RHRF!

661 Race Lite Knee/Shin Guards

Does anyone use or have you used the 661 Race Lite Knee/Shin guards? I live in AZ and need a 'breathable/cooler' guard. I'm 5' 9" and have 'monster' calves and a fairly long femur. Would you recommend the Large or XLarge?

...or maybe I should just drop the cash and get the Roach Rally FR guards...

Thanks in advance for your comments!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    I am in AZ too, not that it has anything to do with you Question. But I did have the 661 and they did not stay up on my knees to well. I found myself adjusting them while riding all the time. I have the TroyLeeDesigns combat guards and they work a lot better. I would go Roach if it is between those and the 661.... I have heard good things about the Roach and a lot of the people here in AZ rock them...

-Quick

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    yah i think the 661's suck. the knees dont stay in place, they dont pedal well. not to mention the fit is weird. the quad/thigh straps are way short, and calve/ankle straps are way long..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    Does anyone use or have you used the 661 Race Lite Knee/Shin guards? I live in AZ and need a 'breathable/cooler' guard. I'm 5' 9" and have 'monster' calves and a fairly long femur. Would you recommend the Large or XLarge?

661 is too bad, you can choose TLD d2.

Appalache Cycles
    I found the rally pads pretty warm and I live in England which isn't the warmest of places! I have found the coolest are Fox Launch 911.

Rob

Race Lites are a waste of money. I used a pair for a season and not only do they not stay up and nor offer much protection for your knees, I find that they are not noticably cooler than the Rally FRs I now use. Which are excellent, BTW. Do not bother w/ the Racelites, go with the Rallys. You'll be glad you did.

Bum Buzzer

The new fox launch. no wrap around coveage, but very good - and they stay in place no matter what (I am 6'8" and have loads of problems with fit and moving pads - these rule!)

AND - they are cool (as in not hot) and very adjustable for your big calves.

BTW - In addition to the Launch 911's, I have the Rally DH legs and FR arms, old 03 Fox 911, 661 4x4's - the Launch 911's blow them all away! Rally arms suck butt - legs are ok, old 911 is ass (turned them into shin guards), and I love my 4x4's but they're worn out... they are my winter pads because they wrap and are warm!
    Last edited by Huck Banzai; 01-18-2006 at 11:03 AM.

RHRF!

Roach it is!

Bit the bullet today and picked up a pair of x-lg Roach Rallys at the LBS. Hey - my legs are worth it!

Thanks to everyone for your advise and RHRF! (Ride Hard, Ride Free!)
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)