Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    YYZ
    mtbr member

7" travel DH bike

Looking for a 'mini' dh bike w/ 180mm of travel. Looked at local classifieds and narrowed my price range. Heard good things about both bikes.

I want to hear about what you prefer and your experience (if any) with the bikes.

2012 Giant Faith
    2012 Giant Faith For Sale

Thanks a lot guys, everything helps!
    John
    Last edited by YYZ; 08-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Check the Faith for cracks around where the seat tube and top tube join together. I know of two people who have cracked theirs frames. No problem getting them replaced but they were the original owners.

Eric

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Thank you for the input. Do you know of anyone that has a TR250?

Gnarly
    the Faith is listed as a size small and the transition is a size medium big difference ... get the bike that fits you better...

My husband had a 2012 TR250. Rode it at blue and Mont Ste Anne. Sold it because he needed more travel
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    The TR250 is quite a bit heavier and not pedal friendly like the Faith. Also you do realize the TR250 is frame only? Most are asking $3k for complete which is hilare to me but I guess that's what the market is commanding right now! An awful lot of them (TR250) for sale tells me the bike isn't all that. I had some time on the Faith and it was the most fun FR bike I've ever ridden.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    The faith is a freeride bike as well, not like a "mini DH bike". Not like the "slopestyle" genera bikes. I suppose you could fix it to some extent with a angleset headset and offset shock reducers, but it won't be anywhere near optimal.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The TR250 is quite a bit heavier and not pedal friendly like the Faith. Also you do realize the TR250 is frame only? Most are asking $3k for complete which is hilare to me but I guess that's what the market is commanding right now! An awful lot of them (TR250) for sale tells me the bike isn't all that. I had some time on the Faith and it was the most fun FR bike I've ever ridden.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Thank you for the input. I feel very stupid for not realizing that the TR was for the frame only. I should have known b/c of how cheap it was.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    the Faith is listed as a size small and the transition is a size medium big difference ... get the bike that fits you better...

My husband had a 2012 TR250. Rode it at blue and Mont Ste Anne. Sold it because he needed more travel
    Realizing know that the TR250 was only for the frame, I guess my only option is the Faith. I'm a small guy at 5'7 and I'm pretty light so I guess travel will be fine for me (I hope?). Again I am not quite sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The faith is a freeride bike as well, not like a "mini DH bike". Not like the "slopestyle" genera bikes. I suppose you could fix it to some extent with a angleset headset and offset shock reducers, but it won't be anywhere near optimal.
    So the Faith really is not a good DH bike. What bike should I look at then? Is a bike like the voltage more suitable or do you think it has the same problem?

Thanks
    John

YYZ
    mtbr member
    How about any of these?

Buy a Bullit for Christmas !!!!! For Sale
    2005 '05 Norco Shore For Sale
    2010 trek session 8 *need sold ASAP For Sale

Obviously the session but It's a little out of my price range. Norco seems great but the geometry scares me. Santa Cruz can't handle dh trails?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Session 8, sure, but it's a full on DH bike, a great one, but sounds like more than you are looking for?

Bullit, similar problem as before, more of an AM bike with BB clearance and such for pedaling. May fit the "best" of anything suggested so far, but you could do better IMO.

Norco shore, even worse than the Faith and same super-heavy "freeride" type bike and not "slopestyle".

Transition has made some nice bikes along the lines of what you want. The TR250 isn't one of them, but it may be worth looking for used transitions. Specialized Enduro SX is another good one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

YYZ
    mtbr member
    The only transition bikes I know would be the TR450, 250 and their old Gran Mal. I prefer something with 180mm of suspension +, especially for the bike park. There are a lot of rooty sections and drops. I guess however 170mm would be fine?

How about the Entourage? Is it the same as the faith?

I was also thinking about the SX Trail originally. It's a wicked bike but there are none in my area or in Ontario.

mtbr member
    Try to find a Canfield One. 7 or 8" in the rear, depending on the linkage mount hole you choose. Built like a tank, but still light. Climbs like an AM bike, descends like a nimble DH bike. I'm running a Float 180 fork on mine, and it feels great. It also doesn't void the warranty to put a dual crown on it, so you can go full DH (and still be able to pedal when needed). They were just discontinued this past year, so you'll have to see if you can find one used. But even used, the bike is absolutely amazing. Just do a google search on the bike and you'll see how beloved the bike is. Same with Canfield as a company. Top shelf guys, and even better products.

