I can't figure out why you'd replace a Totem Coil.
    First off, the only one with issues was the 2-Step, which has since been fixed. Second, your replacing the highest quality single crown soley to go dual crown? Please explain further, if I have misinterpreted...
    youre fycking out of it homie. cool your jets

Cannondale17
    Apr 2006
    on the totem i rode wit a guy the other day wit one.... has had it rebuilt for loose bushings... and after like 3 runs they were really loose again i've heard of that happening with them too... but perhaps a unusual case... However my .02 love zocchi quality and realiabilty if you are going to up your rear travel to 8 inches then i would highly suggest one.... i have my 07 rc2x on the way to me as we speak

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    He is changing it because of personal prefrence. He just likes them better. You're just very confused on who the retard is on this board.
    I'll help you out
    His name starts with a C, and ends with an 8

Bike Ninja |||
    I changed MINE because it blew up 3x in a month and had bushing play on two sets of lowers that i got from sram. oh, and i've found them to be incredibly linear.

That's why I put a 888 on my Demo 7. That's WHY it feels at least 6x better then the totem.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Reason to dump it= it's new and will sell better now than if he rides it, it blows up, warrantees it, then sell it with scratches all over it for waaay less,,. makes perfect sense to me

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My Totems just went out on my Demo 7 for the third time. The rebound damping just stops working. It is starting to piss me off about the blowing up. I don't know what is happing to them, they work one minute and then i go to pick my bike up and it isn't working now.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

N* Bomber Crew
    Simma Down Nah!
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Hey let him sell the totem. They guy buying it is getting a great deal! If he can afford these hot dual crowns, that his choice. The INTERNAL TRAVEL ADJUST on the 40 is very big advantage. It does not make the fork bottom out earlier, it shortens the fork. The 888SL ATA is a good compromise but it has the same problems associated with the 66SL ATA. The problems can be fixed with a little patience though.

Can boxxer world cups be lowered like fox 40's?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fox 40s

only bottom out a lot if they are badly set up. Im 215lbs and never had a problem with mine. The internal travel adjust will not cause any problems just make sure the compression dampening is set up right.

the 36 year old grom
    my 40 is rad!!!! love it.

and $830 for a Fox40 is a sick deal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast