mtbr member
    Oct 2005

661 pro or regular pressure suit??

After too many bad crashes I've decided to get some armor. I could go either Rockgardn Flak jacket or 661 presssure suit. I think they'd both get the job done so it's really price that will make the decision.
    Does anyone know the difference though between the 661 pro and regular pressure suit.
    They look very similar and 661 has the regular on sale on their site for $99..I could get the pro for $139 on another site. Is it worth the 40 extra bones?
    [SIZE="5"]To insanity and beyond.....[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    i would say yes... i had the original pressure suit and wasn't really happy with it (the red one). It was pretty bulky and didn't fit very well. The newer armor by 661 looks pretty nice, but if the old model is what your talking about the extra money is definitely worth it. I swapped mine for the flak jacket and it's done pretty welll. Plenty of protection but is just really bulky. I just picked up a core saver last weekend so i'm looking forward to trying that out now...
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside

Bikes are kewl.

mtbr member
    661 pro pressure suit was on chainlove yesterday for $99 so keep an eye out there too

mtbr member
    I just bought the 661 pressure suit and have had 5 days of riding with it and I love it. It is my first time wearing armor so I can't compare it to anything.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I had a standard 661 suit. It was so hot, poor fitting, and restrictive that I attribute it directly to a few crashes. It served its purpose when you hit the ground but was awful to ride in.

I've tried on most every option on the market except POC. I purchased the 661 Pro last year. The 661 Pro is very similar to the Dainese Race Jacket at a much, much lower price point. From a quality of construction and protection, it is quite good. I have no issues with the stitching, velcro, zippers, etc. Fit is a personal thing. The 661 Pro fits me very snug, which I like. I can just mange to pull my stretchy size Med Royal Jerseys over it. The fit feels slightly more restrictive just standing in the parking lot that I might like but with everything nice and snug, it stays put when I go down. It also tends to feel more like an extension of your body on the trail rather than a bulky bunch of plastic tied to your back.

Most of the time, I just ride in a full face, 661 evo knee pads, and Dainese armored gloves but when it gets really gnarly, I'm stoked to have my pressure suit.

SamIAm
    flack jacket DOES offer more protection than the 661 offerings. and the ability to remove the arms/back plate.

but it all comes down to fit really. i be skinney/tall and flackjacket fits me well.

if you can try anything on do that first. even if you need to make a day trip out of it.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I have had both, and the Pro fits so much better, and is cooler to ride in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Having owned the regular and watching my buddy ride with the pro on id say get the pro. It is much more streamlined and fits better.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Had a pretty gnarly crash yesterday at 7springs. The conditions were dry with very, very loose over hardpack and slipped out on a berm and cut my arm up pretty bad. Thankfully I was wearing my FF (took a blow to the head) and knee/shin guards. But I decided it was time to get a neck brace and upper body armor. Ordered a Leatt Club but was looking at the 661 Pro Pressure suit. Are the guards on it like hard plastic, or soft rubbery texture, cant really tell from the pics.
    Where's the best place to pick one up btw? $229 on the 661 site is more than I want to spend atm.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think armor would be a good idea.

mtbr member
    My 661 Pro is a great fit. The velcro on the left shoulder pad is so small it pops loose as soon as I move. That makes my left shoulder pad always loose and very moveable. The elbow/forearm pads rotate out of the intended position and don't properly stay put, meaning my elbows are exposed, even though I want them covered. Outside of that, it's fine. I have to move everything around each pause or I'm not covered.
    My cheaper, lower-priced 661 Strike pressure suit stayed put and had good velcro. Go figure. I'm actually thinking of wearing the old elbow/forearm pads I had before the suit, because they stayed put better.
    But definitely get some upper body armor. See if you can use a friend's armor first, if you can, so you know that it works on your body type.

Capricious youth...
    I have the regularly Pressure Suit. I tried on the Comp, the Pressure Suit, and the Pro. The Pro fit really weird on me, so I went with a small Pressure Suit. I'm 6' and 165lbs, so obviously the sizing was a little strange... but it fits me very well.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I ride the medium '08 661 Pressure suit. I take out linebackers with the shoulders regularly. The sleeves are a bit long for me too so I get a bit of bunching, makes things hot. It's only a few more months before the thing gets up and walks away on it's own (I've used it A LOT) it's so stinky. For replacement, I'm looking at the PRO model and the CORE type models.

mtbr member
    I have the old 661 suit with RF arms. The only issue I had with mine was the back spine. It was too big and curved in at the bottom near the tailbone. I ended up cutting some of the plastic off the bottom and it fits much better now.

mtbr member
    I just got the 661 pressure suit. Its really nice and I think its definately worth the money. Although I look like a ninja turtle wearing it, it makes me more confident and in a sense makes me go faster. I like it alot and really recommend it to people.......so i am not the only ninja turtle on the mountain. Well heres a pic of it on....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I got my 661 Pro Pressure suit on Chainlove for $99 a couple weeks ago. It does fit a little weird and I had to exchange the large for an XL ( no prob for Chainlove though...those guys rule). I haven't had it out on a ride yet...hitting N* this Friday. The velcro issue mentioned above is going to be a problem I think. It's tiny piece of velcros that holds that strap and it takes nothing to pop it loose. Might add some more to fix it.....
    The pads are mostly hard plastic...I think the chest protector is a softer material with a harder insert under it. $99 bucks though...that's tough to beat.
    [SIZE="5"]To insanity and beyond.....[/SIZE]