And sorry, I'm not selling mine. Ever.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    And sorry, I'm not selling mine. Ever.
    Haha I believe you. Never seen that bike before. Seems like the SX trail, really awesome. Sucks that they discontinued it. Searched it on pinkbike and craigslist and can't find any for sale

Anyways does Canfield only sell frames?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, 180 is a bit of an odd travel size, there are definitely some, but you might want to open up to 160-180mm, that would really increase the options. I assume you'd be putting a SC fork up front with 170-180mm of travel.

mtbr member
    You could also look at 2013 and older Intense Uzzi's. I run mine at 180mm, (7") front and rear and is just under 30lbs. Climbs good and descends great. It has G3 adjustable dropouts to change the geometry and the rear shock linkage is adjustable between 6.5-7" travel. I've ridden it at Mammoth and Snow Summit bike parks recently and it rocks. And like the Canfield, mine will never be for sale.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Thats crazy how its under 30lbs. Seems like a great bike. Just searched and there are none in my area but I'll keep a good eye on it. What are your thoughs on the SS2 or the transition blind side?

John

mtbr member
    I've heard good things about both, but I don't have any personal experience on either one. Here's a review on the SS2 though and they seem to like it. Good luck.

Intense SS2 Review - Sick Lines ? mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource
    Last edited by Shredman69; 08-11-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    If you don't mind buying used check out a 2011-2012 Specialized SX Trail. Their Status bike is basically the same frame, but with a pretty heavy spec. My 2012 SX weighs in a 36 pounds stock, and I've lightened it a bit.

Basically, it's everything I've ever wanted in a bike: 7" travel front and rear, awesome linkage design (let's face it, the FSR design was, is, and always will be a great design), 65* head angle, and a low bottom bracket height.

I climb pretty much everything that is climbable by leveling the saddle and pushing it forward on the rails, and I turn the shock's compression up to about 13 clicks in. I regularly out-climb XC guys. When I get to the top, I back the compression off, drop the post and let it rip. The thing is soooo much fun to ride! Super-nimble, soaks up everything, and is playful on trail-hits, transfers and gaps. Basically, it's a slopestyle bike that isn't out of its element in the gnar and pedals extremely well.
    HEY BIKE INDUSTRY: WE'RE NOT ALL CEOs !!!

YYZ
    mtbr member
    The SX trail is my number one pick, but none are in my area and no ones selling one. Unless.....................

you sell me yours?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YYZ View Post
    The SX trail is my number one pick, but none are in my area and no ones selling one. Unless.....................

you sell me yours?
    LOL. You're funny!!!
    HEY BIKE INDUSTRY: WE'RE NOT ALL CEOs !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

7" travel DH bike

Slightly confused as you say 7" DH bike, but now asking for slope style bikes...
    Anyway,
    Look for the following bikes-
    SX Trail last model year
    Voltage (CC ran them with boxxers, various shocks fit)
    Entourage
    Commencal supreme FR
    Giant Glory. (Before the geo changes when they were still wack, and short shock it to slacken it out and reduce travel)
    Demo 7
    Norco Truax (possible FR bike)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Specialized Enduro Evo might fit the bill as well. It's kind of the SX trail replacement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Specialized Enduro Evo might fit the bill as well. It's kind of the SX trail replacement
    Not nearly as burly as the SX was though. The Enduro is very light-duty compared to a DH bike, and probably wouldn't stand up to sustained bike park abuse for very long. The SX was built like a tank (and weighed as much too), but it could take quite a beating.

As was mentioned earlier, you might be able to find a Commencal Supreme FR for a good price. I hear it's a lot of fun to ride, and it may jump better than the DH model with the slightly shorter wheelbase.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Another great bike. But again I need to wait until one pops up in my area. A few on pinkbike but most are large/medium and don't ship.
    I will probably wait a couple months when a few more bikes start popping up on pinkbike. There will most likely be a better variety of bikes and hopefully cheaper.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Slightly confused as you say 7" DH bike, but now asking for slope style bikes...
    I just want a bike that will work good for the bike park and DH runs. I don't want go for a full on DH sled for cash reasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

7" travel DH bike

With the wheel size switch, you likely will find a lot of people dumping their 26er for the latest and greatest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast