SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

661 Vs Pro-Tec Vs TLD knee guards

I am sure most of the guys here had tried 661 Kyle Straits, but anyone tried the TLD T-Bone pads and the Pro-Tec Gravity Knee pads?

will be looking for new pads come next month, as summer is here in the Far Side of the Pacific, with El Niņo to boot!

I can find the 661 and the TLD at an LBS, they are both the same in price, while the Pro-Tec's a Large and almost half the price (methinks they are used).
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

I just wanna go fast...
    I've had both the tld t-bones and the kyle straits.

For me at least, it seemed like the TLDs would slide off a little easier, but the construction lasted longer than the 661s.

Something else I found is that I had to wash the TLDs way more to keep them from smelling like they had dog poop in em. If I didn't wash them inside out after every ride, they could clear out a room.

shreds often
    Apr 2009
    Go for the Fox Launch Pros if you can find them. Switched to these from Kyle Straits and they feel a whole lot better, imo, and haven't stretched out as much.
    vitalmtb.com

mtbr member
    The Pro-Tec's run small. Go up a size on what you think you use. The TLD's are bang on for size. I will second the TLD's stink problem. They are pretty dang tough at the same time. The Pro-Tec was pretty good in construction... unfortunately I did not run very long.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was in the same boat as you a little while ago, had several pairs of 661 and altought I liked how comfy they were, they always seems to self destroy within a few weeks.The elastic bands would be all stretched out after only a couple of ride and they nylon mesh would get all torn ...LAME

I tried on a pair of TLD and they didnt feel as comfy by like a mile...So I thought I was doomed to buy the 661 until I came across the ONEAL'S !!!!!!!!!

Super comfortable, BETTER fit than my 661 and in a little over 2 months of riding almost everyday they look just as new as the day I got them...Highly recommend them.

One thing I noticed with my 661 , they would always move up or down upon impact...not so good, but the Oneal even thought they look very similar have a slightly different plastic cup ( longer ) and it seems to do the trick.They tend to stay more in place.

Plus they are cheap :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=19025

Dont know if your shop can get them but you wont regret it if you end up buying them.

mtbr member
    has enyone tried POC knee pads and elbow pads?
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    guys

I have used all of these and just switched to POC VPD elbow and knees...all I can say is OMG!!! amazing
    and dont slide up like my 661's do in a sliding fall!!

Pretty cool how they mould to your teh shape of your knee/elbows

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    I was in the same boat as you a little while ago, had several pairs of 661 and altought I liked how comfy they were, they always seems to self destroy within a few weeks.The elastic bands would be all stretched out after only a couple of ride and they nylon mesh would get all torn ...LAME

I tried on a pair of TLD and they didnt feel as comfy by like a mile...So I thought I was doomed to buy the 661 until I came across the ONEAL'S !!!!!!!!!

Super comfortable, BETTER fit than my 661 and in a little over 2 months of riding almost everyday they look just as new as the day I got them...Highly recommend them.

One thing I noticed with my 661 , they would always move up or down upon impact...not so good, but the Oneal even thought they look very similar have a slightly different plastic cup ( longer ) and it seems to do the trick.They tend to stay more in place.

Plus they are cheap :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=19025

Dont know if your shop can get them but you wont regret it if you end up buying them.

I know an O'Neal dealer here, but I'm not too sure they carry O'Neal MTB protection aside from helmets. I'll check them out.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    hey Chuckie..did you gett them state side?
    Respect the Aina....Aloha