Thread: 661 sub gear??

mtbr member
    May 2008

661 sub gear??

Anyone have experience with sub gear? I would like to try the short sleeve for a bit of shoulder protection without restricting mobility and comfort. I would use it for lift service DH as well as some AM stuff from time to time.

mtbr member
    I think it's crap.
    Isn't going to do anything for you.
    I've got a bunch of 661 protective gear, which has brought me to the conclusion that most 661 gear is poorly designed and corners are cut in design/production.
    I ordered a sub gear shirt and sent it back.
    It's basically sh*t.
    Little things make a big difference-flat seams, locking zippers, more threads per inch, etc.
    661 is coasting and way off the back as far as industry standard goes.
    I ended up with the TLD equivalent and it's a WAY better product-better stitching, better materials, and way better padding. Plus, on the TLD piece you can remove pads to trim it down. Chest, back, shoulder on the TLD piece will actually do something. You can remove the gut and waist padding on the TLD piece and end up with something that will fit under most shirts and jerseys and not rub and chafe.

mtbr member
    I have the short sleeve subgear compression shirt. it's stupid tight. It wicks sweat well enough & dosn't stink. The shoulder pads will protect you good enough for most trail riding. I grazed a tree with mine & it didn't leave a mark. I also taken a couple of tumbles, that would have scratched my shoulder up, no marks. Once you get it on, you don't notice it. I wear mine for every ride now. It's not downhill tough but, it's plenty good for trail riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the opinion guys! Still can't make up my mind. Maybe I'll wait a while and see if I can get a deal. I would mostly use this for DH trails with a mix of lift service thrown in a few times a year. I know it's not DH rated on it's own, but it should be better than nothing? I'm not into wearing gladiator upper body armour, so it's this or nothing unless something better comes out. I'll take a look at the TLD option.