I can ride a two-wheeler

888 Progressive Springs?

Are there any manufactures that make a progressive spring set for the marzocchi 888?

I've got a 2005 888vf 170mm travel if that helps any.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    No there are not. Your fork does not have a very advanced damping system, but you should be able to adjust 'spring' progressivness very easily with differing oil levels. If you like the sag, and general action, but are bottoming too easy, just 5ml or so of oil to both legs...problem solved.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    No there are not. Your fork does not have a very advanced damping system, but you should be able to adjust 'spring' progressivness very easily with differing oil levels. If you like the sag, and general action, but are bottoming too easy, just 5ml or so of oil to both legs...problem solved.

coool

right on

ill do just that

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yea what davep said, but also check the oil level according to marzocchi's instructions, then raise oil to max recommended level for max progressiveness. prolly good time to change the oil anyways.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    yea, changed the oil not too long ago.....ill just raise oil level

I'm actually doing like a whole tune-up/lightening my bike service....should go for my first downhill ride in like a week on Wednesday.....should test out raised fluid levels then

Iron Pony
    how much oil is supposed to be in this particular fork? can't find any info on the manual. anyone have any visual instructions on where to add oil or even maybe the entire assembly of the fork? i would like to overhaul my fork.

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a service page for the 888 on Go-ride.com. It's the sixth article down from the top. For the 170 888 I'd start with an oil height 190mm from the top of the upper leg, as measure by the instruction in the Go-ride article.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Iron Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    Here's a link to a service page for the 888 on Go-ride.com. It's the sixth article down from the top. For the 170 888 I'd start with an oil height 190mm from the top of the upper leg, as measure by the instruction in the Go-ride article.
    where's that link at? can't seem to find it using the search on the site.

Glad to Be Alive
    you can also run different weight springs...I run a heavy and regular
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Iron Pony
    anyone know if it is safe to cut 200mm soft springs to fit into the 170mm 888vf? i cannot find 170mm springs anywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcornelia
    anyone know if it is safe to cut 200mm soft springs to fit into the 170mm 888vf? i cannot find 170mm springs anywhere.
    An 04 or 05 fork???? the springs are the same for either length fork. The damper cartrage is what is different.

Iron Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    An 04 or 05 fork???? the springs are the same for either length fork. The damper cartrage is what is different.
    thanks.

Iron Pony
    1 more question, you guys have been very help so far...at 150lbs. would the soft springs be the correct ones to run ~30% sag?